View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #195
Fretslayer

Default Re: New Member Welcome Thread

Carrara isn't that friendly with regards to modeling - only tweaking things in the 'modeling' room. I've spent a good bit of time in there and I wouldn't want to use it as a modeling tool.

Poser and D|S/Carrara use a very similar bone rig but the controls are very different in Carrara. I don't know how much time you've spent working in it but it's my app of choice and the figure controls work like spinning a giant hula-hoop that controls the movement in a joint area. You can set it to work with limitations (like your knee only bends one direction (well unless you're in a highspeed accident!)) and there are something like 3-4 different types of movement you can set your control to. Obviously if it's a left/right type of movement you get a 'flat' control as opposed to a 'round one'.

I have always liked Poser but hated their mesh controls.

Carrara Pro 6 and 7 have a ton of excellent tools and their bone rigging has to be the easiest one I've ever used. It's one of the things that got me hooked on the program in the first place.

I think I'd like to have a look at Truespace (after seeing what EG has done with it I'm very curious about it).

As for the Daz forums... It's a crapshoot at best. I've been going there for a long time and when I asked a question about how to get a more photo realistic render (a question regarding image quality) I got answers about how to pose the people. When I clarified what I was asking I got the dipsh!t comment that is now part of my signature.:laugh: