View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Fretslayer

Default Re: V the new series

I'm not downing NetFlix in any way. Hell, I have it and I stream movies with it as well.

My point about the film industry not taking a chance is sadly true.
However, indy and 'B' level films are always different than 'mainstream' films are and more often than not they are where the next great trend in fims come from. Star Wars is the perfect example of the 'B' movie that no major studio wanted to touch. Another good example is the original 'Nightmare on Elm Street' - Again, nobody wanted it and it was what made New Line Cinema.

There will always be 'B' films out there and like anything some will be better than others, but that is the place I look when I want to see something or spot upcoming cinematic trends.

Hollywood is also too slow to understand vision. There was a film I saw in the theater some time back. I walked out thinking 'Wow! Now that was something!' and as I listened to the people around me I noticed I was one of the only ones who did not think the movie sucked. Critics bashed it at the time and time and the studio was really upset with it's director. Today that film's influence is seen in nearly every scifi film made. That movie was 'Blade Runner'.

I use music as an example much of the time because I spent 20 years working in that field and saw how often the record labels tried to force bands like 'Autograph' down our throats and in return we forced them to deal with Metallica, Testament and bands they had no desire to sign but saw how much money they generated. As such, the bands that were once on the fringe of the scene came to dominate it. I think film works in a similar manner on many levels.

Star Wars. I mean that sums it all up.

Films were once silent. Then they evolved.
Films were once black & white. Then they evolved.
It's time they do it again and give people a reason to spend the money, time and aggravation to return to the theater.