Thread: Art Theft
View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #28
Sealtm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia
I've tried searching for stuff on eBay and have never had any success, so I've never bought anything from there.

However, even if I could manage to find something I wanted to buy, I'd rather go to a store and pay retail price and take it home the same day and have some kind of recourse if the item is defective or broken. Besides, I'm not really gung ho about handing over my money to a stranger and taking them on faith that they will send me the item I have paid for.

I've seen too many documentaries about scams, and many of them involve telphones or online.

eBay is still very successful, but it's also a medium that is easy to get involved with and either scam or get scammed. Call me untrusting, but ...

Many times you are better off going to a store to purchase what you want. Not only because you can return or exchange the item if you don't like it or something goes wrong with it or the purchase but in many ways you can get it for less. Sometimes I am amazed at what people will pay for something by bidding for it on ebay PLUS the shipping when they could have found the same item in a department store for far less. I think people get caught up in the excitment of bidding that they don't think until it over. I bet there is much buyer remorse via ebay.

It used to be you found a trusted seller and did business with them. There was a group of us that bought and sold coins on ebay and we knew the good guys from the crooks. Some of the good guys are there but now have become very picky on who they let bid on their auctions. The rest, like me have just walked away from ebay as have many of the old time sellers who have gotten fed up with ebays tricks and lack of policing their site. Today you have to be so careful on ebay becuase they have let so many counterfit products and ghost sellers, who put up fake auctions then take your money an disappear only to return under another ID, that it has pretty much destoryed what ebay once was.

But I must tell you I do a lot of on line shopping becuase the nearest mall to me is at least 4 hours way in all directions. I live in a very small town and in the next town over there is a very small Sears outlet store, a walmart and one car/truck/snowplow/snow moblie/boat dealership and a Shaw's. SO alot of items people use around here are ordered on line or through catalog at sears. If I drive about two hours east I'll hit the only home depot in the area. Yes we do have electricity, phone, running water and inside heads (toilets) AND we just got cable! I choose to move to the boonies the to escape my former profession, crowds, noise, crime...basically hunmanity :cylon:
Not only that my wife is from this area and wanted to move back home after living in the rat race. Uh...sorry I got off topic. Just be careful when shopping ebay.