Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 8th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #31
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Old Films , New Films Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post

(meanwhile, "KHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN" is just plain cheesy. ) Plus, he's friggin' hilarious in Airplane II: The Sequel.
I like that "KHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN" scene.... don´t tell me that
you never been annoyed by someone and never yelled at them ,,,,,,,

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #32
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Star Trek 5, suffered from the same thing and was closer to the old series than most which I think Shatner wanted to do. but again the story did not live up to to
it for a Movie.
ST5 was a doomed movie. There was a writers' strike in 1989, which is why TNG's 2nd season has 4 less episodes than the others. That strike greatly affected ST5. Plus, you had Shatner as a first time director and they couldn't use ILM due to a scheduling conflict, so they had to use a new effects house. Add to that the fact that Paramount kept slashing Shat's budget and wouldn't let up on their deadline and that spells disaster. There are whole scenes, especially towards the end of the movie, that didn't make it in due to budget and time constraints. It's amazing that he was able to do with it what he did. I like it, it's a darn good film, IMO, made even better when you know what he went through just to get it made. Though, it would be interesting to see the film as he envisioned it VS what was released and see which is better.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #33
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
I like that "KHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN" scene.... don´t tell me that
you never been annoyed by someone and never yelled at them ,,,,,,,

Don't get me wrong, I love that scene. But it's corny as hell. It's a good corny, though.

I could just see Nicholas Meyer off screen telling Shatner "OK, do it one more time, but this time make it bigger." (and repeating that until it was over the top )
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #34
arrowhead42

I liked him screaming Khan's name too - I thought it was a good show of his rage. But IMO, one line could have made the final showdwon between Khan and Kirk sooooo much better.
When Kirk says
"Khan, we tried it once your way. Are you game for a rematch?"
No response.
"Khan. I'm laughing at the 'superior intellect'."

Right there.... right in that exact spot, Kirk should have looked right at the viewscreen and said

"Khan, you're a fool." Then ended the transmission, and left Khan to chew on that.
To me, that would have really ground salt into Khan's massive, damaged ego.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #35
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
ST5 was a doomed movie. There was a writers' strike in 1989, which is why TNG's 2nd season has 4 less episodes than the others. That strike greatly affected ST5. Plus, you had Shatner as a first time director and they couldn't use ILM due to a scheduling conflict, so they had to use a new effects house. Add to that the fact that Paramount kept slashing Shat's budget and wouldn't let up on their deadline and that spells disaster. There are whole scenes, especially towards the end of the movie, that didn't make it in due to budget and time constraints. It's amazing that he was able to do with it what he did. I like it, it's a darn good film, IMO, made even better when you know what he went through just to get it made. Though, it would be interesting to see the film as he envisioned it VS what was released and see which is better.
I agree. I read this in Shatner books ......

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #36
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love that scene. But it's corny as hell. It's a good corny, though.

I could just see Nicholas Meyer off screen telling Shatner "OK, do it one more time, but this time make it bigger." (and repeating that until it was over the top )
lol ...... I can almost see that myself

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #37
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead42 View Post
I liked him screaming Khan's name too - I thought it was a good show of his rage. But IMO, one line could have made the final showdwon between Khan and Kirk sooooo much better.
When Kirk says
"Khan, we tried it once your way. Are you game for a rematch?"
No response.
"Khan. I'm laughing at the 'superior intellect'."

Right there.... right in that exact spot, Kirk should have looked right at the viewscreen and said

"Khan, you're a fool." Then ended the transmission, and left Khan to chew on that.
To me, that would have really ground salt into Khan's massive, damaged ego.
that would be good

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #38
arrowhead42

I lost count.... which one was ST5?
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #39
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Kirk and company are called back from shore leave when there's a hostage situation on the "Planet of Galactic Peace" (Nimbus III) in the neutral zone. There are other ships available but no experienced commanders, so Admiral Harve Bennett (in his only cameo appearance in the 4 ST films he produced) "needs Jim Kirk." It's a very TOS-ish over-the-top type of story where Spock's long lost half brother commandeers the Enterprise (thanks mostly to her skeleton crew) and takes it to the center of the galaxy, followed closely by a Klingon Bird of Prey. Personally, I think it's a great movie.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #40
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

