View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: BABYLON 5 - Artworks by ulimann644

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
The Leonov was used on Babylon 5? Really?
in a sense yes .. I found this on line about the design

Quote:
This design bore similarities to Syd Mead's design of the Leonov, a fictional Russian space ship that appeared in the 1984 movie 2010:The Year We Make Contact. When asked for an explanation, J. Michael Straczynski stated on the rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated newsgroup:

"The ships on 2010 and Babylon 5 operate out of the necessity of traveling without standard SF artificial gravity. These designs have been discussed among scientists (in general) for ages; so there's no intention to be close to 2010, but when both are based upon the same scientific principles, there will be echoes. Form follows function." — J. Michael Straczynski, Source: jmsnews quote archive (1995)

The Leonov leaving Jupiter towards the end of 2010 showing the profile of rotating section.

However, years later Paul Bryant shed light on the subject:

"Yes, I can confirm that I ‘lifted’ the centre section off the Leonov in 2010 for the centrifuge. That's why the profile is exactly the same. I was feeling mischievous, so I added this little nod to the design. I thought someone was going to spot it immediately but no, it was years before anybody called me on it (it would have been an easy fix to change the profile)." — Paul Bryant, Source: B5Scrolls (2008)

The Omega was also designed to appear both un-aerodynamic and imposing. Part of this approach was the inclusion of what later became known as the 'hammer head' by some fans of the show. Namely, the 'cheeks' on either side of the forward-facing fighter recovery bay which were inspired by the Smoke deflectors (or lifters) that appeared on some later steam locomotives.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote