View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Fretslayer

Default Re: STAR TREK GENERAL DISCUSSION

Having spent my childhood devouring a steady diet of TOS in reruns and later my teen years doing the same with TNG I figured out something that really bothers me about the TNG series as well as the films.

In TOS the Enterprise was not huge.
In TNG the Enterprise is Texas with warp engines.

It's taken me some time to put my finger exactly on it but I finally have what bothers me about the TNG era Trek. It's too damn big. The rooms, the ships, the view screen and the lounge they called the bridge!

In the Kirk era the Enterprise is a small ship in a vast sea of emptyness and danger.
Like watching one of those 'Most Dangerous Jobs' crab fishermen out there in their fishing vessels. Sure they look huge when they're next to some poor bastard in his Carolina Skiff - but once they're out there in the big water they suddenly look like they've become a John Boat of Death.

When I watch TNG I never feel like they're in any real danger.
That takes all of the fun out of it for me. (on the other hand at least TNG has killed off a bridge member)

In my Trek animation I have some nice up-close shots of the starship - the beauty pass.
Then again, I also have some shots that are exteme long range so as to show just how tiny that 'huge' starship really is. It's a speck - an island in a vast sea of nothing.

Not to mention that TNG is just a weeeeee bit too P.C for my taste.
It seems like all of the newer Trek shows went that route.