Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Default Star Trek V Shuttle - A small side project

Just a small side project from me;

The mesh is pretty much finished (aside from a few tweaks) - but I'm having some issues with the textures... but I have a plan to sort that (when I have a few mins).

C&C very welcome.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Star Trek V Shuttle - A small side project

Very nice work .. Texture is an area where I fumble at a lot .. but the modelling is solid

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #3
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Very nice work .. Texture is an area where I fumble at a lot .. but the modelling is solid
Yeah... I normally just build the stuff in, but I also wanted to make it easy to change the name/reg details on the shuttle. Texturing mapping is something I need to learn about...
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

All you need to do is set up different modeled name and regs as separate objects. Then you can change the name and reg whenever you want. I used to do that all the time before I started mostly texturing mine (except my most recent model, I went old school with modeled name and reg.) Anywho, I find that just as easy as having different texture sets with different names and regs.

The shuttle looks great. I like this model a lot. In fact, it's probably my favorite Trek shuttle. I thought it was cool when they started using the modified version on TNG. And you definitely did an excellent job modeling it.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Yeah, I've a few ideas on what i could do re the textures. At the momement they are set up as pannels that are about 3mm away from the surface of the mesh - which is what the problem is. I need to set them up so they are on the actual mesh. Still, you live and learn...

I wanted to make them easy to edit as this is a mesh that could be released to one and all, and I want to gove people the option to but what ever name and number they want on it. But yeah, for personal use I may well set the reg/name bit up as a built in bit. Mind you, I need to learn how to texture... properly that is, lol