3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   New Member Welcome Thread (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22542)

Arcas December 7th, 2010 04:35 PM

Re: New Member Welcome Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 262798)
So, while it may not be the awesome monotone reply you were looking forward to, hello new guy and I look forward to having conversations with a fellow Dazaholic.

:D

Thanks Fretslayer. You were monotone in my head, so that worked :lol:

Yeah, I think DS is more than serviceable. I really do like the painterly results its render engine delivers.

Darrell Lawrence December 7th, 2010 04:46 PM

How huge is the change from lowly Poser 4 to DAZ3D?

Fretslayer December 7th, 2010 04:48 PM

I still think the render engine for D|S creates some really solid results.

If I can be of any help with Daz stuff, feel free to ask.
Of the people around here, I tend to be the Daz guy.

In fact, here's a clip from an abandoned project of mine.
This was rendered in Carrara 7 Pro and then animated in After Effects CS4 where I also did the post production effects.

Jedman67 December 7th, 2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcas (Post 262793)
Oh yeah. Forget to mention... my drugs of choice are DAZ Studio and Photoshop. Could I do better? Maybe. But hey - they work for me. And frankly I could probably push DS a lot further if I took time to read the latest manual.

My drug is photoshop. but i've barely touched the thing the last few months; work and real-life and all :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 262801)
How huge is the change from lowly Poser 4 to DAZ3D?

Not that steep, actually. The biggest issue to work around is the layout and lack of cross-compatibility. Most poser stuff is compatible with Daz, but not vice-versa. The render engine is completely different and not as versatile as later versions of poser, but it's also a heckuva lot faster than poser. Um...and its far easier to set up NVWAS renders in D|S, lol!

Fretslayer December 7th, 2010 06:06 PM

Actually, I see a big difference between Poser 4 and newest version of DazStudio but I admit openly I am more of a Daz user than a Poser user. I have P4, P7, P8 and PPro but I don't use them often. Actually I gave away my P4 several years ago. Also I have the Poser plugin for Max but it's really weird to get used to for me. I know that Poser Pro is part of it (and why I have it) Poser Fusion I think it's called. It (in theory) allows you to set up the scene in PPro and then export/import to Max were you can render the scene there. I thought about doing this for the project that Taranis and I have going (Star Trek: The Armageddon Clock) but the extra work in the pipeline made it not a possibility at the moment.

One thing I do know is that it seems that Poser (at least the newer versions) handle DISP mapping better than Daz Studio but D|S is free.

And yep, the render engine is much faster and if you tweak D|S well enough, the renders IMO are better looking than even the newest version of Poser.

Also there are a lot of new cool lighting addons for D|S and while I don't know if they work in Poser, I know the AniBlocks used in both D|S and Carrara are pretty awesome.

Darrell Lawrence December 7th, 2010 07:29 PM

Wait a minute.... I though Poser evolved into DAZ3D.

They're totally separate programs?

Arcas December 7th, 2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 262813)

:laugh: Yep.

Arcas December 7th, 2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 262808)
Actually, I see a big difference between Poser 4 and newest version of DazStudio but I admit openly I am more of a Daz user than a Poser user.

Ditto, but from my understanding of Poser 4, DS is considerably more robust. Especially the Pro version (the one that's not free).

Darrell Lawrence December 7th, 2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcas (Post 262817)
:laugh: Yep.

Yet DAZ3D can use all of Poser 4's CR2's and models, right?

Fretslayer December 7th, 2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 262813)

If you're joking, then yes they're the same.
LOL!

Otherwise, actually they are very different apps using different render engines.
I may be mistaken but I think Poser uses 'Firefly' and DazStudio uses 'DeLight'.

Since DazStudio is a free app, you should check it out sometime.
I used it for a few months...just long enough for me to make the decision to drop some cash on it's big sister app 'Carrara'.

Here's a link to the free version of DazStudio (there is also a pay version called DazStudio Advanced).

http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio3?_m=d

EDIT: Yes, you can use all of Poser's content in DazStudio.
They both use the same format for loading models but if you save a scene in DazStudio is saves it as it's own .DAZ file. Or something with that name.

But anything you can load in Poser you can load in DazStudio (and also Carrara).

Darrell Lawrence December 7th, 2010 08:37 PM

So who currently makes Poser then, if it's not DAZ3D?

Jedman67 December 7th, 2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 262820)
If you're joking, then yes they're the same.
LOL!

