View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Henglaar

3 D CGI Lightwave 8.x and Poser 7: The Duel

I'm a newbie in both Lightwave and Poser, so I am undoubtedly covering old ground here.

I have completed (at a newbie level only) a Voyager-era comm-badge in Lightwave. Upon importing to Poser, I discover what appears to be extra geometry added to the object, distorting its shape and closing the holes in the object. (No, I'm not talking about the automatic rounding of edges that Poser does. This is something weirder.) :cylon:

This occurs whether I use the .lwo or the .obj file formats; if anything, the image appears to be slightly more accurate using the .lwo format.

If I load the .obj file into UV-Mapper (classic or demo-Pro), again, I see what appears to be extra geometry points in the image, although the mapping itself appears to be accurate enough. (I do not yet know how to use Lightwave's in-built mapper; time to haul out the manuals and do some more reading!)

I'll see if I can upload some images here to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

The smaller, dimmer image is the comm-badge in Lightwave, with the holes in the base plate. Note the arc at the bottom of the badge is correct.

The other image is in Poser 7. I cannot get separate colored faces, there appears to be extra material added to the bottom arc, and the holes are gone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CommBadgeLW.jpg (34.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CommBadgeP7.jpg (8.3 KB, 3 views)