View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #393
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

In fairness, what I changed wasn't that major. I've been remastering the exterior shots. Basically, I'm doing what the actual visual effects teams did when they were still working with physical models: one pass is the physical ship, another is the windows, another is the warp engines, and so on, and then they're all matted in together. This does make shots more elaborate, but it also allows me to manipulate each layer individually. Look closely and you'll notice now that the windows on the Fitzgerald all have a "glow" to them instead of just appearing to be lit from within, as will the warp nacelles.

Also, the lighting on the "physical" layer is improved now. Before, those shots all had one key light, and very "flat" fill lighting, you didn't get much detail on the hulls of ships. Now, I've changed it so that the fill lighting is less "flat" in appearance, and you actually get some texture on the hulls (they look more "shiny" and metallic now).

It's subtle, but there if you know what to look for. To me, it's like night and day, but then again I've been staring at these things for so long it's hard for it not to leap out. There are a few scenes where you have old and new right next to each other--take a look 90 minutes in, for instance, when Drakus goes out to examine his fleet. The first Warbird he sees when he drops out of warp is now rendered in the "new" style, while the next shot when he flies over the same ship looks very different. To me, the first shot looks orders of magnitude better.
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote