View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #54
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Miscellaneous Stuff

This is something I’ve been working on for a while now. It’s a Federation ship from the late 24th century, but the original inspiration came from a John Eaves concept drawing for the Enterprise episode The Expanse. This is the drawing I’m talking about:

The ship on the left, ignore the funky looking doughnut thing.

My original intent was to do the ship as John has it drawn, in the Enterprise era, maybe something from the Romulan War. However, after starting it, I decided I instead wanted to do something from a couple centuries later, around the time of the Dominion War. So, I started on a second saucer with a raised center. I was going to do a “normal” secondary hull and a more Enterprise-esque layout. I messed up the saucer and had to start over, which was when I got the idea to combine my idea with the John Eaves design. So, this is what I’ve come up with so far:

Obviously, I’m taking a fair amount of creative license here and making the ship as much my own as I am basing it on John’s sketch, but the basic layout is the same. I’m calling the ship the USS Apollo and it’s a light cruiser. It’s around 300 meters long, 160 meters wide, 41 meters tall and it has 12 decks. The dimensions will likely change a bit, but the 12 decks will remain constant. So, that’s what I have so far. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of work involved in getting that shape to flow the way it does and look like it does. (everything except the warp pylons and nacelles is one piece) Note: the colors are temporary. Everything will get new colors and materials later, these are just for WIP purposes.