Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 27th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #31
JasonA

Sean did you have anything to do with Star Wars Revelations? I just saw it a couple days ago, and I was really impressed with the CG work (although the acting left a little to be desired ) Anyways, I've been noticing your Blade runner stuff here (and galactica too, I'm not sure?) which is pretty potent looking stuff, and then I thought maybe you were also involved in the SW fan flick.

to answer your question, I'm using Maya 6 these days. I actually stopped using max a couple years ago. This model is 100% NURBS (ala Rhino style) surfaces, no smoothed polygons or subd's.
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #32
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA
Sean did you have anything to do with Star Wars Revelations? I just saw it a couple days ago, and I was really impressed with the CG work (although the acting left a little to be desired ) Anyways, I've been noticing your Blade Runner stuff here (and galactica too, I'm not sure?) which is pretty potent looking stuff, and then I thought maybe you were also involved in the SW fan flick.
1. Yes they used my meshes posted at SciFi3D.

2. They used my blockade runner, my medical frigate, my rebel transport, my mon cal cruiser, and my Imperial Star Destroyer bridge.
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details....tID=10&key=470
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details....tID=10&key=250
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details....tID=10&key=252
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details....tID=10&key=251
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details....atID=8&key=302

3. No, I did not work on the film directly.

4. Yes they used some of the blade runner meshes from scifi 3d as well. They did not se any of my personal blade runner stuff, as I have not yet released any of the fan movie meshes to the general public.

5. I agree that the acting was not great but the effects were outstanding.

Quote:
to answer your question, I'm using Maya 6 these days. I actually stopped using max a couple years ago. This model is 100% NURBS (ala Rhino style) surfaces, no smoothed polygons or subd's.
Cool!
Are you still under obligation not to share your Discovery mesh? I thought you had mentions at one time that you'd been contacted by the film studio and asked not to distribute it. Just wondering.

www.seansgallery.com
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #33
JasonA

Yeah boy that was awhile ago.. I can't remember the MGM guys name now, but I hadn't heard a thing since then. I can't really remember what spawned that either although Dew Back told me that Discreet was using my Jupiter Orbit pic on the discreet support forum (along with many others, it has a random intro screen pic). Anyways, I think it was a warning not to use it in any commerical ventures, so I wouldn't be worried about it. But I guess I'm still very hesitant on releasing my meshes publicly. I'm not a well known 3d artist, so I'm a bit insecure in that regard.. :p
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #34
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Quote:
..... Anyways, I think it was a warning not to use it in any commerical ventures, so I wouldn't be worried about it. But I guess I'm still very hesitant on releasing my meshes publicly. I'm not a well known 3d artist, so I'm a bit insecure in that regard.. :p
I understand...I'm not well known either...yet....
but if you ever feel like trading or sharing meshes, let me know.

www.seansgallery.com
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #35
JasonA

Here's what I've got done for the front widgets inside the photorp launcher. The reference images are good for the center and right half, but they're not so great for the left side. If anyone has a decent pics of this, I'd be greatly indebted!

Next on the list is the rear and then the upper and lower paneling..

Old April 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #36
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Sorry, no help from me. This has gone so far beyond any constructive criticism I could offer. I'm just sitting back and enjoying your progress.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #37
JasonA

Well, still if you see something let me know, cause once I get far down the road with it I won't want to fix things that have cascading consequences

I finished up the rear widgets and am working on wrapping up the paneling elements before moving on. Here's the rear end details then..

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM   #38
JasonA

I finished off the paneling on the photorp launcher, and did some tweaking on the nozzle shapes. Now time for the mainhull. Started by cutting in the major chunks and blocking out major widget areas. Nothing too major, but a typical starting point

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM   #39
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

As it goes so far, it looks like you'll have another winner! Great progress, impressive work.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM   #40
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Looking sweet!

www.seansgallery.com
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #41
JasonA

I decided to revisit the bridge module briefly because I really didn't like the end result topology that I had the first time around. Plus I wanted to fillet all of the edges together to get that nice smooth look that the actual prop has. So I basically reworked it and came to something I'm much happier with.

