Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #211
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

Here's a revised version that feels like it gets closer to what it should be. Still a little long, I think, but maybe it works. Give it a onceover and see what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Star Trek Retribution - 031, Too Easy VII.doc (32.5 KB, 2 views)
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:45 AM   #212
gmd3d
Admin

Finally got the chance to view it .. some nice twists and turns ....

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM   #213
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'll have to find an hour and a half to watch it later and see how it's going so far. I was just going to be lazy and watch the newest scene, but the vid is gone (I guess I waited too long. ) Oh well, it will be good to see the progress to date all together anyway. I should be able to find some time for that tonight.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM   #214
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@evil_genius: gotta be quick with me A lot of times what happens is I'll post an individual scene, but then make a change or add a transition shot when it goes in with the rest of the movie, and when that happens usually everything comes down and a new long clip goes up. This was one of those cases
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #215
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next one's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5IAeYAqAR8
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #216
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Work on Scene 32 started today--the visuals are going fine, but I seem to be stuck on the question of BGM. With that in mind, I've put together a few music tests comprising the first part of the scene (all that I have completed as of the moment). These are some of the most fitting pieces of music I have in my collection, but if after seeing this anyone else has a better idea I'm listening.

The selections I've chosen to test are:
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "24 Main Title"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "Blue (Da Ba Dee) Karaoke Mix"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "Blue Da Ba Dee (Radio Edit)"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "Cosmic Castaway"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "Hey Sandy"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "Turn, Turn, Turn"
Star Trek Retribution - Scene 32 Music Test: "The Leveller"
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #217
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Alright, final decision's been made, we're going with "Blue (Da Ba Dee)." The scene is done now, see it in its entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7c1omn8rMU

I'm especially proud of the shots of the Romulan fleet, those shots are by far on a grander scale than anything I've ever attempted before. So much so that I actually had to do the ships in three "rows," if you will, which are superimposed over each other to get the combined effect in that first shot: 1st row is the warbirds and the Kerchans; 2nd row is more of same, but in a different configuration; and 3rd row is what I call the "cameo" row, with everything from 2003 Cylon Base Stars to Nebulon-B frigates to Goa'uld Ha'Taks.

(Even though it's barely visible, this row is my favorite!)
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #218
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

New version of Scene 32 is up, this one is 32B with "Suicide Mission" (from Mass Effect 2) as the BGM, along with some updated visuals of the Romulan fleet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSCR1w19S8E
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #219
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next piece is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhSu8X4R0I4

I'm particularly proud of how this one came out.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #220
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Really nicely done. I like the way this is coming together. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out and what's in the mysterious cargo hold.

BTW, I love the gold plated NSEA Protector model in Ronston's cabin.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #221
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Alright guys, I could use some feedback on the next scene, it's the long-awaited showdown between Reyf and Prentice. Reyf finally breaks down and agrees to tell Prentice everything.

The folks over at SFM have helped whittle it down to something pretty close to a final form...but I'm not sure it's a 100% draft yet. I'm presently waiting on some more feedback from their side of the house, but I figured I'd post the writeup here as well. Let me know what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Star Trek Retribution - 034, The Challenge III.doc (28.5 KB, 2 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #222
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Damn, I was about to read that but I'm running Windows right now and don't have any software installed that can handle .doc files. I'd reboot into Linux and read it but I'm rendering an animation right now.

I swear, though, that as soon as I'm done rendering I'll reboot and take a look at it. (I could install something that could handle .doc files but there's an outside chance that doing so might mess up my render and it's been going since last night.)
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #223
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Try Wordpad! Standard feature in all Windows installations
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #224
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

New draft! I like this one enough to actually produce it, but I've got a set to build before I can so there's still time.

Give this one a onceover and see what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Star Trek Retribution - 034, The Challenge V.doc (33.0 KB, 5 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #225
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
Try Wordpad! Standard feature in all Windows installations
That was what I tried. (see attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP.jpg (73.2 KB, 6 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #226
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Wow...that's really odd. I tried it and it came right up. Ah, well. I guess I can wait till you reboot then

In the meantime, some new music tests for Scene 32C just went up, with more on the way. I still haven't settled on a final music track (I'm leaning heavily towards re-using "Cosmic Castaway" but there's one in this latest batch that I really like, I just don't think "Suicide Mission" from Mass Effect 2 has the power that I'm looking for in this scene).

1. Black Blade
2. Kronos (no relation to the Klingon homeworld)
3. Kronos (Alt Mix)
4. Master of Shadows
5. What's Happening to Me

Last edited by tnpir4001; July 9th, 2011 at 08:12 PM..
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #227
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I don't know what's up with WordPad in Windows 7. I've opened .doc files in previous versions. I really don't care for Windows 7 but I gave my mom my only copy of XP, so I had to "upgrade" in order to keep using my 3D software and games that I have for Windows. I'll install LibreOffice on there later so that I can bring up .doc files in Windows (none of the included apps in Windows 7 are any good, IMO.)

