Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #271
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

@evil_genius: I hate to admit this, but I'd been trying to find a way to work in that particular cue (for those who aren't that familiar with the ID4 OST, the piece is "International Code") practically since the beginning of the project. It's a terrific and upbeat piece of music that's absolutely perfect for a sequence like this. I couldn't be happier with how it came out!
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #272
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's great music. I recognized it instantly, ID4 is an awesome movie, IMO.
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #273
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

New long clip is going up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5t-6guM_oY

ETA is still about two hours from now (2043 EST), but just thought I'd say something now while it was on my mind!
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #274
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next piece is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZMcZn_XBDU

This one's really short but has some important details nevertheless.

By the way, guys, I'm more or less giving up on the sister thread at Scifi-Meshes.com--it seems like some folks over there just don't know when to quit, so I'm transferring the title of "Official Project Thread" from that one to this one. We may have fewer people following this thread, but I'm not constantly reading poor attempts at humor and poorer metaphors (one user continuously referred to Prentice as "the joker," which I didn't like because of the obvious negative connotation, even once it was explained that what was meant was "the ace up the sleeve"--another, meanwhile, was constantly throwing out their own "interpretations" of things, even once I'd given my official one, and admitted at one point they were nitpicking about things knowing full well there was nothing I could do).

What kind of brought me to my breaking point was when I mentioned building "the TNG cargo bay set" (in those exact words), but another user went off on a tangent about building the "shuttlebay 1" (main shuttlebay) as briefly seen in "Cause and Effect." No connection to the topic at hand whatsoever. Then the guy who brought us "the joker" (a reference which I originally missed and who I politely asked to avoid using such metaphors in the future), did it again when discussing the reactions of the engineering crew to Garr's unexpected appearance. (And lest I forget, this same user also proposed that Holo Garr should be smiling and making jokes, what I termed a "silly idea" and not the first from this user--Holo Garr makes one snide remark at Prentice's expense, but what we got is far from jocularity.)

Honest feedback and criticism of my hard work, I can handle. Pains in the you-know-what I can live without.

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 9th, 2011 at 04:15 AM..
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #275
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Nice work. It may be short but short scenes like this are very important.

Last edited by evil_genius_180; August 9th, 2011 at 05:47 PM..
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #276
gmd3d
Admin

@ tnpir4001. I can understand your frustration at useless comments from really unhelpful members given the amount of work your doing.
last thing to need is to be getting caught up in useless banter and arguments when what your looking for is genuine feedback.

But I am sorry to see you giving up on Scifi-Meshes.com and you have more feed back options there than here. (I am sorry to say) we just
have a smaller member group that participate in the forum.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #277
gmd3d
Admin

OK.

This I am only going to say once.

what happens on other sites has no place here.

Scifi-Meshes staff will attend to the issues with members there.

The post you made Mr-Timelord regarding the issue there should have stayed there.
and you should have not brought it here.

You are welcome to stay here, but if your only joining here to carry on an argument from another forum is not welcome.

any further problems place PM me and I will get to it asap.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #278
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Gonna try and steer things back on track by announcing a new full-length cut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADG1c-z5T4

A lot of minor fixes earlier in the production here (some of them maybe so minor that I'm the only one who'd notice). Still trying to flesh out the next scene, in principle I already know what it's going to be (as I think we all do based on the way Scene 40A ends), but the dialogue is particularly tricky.
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #279
gmd3d
Admin

it looks and flows very well.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #280
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next piece is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXzMMpGH2g

Anyone who's been wondering what Retribution is really about, this scene is for you. Even though it's another short one, I think this is a very powerful and moving scene, especially to anyone who saw Specter and knows the history between these two characters.

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 14th, 2011 at 07:26 AM..
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #281
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'll have to watch that when I get home. I'm at someone else's house using their cable internet (it's low-end cable internet, slower than my DSL) and it's just not wanting to play.
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #282
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@evil_genius: keep us posted!

Next scene was originally planned to be short and sweet, the Fitzgerald arrives at the Neutral Zone and begins its incursion. But I decided to amp things up a bit by expanding it:

Spoiler
They arrive to find the Neutral Zone seemingly unguarded on the Romulan side, no sign of ships or cloaking emissions, nothing. Naturally they're confused, until Holo Garr--working on the bridge--spots a particular kind of particle drift, and realizes the entire area has been mined. Turns out, when Drakus pulled his ships out of the area, he left behind a cloaked minefield similar to the one from "Minefield" (ENT). I decided to give us a glimpse of the Fitzgerald "threading the needle," so to speak, but since this is something Reyf didn't know about there's no magical course to follow. I'm really looking forward to making the effects for this scene. (In case anyone wonders, the Romulan mines will be played by a recolored version of Andrew Crook's Jedi training remote.)
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #283
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It was an OK scene. It added a nice human tough to the movie, especially to Ronston, who comes off a bit cold at times. However, I can't really say it blew me away.

The next scene, however, sounds cool.
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #284
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@evil_genius: guess I got too caught up with it when I was making it. I did want to humanize Ronston though (I was kind of hinting at this with the Hargrove storyline), so if I managed to do that then I'm happy.