Also I was fiddling around with the tesselation options *just in case* I decide to convert this model to polygons, although my intentions are still to leave everything all NURBS. In the pic below you can see the rendered, vrs nurbs wire, vrs poly wire for the same model. This level of poly detail I thought was a decent compromise, although I could make it more/less high poly if it seemed appropriate.

Old May 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #42
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Is the front part of the bridge right above that cutout indented? It looks like it in the left wireframe, but not in the poly wireframe.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #43
JasonA

It's not indented but the NURBS wire has a couple isoparms right at the edge and I should probably remove them . But I'm not sure which wire you're referring to, because the left wireframe IS the poly wire. The one on the right is the NURBS wire
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #44
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I was referring to the left wireframe.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #45
RonH

*bumpety bump bump*
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #46
JasonA

I'm putting the finishing touches on the primary and secondary hulls now, I'll post pics probably tomorrow
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #47
JasonA

Hi all,

I've pretty much wrapped up all of the modeling on this ship, although I'm still working on a few detail widgets here and there. I have started setting up some of the texture bases (colors) and will soon start the shading and texturing. Here's a couple of wide shots so you can see how she has ended up. These pics don't do the detail justice, but I figured overall shots might be better for now. Forgive the blown out lighting on the front one, I was playing with FG in mental ray but clearly I need to work on that a bit.

I'll post some upper/lower shots later

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #48
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Holy crap! Just like that - done! Looks great and would love to see the top and ventral views.

My Site

My Blog
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #49
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Whoa - that's beautiful!
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #50
JasonA

wow guys the the new theme is cool.

Hey thanks for the comments. I actually re-rendered the two images above because I didn't like how the final gather effect was almost washing out the appearance of the model (I don't usually use GI). Anyways, I added a spotlight which helped out alot. Check em out

I made a preliminary top view last night but it showed a serious oopsie with my saucer grids which I need to go fix so hopefully I can post the upper dorsal and ventral views on the weekend. I think after that I'm going to have to take a break from this model because I'm feeling burnt out at the moment (I've thrown almost all of my spare time at this model over the last two months)

Cheers,

Jason
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #51
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

No no no... no breaks allowed until after you're done and you put this up in the Gallery

She looks great, Jason!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #52
SeanP
Master Pilot

Hey Jason!
Been a long time.
She is a real beauty man, just like your Enterprise is.
I always wanted to model this ship, but when I was building ships I didn't have the skills needed.
Now that I have the skills I don't have the time because I'm working on my cars.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #53
JasonA

heh warrior... I need battery charging time! btw, whats going on with colonial fleets? is it merging with 3dg or something?

sean hey bud long time no type! I visited your website, wow those muscle car renders of that camaro are uber-delicious. sweet work man, I think you need to come back to starships..
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #54
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Jason, dunno if you recall that Fleets originate from 3DG, along with Subspace and Agora.

Thing is, Fleets has come back to its original owners, and 3DDG has came back to its original owner.

They'll be seperate sites, of course, but closely tied once again.

All scifi stuff (plus whatever else we can come up with :laugh: ) will be here, while BG related stuff will be there
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #55
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

This model is definitely going on my desktop once you texture her up. Outstanding work!
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #56
JasonA

Cheers Hey skyhawk what movie is the ship in your avatar from? it reminds me of a ship I saw in a movie way back when I was a kid but for the life of me I can't remember it.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #57
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

The Last Starfighter. It's a Zurien ship.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:17 AM   #58
Crusader
Digital Sorcerer

Very nice Jason, any new updates?
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:39 AM   #59
JasonA

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates as of late. I've pretty much wrapped up the modeling of this ship (I finished off the underside widgets and made a few corrections and rebuilds). So I'm starting the texturing now. I'm going to try and do this where my texture setup is as procedural as possible using base maps. This way I can get the thing textured decently to start with (my focus over the next few weeks) and then I can improve the base maps over time (at my leisure). I'll probably start with the bridge and work my way off the saucer.

Anyways, I don't have much to show at the moment since I'm still deciding on my texturing paridigm, but here's a top shot GI shot that looks decent

Last edited by JasonA; June 2nd, 2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM   #60
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

O..M..G! I know a dozen folks that would call this done! (Yeah, I'm one of them ) This is one heck of a model - another outstanding (and humbling) project.

My Site

My Blog