Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old August 11th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Ryoken3D

Default CPU RIP.. I Hope Not..

Ok.. So here's the problem..

2 Days ago, I got an illegal Opperation in Win2k Sp3 for svchost.exe .. After that I couldn't open Windows Media Player, Disconnect from the net, view the Program Files folder cut/copy/paste text or files.. etc.. So I rebooted.. And for a time, it was good.. But then it happened again.. So I rebooted again.. Then the things just stoped working without the illegal opperations.. It works fine when I bootup, but shortly there after.. it all goes bad..

No new Hardware.. or Software..

So after having enough of this.. I formated.. Re-installed 2k ..
Still the same problem.. with no software other than the stuff that I have installed for my soundcard/vidcard and IE every time I have installed 2k..

Though I didn't spend enough time in Win98SE to see if the problem was there, I still have to conclude that this is a hardware problem..

Now I am in Nova Scotia, we have had high temps, and High 90's of Humidity.. My computer war fairly dusty.. though not near as bad as it has been other times..
BUT..
One of the 2 fans on my CPU HeatSink is dead.. and stiff, hard to move even with a finger..
This is a bad sign.. yes ?

So any ideas what's wrong.. RAM.. MB.. CPU.. All of the above ?

As much as I want a new computer, I haven't the cash to get a new one as of yet..

Ryoken
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Ryoken3D

Update:

I just took the 2fans off my CPU Heatsink, and the dead one was HOT.. Really Hot.. I'm no expert, but I have to assume that a Hot fan on the CPU heatsink isn't good..

With luck, it was the only problem.. and no dammage was doen to the C... Bugger..Just as I typed that I got the program error svchost.exe

Grr..

Ryoken
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3
Sess

uhmmm I don't want to scare you but that sounds a lot like what we had with my comp just before my harddrive went BOOM...

I'm NO WAY any good at knowing what's wrong with computers but
maybe do a cluster scan or something to make sure it's not using bad clusters?
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #4
Ryoken3D

Scandisk was fine.. and the HD isn't even a year old.. And it better not go boom.. otherwise all my stuff will.. because I am too lazy to backup..

Ryoken
Old August 14th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #5
Ryoken3D

Default Update..

Techies said it was either the CPU that was fried.. or the Modem ( all the problems started after I started surfing the net.. ) .. Though after testing, I didn't think it was the modem, for $20 for a new PCI Winmodem, it was worth testing..

It wasn't the modem.. and the new one connects at the slower speed..
*goes back to his Internal ISA Hardware modem*

So.. New CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Case(/Powersuply) it is..

Ryoken
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #6
Commodore-SirJohn
Larger than the
average starship
captain

Yup. Your CPU has self-destructed due to heat.

Personally, my video card is headed in that direction... And I can't afford a GeForce to replace this POS Rage 128...
Commodore-SirJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #7
Thor
Goa'uld System Lord

Doesn't sound like a hardware fault at all.
Sounds like the MSBlast/Blaster virus to me.

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14494

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ster.worm.html

My sister had it and the same thing happened to her.
SVCHost crashed, couldn't disconnect, copy and paste, etc...
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #8
Ryoken3D

I don't see how it can be the virus.. I formated and installed only programs from CD.. But I'll reboot into 2k and test..

Ryoken
Old August 15th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #9
Ryoken3D

I ran their little program.. Nada.. Though the similarties are scary.. But this one appears to be Hardware..

Ryoken
Old August 16th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #10
Thor
Goa'uld System Lord

Yeah I agree, formatting would tend to get rid of any kind of software problem you were having...

