Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Yesterday's Heracles

The title is actually more accurate than one might think. I thought of this image yesterday and that was when I made the Heracles markings for my TOS Enterprise. In fact, this image was the reason for making those markings. Anywho, this is one of those crazy ideas I had. I hope people like it.

Here's an image I did yesterday with the TOS Heracles.

I'm hoping that rendering some images will get me out of this modeling funk that I've been in for the past 4 months or so. I've started a few projects (both Star Trek and Star Wars) but haven't had the willpower to work on anything after starting. I'm hoping to change that, though, by getting started on something soon. I'm also looking to change software. I'm not thrilled with any free programs, I've tried several of them, so I'm looking at Lightwave, Max, Maya and Modo. I'm going to try some free trials and see what I like.
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Cazman101
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Yesterday's Heracles

I like the Hercules its a little clean but then the first pic shows it leaving the ship-wash. I think the overall color of the Bussard collectors is a little pink they are the hardest things to get nailed down I think any one who's built a connie has hit that wall. Yours seem to be pretty close though again a little pink. Theres a video on you tube which has a study of the original bussards hold on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3lsYBGBc10

I suppose it may depend on the lighting.
Cazman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I don't need to watch a YouTube video of TOS bussards, I have every episode of Star Trek that's ever been made on DVD. However, you're correct, the bussards aren't 100% true to the series, nor were they really intended to be. I took some artistic license with those. Trying to get them to look exactly like they do on a 1960s TV series using whatever lighting effects they used (the jury is still out) is almost impossible, so I just took some artistic license. I might make them less pink, I might not. I've been thinking of redoing those.

As for the (presumably TOS) Heracles looking clean, it has weathering. It could have more but it doesn't because the textures are how I want them.
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

OK, changes are applied. They can be viewed here: http://evilgenius180.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/tweaks/

Since those are just "beauty" shots, I'm not reposting them. However, I'll probably at least redo the leaving dock shot.
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I redid the images using the tweaked TOS Heracles.

Old July 10th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #6
kryten
Shuttle Pilot

Fantastic render, the lighting gives a real Wrath of Khan vibe.
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks a lot. Interesting about the TWOK vibe, that's not at all what I was going for but a happy accident. Red and blue just happen to be my favorite colors, so I make a lot of nebulae and planets in shades of those colors.