3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   New Member Welcome Thread (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22542)

evil_genius_180 October 7th, 2011 09:20 AM

Re: New Member Welcome Thread

Beginning or end of Dec? It depends on the individual person, when it starts and when in Dec it ends as to if it's enough time. Some people can probably whip up a bridge over the weekend, others will takes weeks, some will take months (I don't know why I'm explaining this to you, you already know it.)

gmd3d October 7th, 2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 (Post 266350)
Some people can probably whip up a bridge over the weekend, others will takes weeks, some will take months (I don't know why I'm explaining this to you, you already know it.)

YEAH!! :rotfl::rotfl: I in the last group ... Months :)

I think I will open a new thread and we can continue this chat there.

It will have to be later. I going out to a function later and need to get ready.

Reiko December 13th, 2011 01:57 PM

Hello and thank you for accepting my membership. I'm new to the 3D modeling scene but I'm having a fun time learning. I've been using 3D studio MAX and Anim8or mostly.
I hear lightwave is the better modeling software but that seems a lot more complex than 3DS Max.

gmd3d December 13th, 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiko (Post 266735)
Hello and thank you for accepting my membership. I'm new to the 3D modeling scene but I'm having a fun time learning. I've been using 3D studio MAX and Anim8or mostly.
I hear lightwave is the better modeling software but that seems a lot more complex than 3DS Max.

Welcome aboard

I use lightwave myself and feel the same way about 3ds max

Reiko December 13th, 2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 266736)
Welcome aboard

I use lightwave myself and feel the same way about 3ds max

Thank you :)
I notice that people who use lightwave tend to create much more detailed models. My computer can barely handle some of them so I may need an upgrade before I seriously tackle lightwave. :stunned:

gmd3d December 13th, 2011 02:15 PM

what kind of PC have you ram wise

Reiko December 13th, 2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 266738)
what kind of PC have you ram wise

I have 4GB of ram and the GC has 1GB ram.

gmd3d December 13th, 2011 02:32 PM

You have enough for LW
I have 4 GB ram

Reiko December 13th, 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 266740)
You have enough for LW
I have 4 GB ram

On the renders with very complex models could the slow downs be a processor issue? My processor is a three year old duel core.

gmd3d December 14th, 2011 01:31 AM

It would depend on what you have in the image and what settings , more ram is better for sure and you only know by doing it, you commented in shaggy´s "Fire... ...Everything!" thread,

Shaggy could answer this much easier as I only model (not finding the time to practice with the layout side of Lightwave).

check out the Tutorial Section (Handy links) tread you find in my signature area and we have a few tutorials in the link above (in the same area as Home, Info, Tutorials, Gallery, Downloads, link, you will find some help there too.

At the moment we are having issues with our image hosting but if you start either to model or render and need help, you can use photobucket (free account) and post it here and we can help you if we can.

I use photobucket myself.

rchmillar December 23rd, 2011 05:40 PM

Hi there new member on this thread saying hello. New at this so don't have a lot to say right now.

gmd3d December 23rd, 2011 05:45 PM

No problem, welcome aboard and Happy Holidays

cabal23 December 27th, 2011 09:09 AM

just .. thanks ^^

gmd3d December 27th, 2011 10:14 AM

Welcome to 3DG

wmwconnors January 22nd, 2012 12:28 PM

So...I've been doing 3d art for about a year now, but I'm only starting to think about making some 3d models of my own. Hopefully, this is a good place to pick up tips.

At the moment, I have played around with Sketch Up (for some work projects) and then started working with Hexagon. I tried Blender (free is good when that's about the limit of your budget) but found that it wasn't exactly intuitive (at least for me).

I'm hoping to be able to create some classic ships from old SF Films as starters - for example, I'd love to find a model of the old space ark from When Worlds Collide and then try to make one of my own that matches it.

Anyone, this looks like a great forum, so I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

gmd3d January 23rd, 2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmwconnors (Post 267008)
So...I've been doing 3d art for about a year now, but I'm only starting to think about making some 3d models of my own. Hopefully, this is a good place to pick up tips.

At the moment, I have played around with Sketch Up (for some work projects) and then started working with Hexagon. I tried Blender (free is good when that's about the limit of your budget) but found that it wasn't exactly intuitive (at least for me).

I'm hoping to be able to create some classic ships from old SF Films as starters - for example, I'd love to find a model of the old space ark from When Worlds Collide and then try to make one of my own that matches it.

Anyone, this looks like a great forum, so I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Welcome aboard.

I like old scifi films myself.

I have not see the Space Ark from when world collide made in CGI, (That does not mean no one has tried) if not, you could be the first to build it.

But its a simple shape so your best bet is to look for all the reference material you can, screen caps, or any on-line modelling source.

I found this after some searching to get you started.
http://thegreatcanadianmodelbuilders...1_archive.html
and this even better image
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/90164903...ide---Spaceark

evil_genius_180 January 23rd, 2012 09:04 AM

Welcome aboard. I too enjoy old Sci-Fi films. I'm looking forward to seeing those projects. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmwconnors (Post 267008)
(free is good when that's about the limit of your budget)

I hear you on that one. In fact, there are a lot of us in that boat. I use as much freeware and open source software as I can.

wmwconnors January 23rd, 2012 10:14 AM

Wow. That Canadian model is just too cool! And the technical drawings look like a great place to start - although I have to say I am rather at a loss as to where to begin. I guess I will just jump right in and see how far I get before I start weeping openly.

gmd3d January 23rd, 2012 10:28 AM

You can create a new thread on the Space Ark and you could get some help ...

you have to use photobucket or flickr to post images at the moment we have problems with our file management system at the moment.

both are free

magnetmage March 5th, 2012 10:38 AM

Hi all, I'm new here and trying to reach the goal of 5 forum posts so I can get into the downloads section. :) Can anyone tell me where I can find Trek MORPHS/Textures for Poser figures? Thanks, peace, and long life.