Still, I'd run the Microsoft patch in any case.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 03:36 AM   #11
Sess

if it's only because the virus can get back as soon as you go online again if it isn't patched.

alternatively, you could use 98... (Hey, I like it! then again I like MS Paint... and I liked 95... well yeah. you may now point and laugh)
Old August 16th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #12
Chris B
The Artist Formerly Known as XmESs
Quote me!

i had the virus (actually not a virus, but a worm) and so did a friend of mine: the symptoms were different.

i'd not be surprised if it was the hardware - cooking your cpu is a no-no

if you have the possibility to, then test your hardware components on another computer.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #13
Ryoken3D

I've done some hardware tests on my system.. Clocking the CPU and such.. They were not promising.. Apparently it wasn't just me thinking the system was slowing down.. heh

At the moment I am in 98se, the problems arn't as noticeable here ( 98 is more forgiving of hardware issues than 2k ) ... and trying to get my parents to let me spend my money on the upgrades..

Oh, and 95b rocked

Ryoken
Old August 17th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #14
Vertigo1

This is exactly why everyone should be running a firewall with the netbios ports blocked off. (135 - 139)

You squash this worm by doing the following:

Open task manager and kill the msblast.exe process. Goto your %systemroot%\system32 (if you don't already know, %systemroot% is your Windows dir) directory and delete the MSBLAST folder. Then install a firewall and block off ports 135 - 139.

www.kerio.com (formerly Tiny Personal Firewall)
Old August 17th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #15
Ryoken3D

I have my Norton Personal Firewall, and virus scan..

I wish it were the worm.. but it isn't

Ryoken
Old August 18th, 2003, 01:58 AM   #16
Sess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryoken3D

Oh, and 95b rocked

Ryoken

YAy! let's start a We-love-Win95-and-celebrate-it

:raises a glass:

the three months or so that I had 95 on my computer were the only ones that explorer didn't crash... and winamp worked...

plus, it for some reason made my music play without the soundcard being installed? which I thought weird...
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #17
Proximo

You probably had either onboard sound on your mobo or it was using generic drivers.

95 was nifty, albeit a little feature-free compared to 98...
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #18
Ryoken3D

More Features = More Problems...

I ran Win95, 95a, b, c, 98, 98se, and 2k .. Of them 2k is the best, with 95b in a close second.. With 98se bring up the rear.. the rest did not place

Ryoken
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #19
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

You're still boycotting Windows XP, I see...

Myself, I've never had to rebuild my system since installing XP. And, aside from driver upgrade issues with my ATI video card (which I've since replaced with a shiny new Nvidia card) I've never really had any problems at all.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #20
Proximo

Meh, XP. Linux is the way to go baby.
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #21
Ryoken3D

XP is Evil.. And Expensive.. But EVIL !

Linux is complex.. and if I upgrade to the new mobo/cpu, I'll have no modem for Linux.. My current ISA modem is a hardware modem, and has worked in Linux.. My new ones will have to be crappy PCI WinModems .. Cause Externals are non-existant around here for some reason.. Unless you count USB..

Currently I have 2 ISA and 1 PCI modem's .. The new 56k PCI connects at 24.0, my dads 33.6 also connets at 24.0, but my ISA.. My good ol ISA connects at 26.4 .. ( And yes.. that does make a difference when you have such slow connections.. ) .. So in the end it's all bad..

Ryoken
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #22
Proximo

I remember squeezing every last drop of speed out of my old 56k external modem. Some days, when the weather was right, it actually connected at 55.2...
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #23
Ryoken3D

I can get a 28.8k once every 3 months .. sometimes..

I used to, on our old 33.6k, connect at 31.2k once in a while till we had to change ISP's ..

Ryoken
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #24
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

XP - and no problems for a year
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #25
Sess

hm

chris has XP and it's evil.

it forbids all the illegal stufff which sucks

(certainly as my knowledge isn't good enough to get around that)

and it's SLOW!

it's even slower than 2k!!!

bah!