Otherwise, actually they are very different apps using different render engines.
I may be mistaken but I think Poser uses 'Firefly' and DazStudio uses 'DeLight'.

yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 262824)
So who currently makes Poser then, if it's not DAZ3D?

Poser is made by Smith Micro, which apparently bought it from efrontier. Daz3D was originally built to be a competitor to Poser by offering a free program and premium models - and a whole user base to make more free and premium models - for poser (but they were designed to mesh better with Daz)

Darrell Lawrence December 7th, 2010 08:53 PM

Damn. Shows how out of touch I am with Poser LOL Last I knew. Curious Labs were the makers of Poser 4. After that, I never followed Poser. Then DAZ showed up using Poser stuff, so I thought DAZ3D was the next step of Poser.

Sheesh...

Fretslayer December 8th, 2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 262826)
Damn. Shows how out of touch I am with Poser LOL Last I knew. Curious Labs were the makers of Poser 4. After that, I never followed Poser. Then DAZ showed up using Poser stuff, so I thought DAZ3D was the next step of Poser.

Sheesh...

Well, Poser has changed hands a few times since P4.

I think they're on P9 at this point. Not sure though.

Something else about DazStudio vs Poser (not that it's a competition) is that IMO the cameras in D|S are much easier to work with. As somebody who does animations rather than still renders, the camera controls are to me, very important. While I did like Poser back in the day I 100% hated its camera control system.

swiftflik December 9th, 2010 08:08 AM

Hi, I'm new! I'm Swiftflik, I'm currently messing with poser, creating a Star Trek comic that includes all of my work mates as the cast. Its mostly ideas at the moment and I've morphed only a couple of mates so far but I'll get there. Good to be on here.

gmd3d December 9th, 2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftflik (Post 262865)
Hi, I'm new! I'm Swiftflik, I'm currently messing with poser, creating a Star Trek comic that includes all of my work mates as the cast. Its mostly ideas at the moment and I've morphed only a couple of mates so far but I'll get there. Good to be on here.

Welcome aboard swiftflik.. your project sounds very interesting :drool:.. how about showing some of your work in the WIP area .. love to see any trek. :biggrin::light:

Some of us here are in involved in a animation so it good to see what other people are doing.:)

also thanks for saying hello .. :D

Fretslayer December 9th, 2010 08:41 AM

Hello Swiftflik.

I'd like to see some WIP shots too! :D

Welcome aboard, we have a good group of people here using everything from Max & Lightwave to Poser and Daz Studio so you'll fit right in.

We have a nice selection of Poser items in the download section that might be helpful for your project.

swiftflik December 9th, 2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 262867)
Welcome aboard swiftflik.. your project sounds very interesting :drool:.. how about showing some of your work in the WIP area .. love to see any trek. :biggrin::light:

Some of us here are in involved in a animation so it good to see what other people are doing.:)

also thanks for saying hello .. :D

Hi Taranis, I wouldn't get to excited with my stuff as I don't think its very good. I haven't been doing this very long, just starting but I seem to be addicted to it. Sorry wife. HA! Oh well:headduck:. Everything I've used is someone else's model but can't remember where I've got half of it from. Hopefully, I'll see what all this modelling stuff is all about. All head morphs are mine though, thats something I suppose. I seem to be quite good at the celebs, thats why I'm morphing my work mates.

Fretslayer December 9th, 2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftflik (Post 262871)
Hi Taranis, I wouldn't get to excited with my stuff as I don't think its very good. I haven't been doing this very long, just starting but I seem to be addicted to it.

Hey man, we all crawl before we walk and we all walk before we run and we all run before we fly.

Taranis can tell you that my animations have gone through many stages of development to get where they are now and I am sure they will continue to evolve as I get better at it.

The same thing applies to you.
We were all new at everything at some point.

The important thing is that you've begun the journey.
:thumbup:

swiftflik December 9th, 2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 262873)
Hey man, we all crawl before we walk and we all walk before we run and we all run before we fly.

Taranis can tell you that my animations have gone through many stages of development to get where they are now and I am sure they will continue to evolve as I get better at it.

The same thing applies to you.
We were all new at everything at some point.

The important thing is that you've begun the journey.
:thumbup:

Thanks Fretslayer, that means alot. I'll have a look around the forum, get my bearings and post my first page comic that I've done.