Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > The Help Zone
Notices
The Help Zone This is where questions are asked about how certain things work in your apps.

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
bgarner

Default Vision Lab Studio

Anyone have this software? wondering if it is worth getting for my son (fifth grader) that wants to do his own effects. Anybody working with it let me know the learning curve for an above average 111 year old that already knows how to edit video. Thanks. (BTW) he does not want to dive into the more professional stuff as he had spent time with me at my studio seeing the long hours I put into projects (he's afraid he would get wrapped up in the software and lose focus on his school work)

Tanks again!
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Vision Lab Studio

Your kid is 111 years old?? (and *still* in the 5th grade) How old are you?!

Seriously, no, I've never even heard of that software.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Moved to the Help Zone.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

had a look at the site .. it looks good and offers a demo .. the price look good too considering its capabilities ..

Try the demo and see.. and let us know how it works out..

these are the Windows Requirements

* PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor
* Window Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (or later)
* Minimum of 512MB of RAM
* 100MB of available disk space
* Display minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 in 32-bit color
* Microsoft DirectX required.
* Apple QuickTime 7 recommended.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #5
bgarner

Oops (LOL) should have seen that one, efinately worked too many hours yesterday. No he's 11 years old. He found it at a cartoon site. This is where it sent him http://fxhome.com/visionlab/ Looks like he can handle it but I wanted more than just the run of the mill endorsements that the website has. Thanks, and I hope my sone lives to 111 cause I love him so much!!!
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Rook3

I own the FXlab software and it does have a semi-steep learning curve, but after you get past the initial hurdle you can do some pretty nice things with it. I used it last year to add VFX to an Aliens video (mostly weapon muzzle flashes and one explosion). I had used the demo a couple years ago and forgot most of what I learned. It took a bit go get back into it, but then I was working on a deadline.

For future reference, NEVER buy new software right before you start a new project with the intention of using said software to finish the project.

My only real suggestion would be the same as the others have already mentioned: download the free test versions and see if it's something you can use.
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Fretslayer

Hey guys, if you've seen any of my animations to date you've seen FXLab.
I used it for the rotoscoping in my Trek thing and also any of the laser effects you've seen in my animations.

I would hook the kid up with the software.

IMO the learning curve was pretty small - but I do have a lot of experience with multi-track recording in a studio. Why mention this? Because it gave me the background to understand the concept of layering and everything in the program is approached that way.

I was able to explain to my cousins (who are in the video) how this software does what it does by using a pizza as an example. Just think of it in terms of adding layers on top of layers and any kid will be able to grab the idea. :laugh:

There are some really good tutorials and a slew of extras you can get from their website that also make it a cool deal. They have some great sound effects as well as preset effects (like the Nightcrawler BAMF).

Sorry if this is a double post or something like that but I thought it was a good example.
All of the effects in this are done with FXHome Vision Lab Studio.
I used it for the lasers, sabres, explosions, and even the Monty Pyton style 'take off' scene with the ship.

If you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know.
But the short version is that if you're working on a budget and you want to teach somebody the basics of chromakey and rotoscoping you can't really go wrong with this program.

No, it's not on the same level as Adobe After Effects.
Yes, it's simple enough that a kid can use it and get reall cool effects.
I made this Star Wars thing is something like two weeks total time.