Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old December 22nd, 2001, 12:19 PM   #1
Knight_Vision

Default 3D Max 4 shadow problem...

There is a problem with max. Or at least it seems to be a problem. Can someone explain why I get this inaccurate shadow? I have the window seal meeting the edge of the wall but there in the picture when I render it it shows that there is a gap. There is NO gap. I checked it several times. I have noticed in my other pictures that everyonce in a while I get this same problem.

If the picture doesn't show above, then here is the URL :
http://downloads.members.tripod.com/...dowproblem.jpg
Old December 22nd, 2001, 12:21 PM   #2
Knight_Vision

The shadow acts like there is a gap between the seal and the wall etc. But I can't close the gap so to speak. Any ideas why MAX 4 does this ?

OR how can I get around this problem ?

Thanks again guys..
Old December 22nd, 2001, 03:58 PM   #3
Proximo

Simple answer: Turn on raytracing. THis is what I assume here, that you're using shadow mapped lights, right? Well they always, and I mean always leave gaps in places because they are, as the name suggests, maps place on the object to simulate shadows. Or so is my understanding. And unless you put huge numbers in to the resolution spinner in shadow map parameters, you will always get little gaps and badly cast shadows.

So, as I said, the only real way to fix it is turn on ray tracing. Or, you could try adjusting the res of the shadowmaps and see where that gets you, but don't expect miracles.
Old December 26th, 2001, 09:20 AM   #4
Knight_Vision

Oh hell yea... That works... Thanks a bunch!!!!

Now all of my pics look right for once... LOL