View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #237
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
I was thinking about Star Trek Nemesis when I wrote this scene, they said that a lot of the character moments like this got axed from the movie, and it's rumored that they were among the best pieces shot. People had also commented that part of what made Specter as good as it was were the small scenes like this one that developed the characters more, so I figured why not throw it in.
They do that in a lot of movies, they sacrifice character development for action and special effects. It's sad, really. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they release a "director's cut" or "extended edition" where they put that stuff back in. Even movies that were huge successes like Avatar are that way. I have the extended version of Avatar and so many of the things that they put back in are character development scenes, they were most likely cut so that the movie wouldn't be too long (even though it was still pretty long) and so that less of the fighting scenes had to be cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
And actually, it does do something for the plot

Spoiler
Our heroes have mostly been focusing on the tactical aspects of how to defeat Garr, but there hasn't been much focus on the emotional angles. Then when he popped in on Prentice, suddenly our captain (and we) realized he was dealing with a human psyche after all--however damaged it might be.

First was Garr's own declarations, which bemoan his lost life and his rage at being abandoned by everything he ever loved. Then there's the discussion shortly after that about how the Federation would help anyone they could if it was within their power. And now we have a discussion about how love really and truly is something worth fighting for.

After the events of Specter, it sounds to me like we have the ingredients of a "how to stop the mad doctor" plan in hand.
Hm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that.