View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
Serenity is a strong 4+ out of 5 stars movie.

A few dings make it a 4 for those few of us that actually got to see the series. Having 2 major characters killed off was disappointing and Zoey deserved more than to have her husband (Wash) killed (and btw - simply for shock value). Wash is really the best comic relief written into a show in a long time. Also, the 'single system' idea is a bit of a stretch. Though I'll give Joss Whedon a pass on that with some of the new discoveries in exoplanetary science.

The movies explanation of the Reavers was both disturbing and well blended into the Serenity universe. One could see the Alliance doing just this sort of thing.

River... You really have to see the series to appreciate this character. The movie does a great job of filling in the audience though. And, she is one bad ass hottie!

Last but not least - The Operative. One of the best villains I've seen in a while. A true believer - devote to the cause.
I agree with your highs and lows. Wash and Jayne are my 2 favorite characters just because they're both so funny. So, they really ticked me off by killing Wash, especially just for "shock" value. I know Summer Glau always wanted her character (River) to become a pilot, it was something she discussed as a possible character development with Joss Whedon before the show was canceled, but they could've done that without killing Wash. It's always a good idea to have a backup pilot. Mal and Zoe (and probably Jayne) can fly the ship, but not as well as Wash.

The explanation for the Reavers is perfect, I can also see the Alliance doing that. And the operative reminded me of the two guys who filled the same roll in the series, first seen in "The Train Job." I'd imagine they would've been some formidable bad guys, like the operative in the movie was, if the series had run longer.

And as far as hotties, I think all 4 women in the show/movie fill that role. Though, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WArrior
I think in some ways, it was a bit too similar to the last aired ep.
I don't see it. Was "Objects in Space" the last one they aired? I know it was the last one they made, but they aired them in a stupid order.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote