View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
@evil_genius: Specter was a WIP for almost four and a half years, it was started in August 2006 and it was finished right after New Year's 2011. As for the voice cast, the names that appear in the credits are people who auditioned and were cast for various parts, however there were complications and I decided not to move forward. (Long story short, I let myself get pressured into doing a casting call before I was ready, and then when the time came for my voice actors to do their part, many of them didn't; and rather than go through the whole process again, I decided to simply chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. I won't make that same mistake again--some of the folks I cast in Specter have been nagging me to send them scripts, but based on the number of rewrites I did in Specter before it was finished, that's not going to happen until a full cut of Retribution is complete)
Thanks for the explanation for the voice cast. Did you do most of the voices yourself?

I figured you had to be working on this for years. Your hard work certainly paid off. I noticed a couple rough spots but most of the animation was smooth. Though, those could have been due to the film itself, the fact that it was streaming or the Nvidia driver for Linux. I was watching the video in Chromium (the open source version of Google Chrome) on PCLinuxOS. Every now and then, I see funky stuff happen with video that's fine in Windows due to the Linux video card drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
And I'm just curious...there's one scene in Specter that split the fan base right down the middle, and that's Scene 38, "The Holodeck," right after Reyf visits Garr's old office, in which the good captain finally cracks the case. How did you like that part?
Spoiler
You mean the Price is Right set?

I don't have a problem with that. We've seen on lots of episodes where various characters have had fascinations with the past. Picard and Data recreated Shakespeare plays on the holodeck all of the time. Additionally, Picard also had his Dixon Hill fixation, Data loved Sherlock Holmes. Tom Paris on Voyager was a huge 20th century buff. He recreated all kinds of 20th century stuff on the holodeck, he even built a car on there. B'Elanna even replicated a TV for him once so that he could watch it in their quarters. Trip Tucker on Enterprise loved old horror films. There are other examples but I've made my point.

So, Garr being a 20th century buff and liking that particular TV show was not a problem for me. (for the record, I love that show also, so at least he has good taste) The truth is, we have no idea how popular media of today will be accepted 300+ years in the past. A show, song, book, whatever, that we find dreadful might become some future person's love. So, for me personally, what you did works just fine for me.

Unless that wasn't what split the fans.

BTW, did you guys build that set or was it pulled from the PC game and converted? Either way, it was beautiful.