Thread: USS Tamerlane
View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #7
Aabh
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: USS Tamerlane

Hmm... Those are also some very good points...

I have to say, you are a brave fellow... I live in fear of losing my hands in an accident... And you have (In essence), and not only lived to tell about it, but have bounced back!

I really admire that!

I too think of myself as a stroyteller first... I guess I just don't have faith in my storytelling just yet. It's the newest and the oldest of my skills (I took many years "off"... so to speak), and after so many years drawing but not writing, I think I'm more confident in my drawing ability than my writing.

But I'm also kinda swayed by an encounter that I had recently, someone saw the new work on my comic and I swear this happened;

"This is your work?"
"Yes"
"It looks like you drafted it"
"Well, that's actually 3D."
"Oh."

Then he turned away from the work and lost all interest. I think it was then that I became accutely aware that even if I wanted to, I couldn't say "Well, I MODELED it..." It just felt like all the wind was taken out of my sails.

Part of the other problem is, the mesh that I'm currently using is ancient. Downloaded by a friend of a friend and given to me on a disk of random Star Trek pictures a zillion years ago. The model was an unpacked 3Ds file, had no textures (It wasn't even UV mapped), and had no readme... so, I'm using someone's model without being able to give them credit... and that makes me very, very uncomfortable.

Originally, I joined this site to replace my Saladin with a Saladin that I could credit appropriately... But I kept going back to that encounter... And since then I've just decided to join the community I may still download one of the beautiful meshes here... but I'm still feeling, a little, that at least my main ship... the one I use primarily... should be done by me...

I do see a lot of credit in your point, though... It's kind of strange... I hear so many people being so mad because their work gets "stolen" that I think I seem to skip past the thought that people might be really flattered to be part of another person's project...
Aabh is offline   Reply With Quote