Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old October 19th, 2001, 06:32 PM   #1
FirstBorg

Default Need tutorial

Hi, I need some tutorials on texturing, espacially UV maping. I startet yesterday with UV, but it was complicated for me, so I need some tutorials on it. The best tutorial would be a full step tutorial where everything form starting modeller to render is explained.
Old November 11th, 2001, 02:13 PM   #2
Ethangar

hmmm thats a bit of a tall order to go from modeling to rendering. I'll give you a hand where I can. What are you using to make the textures in?
Old November 11th, 2001, 03:01 PM   #3
FirstBorg

the Uv thing I have done on my own. Now I know how UV works, not perfectly but its enough. But I still have problems in making textures in photoshop. Its not a problem, but I dont know how to make them.
Old November 11th, 2001, 03:16 PM   #4
Ethangar

Ok... the painting part in photoshop isn't a big deal. What are you trying to make so I have an idea what your after in a quick PS tutorial. Also.. what version of PS are you using?
Old November 11th, 2001, 04:00 PM   #5
FirstBorg

I use PS 6.0
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:57 PM   #6
Ethangar

OK. No promises on time. I'm in the middle of Building WW-II Mosquito FB VI at the moment.....and getting ready to move I'll see if I can do up a quick one tonight and then you can just let me know where it falls short or needs more. What sort of textures you want to build for? This for your Spifire? Like this?
Tempest V MkII
Old November 11th, 2001, 10:05 PM   #7
FirstBorg

yeah something like this would be cool. the panels and some dirt or rust on the plane. But if you thinking of UV's for the wings...... I stenciled this darkgreen textures on the wing, because I tried it with UV on them, but it seemed to be too complicated for the wings, so I made UV on the Main body and stenciled the wings.
Old November 11th, 2001, 10:34 PM   #8
Ethangar

Actually I never use UV's on any of my planes. Just normal mapping modes like Planar and Cylinder. For doing the maps it doesn't matter much though. Its just a background image that you paint over. I wouldn't have done the stencil on the wings. It gives the color for the camo there a very hard edge and while it looks like a good idea you then have to make 2 maps for the wing and worry about getting the panel lines and rivets to match up on the diffrent surfaces. It CAN be done that way but it involves Alpha maps to blend the surface etc.. Its easier to do it Planar through Y.
Old November 12th, 2001, 08:00 PM   #9
Ethangar

Is this along the lines of what you were looking for?
Aircraft Texturing 101