ST5... the magical, unknown half-brother of Spock!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #41
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
ST5... the magical, unknown half-brother of Spock!
Yeah, he is pretty magical. Especially since he is not only the only known Vulcan who can use telepathy on someone without touching them (or touching a wall they're leaning against) but also is the only one who can apparently conjure up telepathic imagery for people to see. Of course, this can all be explained late in TNG by the fact that the Vulcans don't use all of their telepathic powers because of the dangers. Sybok and his mother were outcasts (according to the book) and tapped into some of their other abilities using techniques that were "frowned upon" by other Vulcans (even though no self respecting Vulcan would frown.)
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #42
arrowhead42

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I didn't much care for it, but that's because it felt like so much more could have been done with it. It just felt.... lacking, and I could never put my finger on exactly what it was. I didn't know it was because of budget constraints that Shatner had to deal with.
He must have been really ticked off that he couldn't make the movie the way he envisioned it
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #43
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's safe to say that the Shat was pretty peeved with Paramount after that mess. They screwed him over big time and basically forced the movie to flop. Due to the writers' strike, they wanted to have something to release, ready or not, and they paid the price for that.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #44
Jedman67
Photoshop Wizard

Quote:
Shatner cheesy? I think not.
(meanwhile, "KHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN" is just plain cheesy. ) Plus, he's friggin' hilarious in Airplane II: The Sequel.
the SHAT is cheesy. but awesome-cheesy! he also has great films, i felt that STVI really captured the essence of his character, for example.
And Denny Crane, Ham-extraordinare. Of course he's cheesy - its why we love him!

Quote:
(even though no self respecting Vulcan would frown.)
more like a severe, emotionless stare. But on a vulcan, we call it frowning. Disbelief if he's raising an eyebrow

Quote:
Well for the time the sets where not cheap "(at least not the Enterprise sets )" Star Trek was always meant to be serious and began that with The Cage.

I also will say that the only TREK film I have found weakest was the newest trek film on a few levels.
The sets were brilliant, considering the budget available (or lack thereoff). But the age shows. And the primary colors were ghastley!! brilliant for its time, but still very much a part of its time.
ST 2009 wasn't cheesy, but it was a failure. The sets were amazing, the character and plot had holes you could drive a truck through. But i would watch that again and again rather than see ST:V again :P
Old April 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #45
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

All of the Star Trek films have huge plot holes. A few examples:

*Who is still transmitting images after the Klingons and Epsilon 9 are destroyed?
*Why is Enterprise always the only starship in the quadrant, especially when the quadrant is the one that contains Earth?! (basically, Earth is all but defenseless)
*Why is Khan suddenly at least 20 years older than his followers, all of whom were around his age in Space Seed?
*Why didn't Spacedock just lock a tractor beam onto Enterprise and stop Kirk and company from stealing it?
*How were aliens (presumably) from another galaxy listening to whales on Earth?
*When did Enterprise get 78 decks?
*Why did the Klingons only build the one Bird of Prey that could fire when cloaked? Was someone stupid enough to have the blueprints aboard the ship when it was launched?
*Why didn't Soran just fly into the Nexus with a ship? It worked out well for him before.
*Why did the Borg send 1 cube to Earth to assimilate it with the backup plan being an elaborate plot to go back in time and do it then? Why not just send a fleet of cubes to Earth?
*The Son'a were clearly criminals with chips on their shoulders, why did they even conspire with Starfleet before trying to mine the Baku planet's rings?
*Why didn't Picard have hair when he was at the academy?

That's just a small taste of the plot holes. Not that we care, we love the films anyway. Besides, if that's not the 1st JJ Abrams film you've seen, you know he's more about big action sequences and special effects than worrying about things like plot holes. Hell, some people can make lots of money and become living legends making films full of plot holes (Steven Spielberg, for one.)
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Kahn is the best of the Star Trek movies. I love all the series. The movies were hit and miss.

Next Generation was a great series. None of there movies were great. Would have liked to see a good one. So many of the series episodes were better than the movies.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote