Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Masao

Default Pics of TOS Enterprise for Starfleet Museum

I recently finished a Starfleet Museum article about the Constitution class. I was wondering if anyone has any nice renders of Connie class ships that they would allow me to post in the Museum. Post the pics or the link here, please.

They can be of Enterprise or any other Connie, but please note that I have my own non-canon registry system that doesn't exactly match Franz Joseph's or Michael Okudas. (my list can be found at the bottom of the page: http://www.starfleet-museum.org/pyotr-velikiy.htm).

Multi-ship pics or ships in drydock are always appreciated. Space stations and asteroids are good too. I'm also looking for pics of the Klingon D7 and Romulan BOP either alone, together, or with Connies.

Thanks.

Last edited by Masao; June 24th, 2003 at 07:48 PM..
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Masao

No one???

I'm not necessarily looking for new renders, just permission to repost whatever ones you've already made.

Thanks again.
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Admiral_Tigger

I have a ton, alas none of them were done by me.
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #4
Masao

I'd like to deal directly with the creators, to get their permission, rather than going through third parties.
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #5
meshula
Master Pilot

Default You're welcome to any of mine, Masao!

http://www.hash.com/users/meshula/1701/1701_3.html
They're a bit old, but I'm not able to do renders at the moment.
meshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #6
Masao

Thanks, Nick! I actually downloaded most of these several years ago but had forgetten I had done so.
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #7
Aldiwahn Teerod

maybe pm scott gammans. he has done a really nice connie. he made some really large orthographic views of her. here
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Oh yeah - Nick's are excellent!
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #9
Masao

I went through my hard disc and searched through the threads here and found quite a few nice renders. I've contacted the artists and received permission from all. Thanks a lot, you guys.

Scott's Connie is great, but I don't think he has a completion date in site yet. At this point I only need scenes, not orthos. But thanks for the link, Aldiwahn.
Old July 5th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #10
darkwing_duck1a

Might I suggest you contact Dennis about using his USS Phoenix? It's a Connie with Enterprise-style detailing. Not canon, but VERY good looking

Old July 8th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Vektor

I might have something for you, Masao. I built a model of the actual USS Constitution a couple of years ago. It was derived from Franz Joseph's Booklet of General Plans and matches those plans pretty much exactly, although I did take a number of liberties with the texturing, a subtle aztec patterning to the hull, for example.

You can find a full set of WIP images here (almost 200 images in various stages of completion). I also have a few finished or nearly finished renderings online that are not linked through my site. Here are links to those files:

WIP 25
WIP 26
WIP 88
WIP 89
WIP 90
WIP 148
WIP 159
WIP 160
WIP 161
WIP 178

I also did several finished wallpapers, which unfortunately are not online at the moment. If you're interested in seeing them, I can arrange that.

Oh, one last thing: If you're not interested in Franz Joseph's take on the Constitution class, I also have a nearly finished version of the Original Series Enterprise. You can see most of the latest WIP renderings for that project here and on the pages that follow (note that most of the image links on the earlier pages are broken due to file rearrangements). And don't pay too much attention to the "Modified" part in the thread title; the model is authentic except for a few very minor details.

If you're interested in either the Constitution or Enterprise, just let me know. I'd even be willing to do a special rendering for your purposes.
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #12
Masao

Thanks for the offer, Vektor. I've been following both your projects with great interest.

For the Museum article I am sticking to the on screen appearance of Enterprise, so the Franz Joseph version (Constitution) won't be of any use to me. On the other hand, any rendered scenes with the Enterprise model would be appreciated. Feel free to use other registries in my Museum list, which is pretty close to the FJ list for the first 25 ships (http://www.starfleet-museum.org/pyotr-velikiy.htm) but then gets a bit crazy. Dockyard scenes, multi-ship scenes, and views not seen on TV are always good, but anything is fine.

Masao
Old July 25th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #13
Godfrey

Old renders, but would these do?

If so, I can rerender to get the URLs off the images (which are invalid anyway), and get the windows on the upper three decks, which for some reason I had commented out when I rendered these:

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/raytra...cs/new1701.jpg
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/raytra...cs/leavek7.jpg

Edit:

Just rendered these this afternoon. They're pretty big (1600x1200).

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/raytra...701-bottom.jpg
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/raytra...cc1701-top.jpg

Last edited by Godfrey; July 25th, 2003 at 03:09 PM..
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:53 PM   #14
Masao

Thanks, Godfrey.

While these are nice, for the Museum I have to insist on strict adherence to the onscreen appearance of Enterprise rather than the slight liberties you've taken with the nacelles and other details.
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:09 PM   #15
Godfrey

Which liberties are those? If there's an inaccuracy (other than the very subtle aztec texture), please point it out so I can correct it; I've done my best to be as accurate to the filming model as I can.
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:34 PM   #16
Masao

Well, at the risk of being overly detail obsessed, here are some of the problems:
1. The end caps of the nacelle are hollow and the balls are too large
2. The depressed machinery area on the inboard surface of the nacelle has an incorrect grill and is lacking raised bars above and below the grill
3. The bar on the forward part of the machinery area has an incorrect plate at its front end and has some additional vertical pillars at its ends.
4. The bars at the ends of the nacelle (and on the inboard nacelle) are too rounded in cross section and have incorrect longitudinal bars instead of a waffle pattern. The bars should have that small extension only in front and not in back. The extension is also too rounded.
5. The plates attaching the bussards to the nacelle front are rounded rather than being flat and rectangular. The three plates at the bottom front of the nacelles should be curved rather than flat.
6. The rectangles on the nacelle supports are raised and have an incorrect pattern.
7. The corrugated plates on the sides near the back of the nacelle has too few ridges. Same with the hoods at the ends.
8. The bridge humps should be more rounded.
9. I think that the top of the primary hull is too flat at the edge (not quite sure about this one. It might just be the lighting, but the registry should be entirely on the slope). This means that elevation should start nearer the edge.
10. The detailing on that horizontal piece at the top rear of the primary hull looks a bit simpliflied. The red stripe to the bridge is missing. The L-shaped markings should be grey outlines only with no fill. The smaller rectangles should be yellow. The impulse thruster also looks a bit simplified.
11. The markings on the bottom of the secondary hull and under the fantail extend back to far.
12. The base of the sensor on the ventral primary hull is too rounded.
13. There should be a raised red light near the rear top of the secondary hull (where you have three white lights) and a raised white light at the sides is missing (near 1837).
14. Numerous hull warning signs missing.
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:17 PM   #17
Godfrey

No such thing as "too detail obsessed". Do you happen to know of any URLs containing good reference pictures for these points?

(Although if you did, I suppose you'd be using those for your article, and not looking for CG artists' work...)
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:45 PM   #18
Masao

Everything in my museum article is fan-produced, so I don't use actual photographs of the models or screen caps from episodes (copyright concerns, you know). Lots of good sites with detail photos are available:
http://www.mjtsc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...erpriseTop.htm
http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/enterprise.html
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorense.../index.html#c2
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:27 AM   #19
Godfrey

Well, except for the copyright on Viacom's intellectual property, of course, which all of us Trek modelers are technically violating anyway. :-)

Thanks for the URLs; three of them were new to me.
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:43 PM   #20
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Phuck Viaccom - they're nothing but a bunch of greedy *******s who are completely unworthy of even being associated with Star Trek.
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:24 PM   #21
valiant_warrior

Yeah !, What He Said ! :P lol

Valiant.