Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #1
gmd3d
Admin

Default The Last Airbender movie

Recently saw the previews .. I think I will give this a shot in the cinema
http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/

anyone else going

I enjoy the cartoon when first shown .. original in many ways while some aspects puts me in mind of Monkey Magic from the 70s in there too. Son Goku in Japanese, Sun Wukong in Chinese. a fav of mine growing up.

(and if i was still growing up I would be taller)

Japanese television series Saiyūki (西遊記?), based on the classic sixteenth century Chinese novel Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en.

I have a copy .. love reading it..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
celticarchie

Default Re: The Last Airbender movie

I watched this on DVD recently and really enjoyed it. It was nice to see a film take it's time, introduce its characters and be natural with it's plot.

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

I was disappointed I have to say, more a direction fault than acting one. it had some much promises ... I think the director let the story get away from him....

I forget his name.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old February 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #4
IronRider

I thought this was a great movie. Could have been a little darker but good. Need to get it on Blu-Ray
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #5
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRider View Post
I thought this was a great movie. Could have been a little darker but good. Need to get it on Blu-Ray
Glad you enjoyed it..

I watched it the other night at a friends and thought the very same. a disappointing effort.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It got the Razzie (Oscar parody awards) for "Worst Picture" and M. Night Shyamalan got "Worst Director." (he's been on a bit of a downward spiral since "The Sixth Sense")

I saw it a while back on DVD. I thought it was just OK, not really bad but also not super special either. The acting wasn't bad, the directing could definitely have been better and the special effects were so-so. All in all, it seemed like a movie that could have been much more than it was. FYI, I've never seen the cartoons and know nothing about them, so I don't know how it compares, though I've read that it's not a good adaptation of the cartoons.
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
It got the Razzie (Oscar parody awards) for "Worst Picture" and M. Night Shyamalan got "Worst Director." (he's been on a bit of a downward spiral since "The Sixth Sense")

I saw it a while back on DVD. I thought it was just OK, not really bad but also not super special either. The acting wasn't bad, the directing could definitely have been better and the special effects were so-so. All in all, it seemed like a movie that could have been much more than it was. FYI, I've never seen the cartoons and know nothing about them, so I don't know how it compares, though I've read that it's not a good adaptation of the cartoons.
yeah .... I was not surprised.

I watch the cartoon when it was first shown and enjoyed it, it works on many levels.

they changed a few fundamental things in the film.

"like the Firebenders .... in the film they need a source .. burning wood or whatever..
but in the cartoon they don´t . they generate the energy within using chi and using their arms or legs can project the energy in a direction which becomes fire or lighting energy. "

I also found the movement to control the bending in the film slow and not quite quick enough... is a small thing but it look like the directer could not handle the visual and live action elements to make it smoother.

but that is my take on it.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm not a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan to begin with. I like Signs and Unbreakable is OK, but all of his other movies that I've seen suck. This was actually one of the better ones but, like you said, I don't think he could handle the effects. This might have been his first movie with big effects like that in it, I guess it should probably be his last.

I can see why he did what he did with the Firebenders, so that the one who could conjure up the fire on his own stood out, but if that's now it was done originally, he probably shouldn't have done it. Unfortunately, he's not the first director to make that mistake when doing an adaptation and he most likely won't be the last.