Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL The Strange, Secret Evolution of Babylon 5

Dang... 20 years already!

http://io9.com/5985727/the-strange-s...n-of-babylon-5
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: The Strange, Secret Evolution of Babylon 5

Fifty years of Doctor Who, forty seven years of Star Trek, nearly forty years of Space 1999, thirty five years of Star Wars and twenty years of Babylon 5. Nobody can ever accuse of SF of not staying loyal to the film and TV shows.
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

B5 great canvas show.....
I have watched it a number of times from start to finish...

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

I wrote a big post on this, but timed out cause I'm at work and kept getting interupted. Sigh.

When B5 was on I didn't watch it much. I did like the animation and it was part of my decision to go with LightWave. At the time I loved the animation, but not the live action parts. My viewing at the time was centered more around the various Star Trek series.

Although people put down the CGI of B5 I think it was really great for its time. For the money and the limitations of Lightwave at the time it was spectacular. For the most part they don't know what the pre-open GL LightWave was like. The turn around time of a weekly TV show. Texture image constraints. Image sizes were severally limited. LightWave was just becoming available for Windows coming from Amiga. They were using LightWave 3 I think. And computers at the time. There professional computers less Processing power than your phone does now.

Resently I watch B5 from start to finish including TV movies. It was fun and entertaining. Soap opera acting and dated CG, but fun and well worth viewing.

If nothing else it inspires you to power up the computer and create.

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace..."
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Unfortunately, I started reading that article but quickly lost interest because I'm not that familiar with the series. They have the first season and part of the second on Hulu, I need to watch those sometime. Hopefully. they'll be getting more. I've only seen part of the first season on some scratched up DVDs (from the library.) I liked what I saw, though.

I agree with your assessment of the CGI, Auditor. It was definitely good for its time. Some shows were just starting to use it for some effects, they used it for all of them. Kudos for that.
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

I thought the cgi was very good and still holds up well enough,,,,, pioneering show,

It did take me a long time to get into it, but when I did and followed the show I had to watch again, I do own the DVD collection now and will watch again.

I like it more than Star Trek DS9 and Voyager.. I never watched them since first run over here.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

I have said before in the forum about my love for the Star Fury. That was star of the show for me.

http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/SA-23...ndyne_Starfury

Old February 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

For me, the CGI in Babylon 5 is a lot like the miniature work in King Kong. By today's standards, neither holds up. However, as pioneers of those kinds of effects, they're groundbreaking.
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

I'm currently watching B5, i'm in season 3. I've not actually seen the end, EVER!

I remember B5 really did get me into LW, a friend of mine had LW 3.5 (it think) on his Amiga, was around 1993. I would go up on a weekly basis and learn Lightwave with him. That was when I was 13, i carried on playing with 3D, buying LW 5.0 for my then impressively upgraded Amiga 1200.

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

I think 5.0 was my first version. I'm amazed at what they got out of Lightwave 3.0 Anyway I've already posted on that. And B5 and LW3D.

Hope your enjoying B5. I did. I recently watched the whole series and movies. It has its moments. Good and Bad.

My favorite Amiga moment has nothing to do with LW3D or B5. It was capturing the backwards message off one of the songs from Pink Floyd The Wall and reversing it to hear it.