Anywho, I read the latest version (I'm in Linux Mint now) and it's looking pretty good. My only nitpick is that it ends. The suspense is killing me.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #228
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Alright folks, the long-awaited Scene 34 is now up! Really looking forward to reviews of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXAxQhmqkc
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #229
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quick, where the next scene?!

Seriously, great stuff. The dialog is not only good but the music does a great job of setting the tone for the scene. I'm really anxious to find out what the big secrets are, so I'm looking forward to the next scene.
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #230
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

@evil_genius: I'm glad to hear it but Reyf isn't going to tell all for two more scenes yet...Scene 35 is a scene in the Jefferies tubes between Mitchell and Hargrove, followed by a scene in sickbay with Ronston and Falwell. Then they all get summoned to the observation lounge...and then we learn everything.

Coming soon, promise
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #231
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

You're killing me here.

Seriously, you're doing a bang-up job on this project. You've definitely kept my interest throughout the whole project, just like the first film did. I've watched fan films where I've gotten so bored that I've stopped watching them, I never do that with yours.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #232
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Alright folks, Scene 35 is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjGV-44pjM

Those eager for Reyf to tell us everything will be disappointed that this isn't it, but those who have been waiting for this film's "human factor" to show itself will be thrilled.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #233
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's a good scene, it shows character progression. It doesn't do much for the overall plot but sometimes scenes like this are cut from movies just for that reason or for time and they shouldn't be. Character progression is important, it helps us to better identify with the characters.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #234
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

I was thinking about Star Trek Nemesis when I wrote this scene, they said that a lot of the character moments like this got axed from the movie, and it's rumored that they were among the best pieces shot. People had also commented that part of what made Specter as good as it was were the small scenes like this one that developed the characters more, so I figured why not throw it in.
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #235
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

And actually, it does do something for the plot

Spoiler
Our heroes have mostly been focusing on the tactical aspects of how to defeat Garr, but there hasn't been much focus on the emotional angles. Then when he popped in on Prentice, suddenly our captain (and we) realized he was dealing with a human psyche after all--however damaged it might be.

First was Garr's own declarations, which bemoan his lost life and his rage at being abandoned by everything he ever loved. Then there's the discussion shortly after that about how the Federation would help anyone they could if it was within their power. And now we have a discussion about how love really and truly is something worth fighting for.

After the events of Specter, it sounds to me like we have the ingredients of a "how to stop the mad doctor" plan in hand.
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #236
gmd3d
Admin

stunning work on this ...... a tour de force for this project ...

I think that's the first time I have every said that ^ about any project I seen on any sites I spend time on......

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #237
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking about Star Trek Nemesis when I wrote this scene, they said that a lot of the character moments like this got axed from the movie, and it's rumored that they were among the best pieces shot. People had also commented that part of what made Specter as good as it was were the small scenes like this one that developed the characters more, so I figured why not throw it in.
They do that in a lot of movies, they sacrifice character development for action and special effects. It's sad, really. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they release a "director's cut" or "extended edition" where they put that stuff back in. Even movies that were huge successes like Avatar are that way. I have the extended version of Avatar and so many of the things that they put back in are character development scenes, they were most likely cut so that the movie wouldn't be too long (even though it was still pretty long) and so that less of the fighting scenes had to be cut.

Quote:
And actually, it does do something for the plot

Spoiler
Our heroes have mostly been focusing on the tactical aspects of how to defeat Garr, but there hasn't been much focus on the emotional angles. Then when he popped in on Prentice, suddenly our captain (and we) realized he was dealing with a human psyche after all--however damaged it might be.

First was Garr's own declarations, which bemoan his lost life and his rage at being abandoned by everything he ever loved. Then there's the discussion shortly after that about how the Federation would help anyone they could if it was within their power. And now we have a discussion about how love really and truly is something worth fighting for.

After the events of Specter, it sounds to me like we have the ingredients of a "how to stop the mad doctor" plan in hand.
Hm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #238
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

New long clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIw2GLhiLic
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #239
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Alright guys, need some help. Scene after next is Reyf telling us everything, but no matter how carefully I trim and rewrite, it seems like something important gets cut. I'm going to post the writeup while I work on Scene 36, I want you guys to help me figure out ways to shorten this. At five pages and change, it feels way too long!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Star Trek Retribution - 037, Reyf Tells All II.doc (37.5 KB, 2 views)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #240
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm not really seeing how you can shorten it. You didn't clutter the scene with useless chatter, it's all need-to-know information. Is there any reason it has to be shorter? I think it works as it is.

BTW:

Spoiler
Is Garr's younger self in the cargo bay?