View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:50 PM   #9
FattyPants

Default Imperfect humans are easier to relate to

You're right. It's easier to relate to people who aren't perfect, who are mere mortals like us.

Like Picard in First Contact. He succumbs to vengeful rage and wants to make the Borg pay, even though that betrays everything he believed mankind had thrown away in its quest to be better.

In that case, it did prove that he was imperfect, that even great men fall short, make mistakes. However, if it weren't for the backstory that mankind had moved past its warlike ways, Picard's arc would not have been as profound or poignant. Picard was a man brought down from the morality mankind had learned to adopt, all by a quest for revenge, and the "primitive" Lily is the one that points it out to him.

Because of that, it shows that there are other ways humans can fail besides being made to go to war with someone. I wasn't saying that the episodes which show a human failing on the part of a character were bad, but that the general direction toward a more confrontational style of writing is in poor taste and detracts from Gene Roddenberry's original idea. And the fact is that it's not right in my mind to take apart a man's dream and convert it into something we would like, even if that man has been dead for over a decade now.

But as for your point that flaws made the characters more human and easier to relate to, I have to agree 100% with you.