Scene 42 starts tonight so we'll see what happens!
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #285
Commodore Ismay
Shuttle Pilot

I have tyed to see the Videos on Youtube but they are all deletet whats happend?
Commodore Ismay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #286
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@Ismay: Retribution is a work in progress, and as I've been working on it, clips have gone up and come down as new developments have been made. The most up to date clips are the ones referenced most recently in the thread.

(Don't feel bad, a lot of folks have been thrown by the sudden appearance and disappearance of clips over the course of this project, I usually encourage people to keep an eye on The Wiki for updates)

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 15th, 2011 at 09:19 AM..
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #287
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, he got me with that once also. I went to look at a couple clips I'd missed and they were gone.
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #288
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

First half of the next scene is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf51GyjUvc

I've made some changes already since this version, so that the music works better and doesn't just dip out (the reason is that the cue, "V'Ger Flyover," doesn't line up precisely enough with the scene as originally envisioned, so the choice was either chop something from the scene or loop the cue--as you can see the cutaways between Prentice and Ronston don't really add anything, and once I watched the clip through it was a no-brainer).
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #289
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

The full scene is uploading right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IilGqnV2Q

I'm very pleased with how this one turned out, there were some pretty significant challenges to overcome. Enjoy!
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #290
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

The question to be asked is this: next scene is "Holodeck Revisited," in which Prentice visits the same holoprogram that helped Reyf crack the case in Specter. The question is, I've got two versions of it written, one with Ronston and another one with Holo Garr. Which one would you rather see? (Or another character entirely, maybe Mitchell?)
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM   #291
gmd3d
Admin

That was some nice tense storytelling .....

I have nothing more to add for the scene except to say I liked the small audio cues when shifting power around..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #292
Bryguy
Shuttle Pilot

I loved the scene, the Booby Trap music works perfectly. It's also one of my favorite music pieces from all of TNG.

I would like to see Holo Garr in the holodeck scene. I haven't read any of the spoilers you posted (either here, or at the other site), but if the purpose of the scene is to get into Drakus's (sp?) head, then who better to have with you than Holo Garr?
Bryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM   #293
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@Bryguy: you and I are in complete agreement about the music cue. I'll tell you a secret, I broke a cardinal rule of moviemaking for the sake of that cue--usually you have your scene first, then add score to it later...but for this scene I did the opposite. Originally this was a lot shorter, but then I had the idea to work the cue in, the scene was purposely expanded for the sole purpose of working it in. It all worked out for the better though, what we have now is a lot better than what we would've had.

As for the holodeck scene, that's the thing...I had always kind of wanted Prentice to be trying to get into Drakus' head, but I was also thinking it might be nice to get some hints about his backstory too. Getting into Drakus' head is definitely Holo Garr's territory, but his backstory seems more fitting for Ronston.

Then again we already have hints from several points that hint at previous involvement between them, and thanks to the conversation between her and Merv, we have a pretty good idea of at least part of his backstory. We've seen Prentice/Ronston tidbits a fair amount already...I guess Holo Garr would be the logical choice.

(On the subject of TNG music, anyone who hasn't heard should get the STTNG Vol 1 release from La La Land records...it includes another favorite of mine, the "Denouement/Challenge" music from TNG's second-season episode "Elementary, Dear Data")
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM   #294
Bryguy
Shuttle Pilot

You mentioned that you have two versions of the scene written, one with Ronston, and the other with Holo Garr, could you combine them? Have one scene with Prentice, Ronston, and Holo Garr where "all is revealed" for lack of a better way of putting it.
Bryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:12 AM   #295
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@Bryguy: I actually thought about that, too, but it seemed like that approach made the scene feel too "crowded," for lack of a better word. I haven't given up on that yet, but it'll be tricky to pull off so we'll see. I'm still tinkering with it for right now, so we'll see what happens.

(By the way, new long clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpsy2LDfNqM)

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 22nd, 2011 at 04:19 AM..
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #296
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Damn. I missed the last scene again.

One of these days, I really need to take the time to watch the long clip.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #297
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@evil_genius: these things come and go at transwarp speeds whenever I post a long clip, it always ends with the most recent scene that was posted, so you could always skip to the end of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LDfNqM#t=7696s

Advanced it for you to the point where Scene 42 starts
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #298
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@Bryguy: tinkered a little more with Scene 43 today but I just can't pull off a scene that uses both Garr and Ronston. Going to go with your first suggestion and stick with the Garr version. It still needs polish so gonna focus on that tonight and tomorrow.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #299
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
@evil_genius: these things come and go at transwarp speeds whenever I post a long clip, it always ends with the most recent scene that was posted, so you could always skip to the end of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LDfNqM#t=7696s

Advanced it for you to the point where Scene 42 starts
That's an idea, but I really need to watch it from the start again. I remember how it started and most of what has happened, but it will be good to see it all again (and see stuff I forgot.) I might do that tonight.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #300
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Sorry for the big delay between scenes, this one was a nightmare to make, but I think the end product came out really nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOc8jo3bic8