3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Favorite "OLD" movie (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20617)

moovok December 13th, 2003 03:13 PM

Favorite "OLD" movie

I've been recently watching the making of the Indiana Jones movies, and they're such classics. The days before CGI was used throughout most movies. The days when actors would do their stunts and it be serious if they do hurt themselves. My Dad and I were on about Steven Spielberg's wife being the woman from Romancing The Stone (which she isn't of course).

But, I wondered, what are other people's favorite oldish film. Goonies? Romancing the Stone? Indiana Jones? Mine has to be Goonies, but there are sooo many to choose from.

Kai December 13th, 2003 03:55 PM

here there's many...

Silent Running.. the Time Machine.. First Men in the Moon... all the Harry Hausen movies.. just to many to pick just one...

moovok December 13th, 2003 05:11 PM

You have to try. There must be one that if you lived on a desert island (with a DVD player, solar panels, and a TV) you could watch over and over again, and enjoy every moment.

General Phoenix December 14th, 2003 04:30 PM

One of my favorites is "Enemy Mine" with Lou Gossett Jr. and Dennis Quaid. It's not THAT old, made in 1985, but it's still a kind of classic to me.

021310061976 December 14th, 2003 10:55 PM

a clockwork orange
2001: a space odyssey
the day the earth stood still
night of the living dead (original)

those are some of my tops among older films. if i had to pick one to be stuck on an island with, it'd be the day the earth stood still. the others are either too twisted, long, or sick to deal with repeatedly.:)

scaramanga December 21st, 2003 04:59 AM

War of the worlds 50's scifi power ;) :D

Thomas P December 22nd, 2003 04:30 PM

Well, an old one would have to be "First Men in the Moon". I think in concept and execution it holds up very well today.

cobrastrikelead January 9th, 2004 11:07 AM

Outlander.

(I hope I got the title right.) But Sean Connery was cool in that movie. I thought a space movie without lasers and large ships was going to be boring but that one kept me on interested the whole time.

General Phoenix January 9th, 2004 03:02 PM

Actually, it's just "Outland" -but I agree, it was an excellent movie. I've got it on my DVD shelf. :)

Sess January 10th, 2004 08:08 AM

Well I've no really favourite "old" ones. All the stuff is 30 to 40 years old maximum.
Shtirlitz (17 mgnoveni vesni) is my favourite... It's a spy movie, but not like 007, there's no action, only lots of fear and psychology and ponderings.

If I must name an American one, it'd have to be the old Zorro series.

c_looney January 13th, 2004 06:49 PM

Old movies? One of my favorites is "Twelve Angry Men" with Henry Fonda...runners-up include War of the Worlds and The Time Machine.

Sean Kennedy January 14th, 2004 02:43 PM

Hmmm.....Favorite Old Fantasy and Scifi movies...

Metropolis (1927)

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

On the Beach (1959)

When Worlds Collide (1951)

20,000 Leagues under the Sea (1954)

Not so old.........

Quiet Earth (1985)

Until the End of the World (1991)

moovok January 14th, 2004 03:24 PM

I know when I said old, I didn't state which year or anything, cause to me old classics are like Goonies, etc. But each person has given a cool film on their terms of "old".

I recently bought a "old" and "classic" DVD today: Renassance Man (with Danny DeVito). Classic and old film, can't wait to watch it now!

Vertigo1 January 15th, 2004 08:12 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dragonheart yet. ;)

A very close second would be....*drumroll*

The Final Countdown! :)

moovok January 16th, 2004 12:54 PM

I remember the Final Countdown due to the song. But can't remember the movie.

Vertigo1 January 16th, 2004 10:12 PM

Its basically about a "modern day" aircraft carrier getting transported into the past by a wierd storm. Its kinda neat, and does make you wonder how much damage that single carrier could've done to the japanese fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor. I don't want to spoil too much, but its a damn good movie. If you ever run across it, get it pronto.

Proximo January 17th, 2004 04:48 AM

Ohh I remember that one...

General Phoenix January 17th, 2004 08:07 PM

I hear a new DVD version of "Final Countdown" is being released soon - the previous versions are worthless, so wait for the new one. :)

c_looney January 17th, 2004 08:55 PM

Oh yeah, and Frank Herbert's "DUNE". :D

Sess January 19th, 2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo1
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dragonheart yet. ;)

that's because, compared to the book, it was too flat.

cobrastrikelead January 20th, 2004 04:13 PM

Another One; FireWalker

The inevitable Chuck Norris knockoff of Indiana Jones. But It is one of my favorite B-movies. Loved the part where Chuck gives the blessing, "E Pluribus Unum."

Commodore-SirJohn January 23rd, 2004 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by c_looney
Oh yeah, and Frank Herbert's "DUNE". :D
I do hope you mean the extended DeLaurentis version. While the miniseries was closer to the book as far as plot goes, that version was far and away the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen.

As far as my overall favorite movie, I'd have to say it's Colossus: The Forbin Project. Colossus was the parent of every "mad" computer since: WOPR/Joshua, Skynet, etc. Wish I could find the book it was based on, and the two sequels. Despite the fact that I've heard bad reviews of them, I'd love to see Colossus/Guardian in its original form.

Sekhem March 20th, 2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Phoenix (Post 231061)
One of my favorites is "Enemy Mine" with Lou Gossett Jr. and Dennis Quaid. It's not THAT old, made in 1985, but it's still a kind of classic to me.

Word. I love that movie. I recently bought a DVD two pack with "Enemy Mine" and "Alien Nation."

Some great sci-fi there.

Mamba March 26th, 2008 06:51 AM

Thought I'd be alone with "The Final Countdown." I wouldn't say it's desert island material but ya gotta love F-14s vs. Zeros.

Stoned_Dragon April 8th, 2008 05:12 AM

Kinda sad.

It's kinda sad that i'm only 22 and can feel nostalgic about this stuff, the same way i do about the old force five animations (Grandizer, Gaiking, Starvengers, etc) which where also before my time, didn't mean i wasn't raised on the stuff however.

Anyway here we go:
Sinbad
2001 space oddesy
War of the worlds (original)
To man others to name...

The original conan movie was also pretty enjoyable, if not 'that' old.

Svegg April 11th, 2008 10:07 AM

Kelly's Heroes

flashback April 23rd, 2008 11:46 AM

Oh, many of them... I like the real classics like Ben Hur and Doctor Zhivago and of course 2001 and for the really, really old movies, I like most Chaplin films...

Darrell Lawrence April 23rd, 2008 06:05 PM

The Last Starfighter.

Senmut April 25th, 2008 12:03 AM

I confess to liking old film noir flicks. One of the best of them all is 1947s The Unsuspected, with the ever-villainous Claude Rains.

Kenny_Z April 25th, 2008 07:42 AM

Batteries not Included.

I just made an Amazon wishlist of 'old' movies. It's basically a who's who of 80s geek movies.