Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old January 6th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #1
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Default Staffing Changes for 2004!

Now that the new year has begun, I want to roll out my plan for improving the general standing of 3DG in the CGI community.

The way I see it, there are four things that we need to do to be competitive:

1. Attract new members to the site by generating more activity on the forums and the homepage.

2. Get corporate sponsors for major modelling contests - at least 4 major contests over the next year. (That's one every 3 months - shouldn't be too difficult.)

3. Streamline the Artist of the Month contests - make them mean something. For a long time now, the AoM contest has been more of a habit than an event. That needs to change - if done right, the AoM could be a great tool in drawing people to the site.

4. Keep the Gallery and Download Center filled with fresh content! The last time a mesh was added to the Download Center was February 2003. I know there's at least a dozen great models that have been started and finished since then, right here on the 3DG forums, that could be added to the database.

Now, it's easy for me to say all this - doing it all is another matter. I can't handle this task alone. So I'm going to need some people to step up and help - it might require some time and effort, but if we do this right, there's no telling what sort of rewards could come out of it.

Let me say this right now - I'm a writer, not a 3D artist. But I am a good manager of people, and I'm committed to making this place the best it can be. My main duties under this plan will be running the website and forums - that includes maintaining the Galleries, the homepage, and the Download Center.

At the moment, there are three other positions I need to fill:

1. Industry Contact (2 members, at least)- This person will be responsible for keeping in touch with the major CGI software companies, gathering news and attempting to hammer out special offers for 3DG members. The Industry Contact will also help me negotiate prize sponsorships for our Quarterly Contests. Someone who has moderate knowledge of most of the major modelling software would be ideal for this post - if you're somewhat familiar with Max, Lightwave, and/or Truespace, I want to talk to you!

2. Content Manager (2 members, at least) - The Content Managers will be responsible for gathering images and meshes for placement in the Galleries and Download Center. This is best done by contacting artists whose work you are impressed by, and offering them a place for that work here at 3DG. Most artists are too busy creating more art to worry about where they show it off - we can provide them with a great place to get some exposure. I will go through the current mesh offerings we have and find a good template for a Terms of Use form that we can include in each mesh we host, and I will make sure that the artists have total control over thier work while we host it.

3. 3DG Spokesperson (several members) - These members will be responsible for spreading the word about 3DGladiators to any and all appropriate places, such as other art sites, SFX and art-related companies, etc. They will also be encouraging members of other sites to post links to their sites here at 3DG. (The links section of the homepage is next on my list.) Now, this does not mean that I want 3DG members filling other forums with shameless plugs for 3DG - I just want us to become more involved with other sites. We've become rather "xenophobic" here, when we should be inviting people to join in.

Keep in mind that just because I've set up these specific jobs, it doesn't mean that you'll be on your own. I intend to get my hands dirty in every way possible, and I'll be at your side when you need me - I may even learn a thing or two while I'm at it. After all, I don't expect anyone to do anything that I'm not willing to do myself.

If you're interesting in one of these positions, please contact me via PM or e-mail ( generalphoenix@generalphoenix.com) or try to catch me on ICQ - # 84333573. I'll have ICQ open as long as I have the computer on, so that would be a great way to reach me. I can use all the help I can get, and I may have several people in each position.

I look forward to hearing from you guys, and working together to make 3DGladiators the kick-ass site I know it can be!
Old January 6th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #2
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I would offer, but since I only come to 3DG, I'll be no good at spreading the word since most of my friends on the internet are you guys (no point there) and a small band of RPGers.

Again, with the other stuff, not much of a 3D Artist myself, except for the brilliant pyramid I did (well, it wasn't hard, was it?).

However, 2004 is a huge thing for me, because I'm hoping (though probably not being able to) set up my own DVD shop. If I ever do, I'll be happy to sponsor some events with DVDs of Animations, such as Shrek, Pixar Stuff, etc.
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Alex

Well aside from my PM to you, Rick, I have one question about the staffing:

Who are the moderators? I can't see a thing o_o
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #4
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Proximo and Moovok have Moderator status over all the forums. Having fewer Mods with broader power makes things much easier for me - I actually had over thirty moderators assigned when I took over from Darrell. Far too many cooks in the kitchen...
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote