View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #32
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Old Films , New Films Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Star Trek 5, suffered from the same thing and was closer to the old series than most which I think Shatner wanted to do. but again the story did not live up to to
it for a Movie.
ST5 was a doomed movie. There was a writers' strike in 1989, which is why TNG's 2nd season has 4 less episodes than the others. That strike greatly affected ST5. Plus, you had Shatner as a first time director and they couldn't use ILM due to a scheduling conflict, so they had to use a new effects house. Add to that the fact that Paramount kept slashing Shat's budget and wouldn't let up on their deadline and that spells disaster. There are whole scenes, especially towards the end of the movie, that didn't make it in due to budget and time constraints. It's amazing that he was able to do with it what he did. I like it, it's a darn good film, IMO, made even better when you know what he went through just to get it made. Though, it would be interesting to see the film as he envisioned it VS what was released and see which is better.