Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old September 17th, 2019, 02:04 AM   #1
gmd3d
Admin

Default Star Trek Constitution Re-Imagined

My re-imagined constitution class, the biggest adjustment is the scale from "947 ft" to "1311’5 ft", I made changes to the overall scale with trial and error, once I found the canon scale is hugely problematic I work on it.

I did have it at 1260 ft thinking that it would fix the areas of interest. but that did not work on the Hangar bay. it was not large enough to have corridors to the side for crew access.

but one area I thought needed addressing is the deck heights what height are they and I worked from there, 10ft is the deck heights for corridors as seen in The Original Series, I realise it mostly this was for camera and dolly’s etc.. it is the visual established look for the series. Some of the decks in the secondary hull are taller, which I related to the needs of fuel, maintenance areas and cargo, for example in the connecting neck I have turbo elevator maintenances area. with the rescale, there is enough room.. just to do this.

One of my favourite sources is The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry 1968, and I have looked to it for guidance in some areas, (I think its canon though I also think that as the book was published in 1968 (second season) many idea and thoughts on scale wherein flux, busy enough just keeping the show on air.

In The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry the Hangar Deck height and width is 30ft by 60ft and 100ft long.. now I assume this is only the bay area proper and not including the corridors to each side (we see in Journey to Babel) at this new scale there is room for a corridor, while there is very little room practically none with the established scale of 947ft.

also I have with some adjustment with deck scales (something I did not want to do, but you can see I found some workable changes, most decks are 10ft, but in the dorsal neck they have 12ft and this works with lining up portholes (assuming mine are close enough) then in the secondary hull all decks save 2 are 10ft ,, the top and lowermost decks here are 16ft,, this is something I am not entirely happy with but,, these levels could have need for structural supports for the dorsal neck and perhaps something else,, antimatter storage or something..

but this works for me where as the accepted canon scale fails

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 02:35 AM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Re: Star Trek Constitution Re-Imagined

This is very thoughtful planning for making the adjustments you did.

Awesome work.

Should give folks a good platform for planning out their ship designs and such.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 04:50 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

Cheers, I have some internal sets made, rough layouts of the hangar and cargo bay I post later

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old September 18th, 2019, 01:54 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

Some more concept work, seeing how things fit, characters are scaled to 6ft. deck height, for the most part, is 10ft as keeping with the studio sets. they are/where the only thing that was real and I felt the visual impact of the sets needed to be reflected in this virtual exploration.

Some fans have disagreed with this favouring different deck heights so the model can be closer to the accepted canon scale.

but this does not work for me at all. I tried to fix everything into a 947ft ship but it does not work. the hangar bay and bridge and the very decks have very little room unless the hull/deck thickness is paper-thin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REDUX (14).jpg (142.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg REDUX (16).jpg (140.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg REDUX (17).jpg (108.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg REDUX (18).jpg (158.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg REDUX (20).jpg (89.0 KB, 1 views)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old September 18th, 2019, 10:38 AM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Maybe the outer hull/walls were made of a variation of transparent aluminum