I hate how slow 2k is

at least when you press shut down in 95 it's off within 5 seconds you don't have to wait 10 minutes.

and it's quicker starting up too.

plus it takes less space on disk.

which is why I want it on my laptop whenever I start using that one.

quick start up and shut down are great for going online for 15 minutes in the morning before school.

of course my wishes for a OS are quite simple:

Sims and SimCity had to run which it did (nowadays not even that would be required)

internet access (means firewall, messenger, ICQ, IExplorer and virus scan should work)

Paint Shop Pro and scanning programs should run.

should allow for burning disks

I don't have to run 3d studio max on it which makes a world of difference I suppose.
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #26
Ryoken3D

2K is also slower for connecting / Disconnecting from the net via Dialup.. That's my one big beef with 2k.. Because I have to sometimes take a few tries to get a good connection, I would like 2k to Disconnect right when I tell it too, not wait for ICM ( Internet Call Manager, it's an online voicemail box so we know who calls when we are online ) and MSN Messenger to sign on to their respective networks..

Also I'd like to be able to play MechWarrior II, and Scorched Earth in it :/

Other than that, I like 2K.. the hardware senesitivity is all right with me, given it's stabilitly when the hardware is working..

Though I would also like the old Windows9x "This Program Has Performed An Illegal Opperation " with details .. I like to get a clue as to why / what caused the program to crash.. .. I miss my McAfee Bomb Shelter from Windows 95.. Was able to recover most of my Illegal Opperations..

Ryoken
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #27
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

Quote:
Originally posted by Sess
hm chris has XP and it's evil.
it forbids all the illegal stufff which sucks
rubbish!

Quote:
(certainly as my knowledge isn't good enough to get around that)
aha!

Quote:
and it's SLOW!
er nope

Quote:
it's even slower than 2k!!!
er nope..

Quote:
at least when you press shut down in 95 it's off within 5 seconds you don't have to wait 10 minutes.
the most i've ever waited is 15 seconds

Quote:
and it's quicker starting up too.
XP has never taken longer than 30 secs to boot from off for me..

Quote:
plus it takes less space on disk.
true..

Quote:
of course my wishes for a OS are quite simple:

Sims and SimCity had to run which it did (nowadays not even that would be required)
it will..

Quote:
internet access (means firewall, messenger, ICQ, IExplorer and virus scan should work)
they do...

Quote:
Paint Shop Pro and scanning programs should run.
they do..

Quote:
should allow for burning disks
XP has cd burning BUILT-IN..
THE ULTIMATE NURNIE COLLECTION Vol 1
WEATHERED TEXTURING
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #28
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryoken3D
Though I would also like the old Windows9x "This Program Has Performed An Illegal Opperation " with details .. I like to get a clue as to why / what caused the program to crash.. .. I miss my McAfee Bomb Shelter from Windows 95.. Was able to recover most of my Illegal Opperations..
Ryoken [/B]
XP can be made to run in 2K mode if desired.

It also will stop program crashing from taking the whole system down with - allowing you to carry on working - it merely stops the errant software - I have only ever had XP blue screen on me once in 16 months... and that was a hardware fault
THE ULTIMATE NURNIE COLLECTION Vol 1
WEATHERED TEXTURING
Old August 25th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #29
Ryoken3D

Ahh you see McAfee Bomb Shelter would allow me to not have the program crash in the first place.. I'd get an Illegal Op, hit recover, and go back about my work.. ( or if I was smart, save my work, then close and reopen the program ) .. Espically usefull when doing work in trueSpace 4, with multi-million polly models

I've never had a 2k Blue Screen .. And it's been well over a year since I even had a 98se Blue Screen.. I did get a black screen ( With text ) when booting up 2K for a while, but that was the fault of a fried stick of Ram...

On this computer I've had 2K run for more than a month without restarting ( Normally when I did restart it was from a powerflick, or to get into 98se ) .. And on my old computer I used to run Windows95B for weeks without a reboot.. Problem free I might add..

And say what you will, XP is evil.. It looks Evil, it Acts Evil, and it's Microsoft, so case closed :p

Ryoken
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:14 AM   #30
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

LOL - blinkered thinking - hehe