Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old December 7th, 2001, 12:49 PM   #1
Stu

Default Millennium Class Starship

This one has been 3 years in the making. It was one out of a sheet full of sketching that I had done that my friend said I should work on the design. With his help, it has arrived at its current look. Kind of think of it as the Nova Class' meaner cousin. It's fast and is very capable in battle. Pretty much the opposite of the Nova class. I do have the other views sketched out, but don't want to get to involved in them until I get the top view down. Would be greatful for any comments, opinions, suggects, etc. Thanks.

www.geocities.com/ussmillennium/millennium.html
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:12 PM   #2
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Well it looks great to me.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:27 PM   #3
Korborak

Well, you have done great!
I like everything on it.
Old December 7th, 2001, 06:49 PM   #4
GJHSdesign4

This is a nice ship, and the design is very orginial. I love this sherp angles and it compact features can't what to see more.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #5
Stu

Will, I figured it had been awhile since I posted on 3D Gladiators. And awhile since I worked on this design. here is an updating of this design....

U.S.S. Millennium revision 1

As you can see, I've completely over hauled most of the design. Streamlining the ship more. Changing the nacelles from the radical rap-around design to a more traditional one. I changed it just because I was continuously having creativity blocks with the rap-around nacelles. As for the over all change, I felt the last design was to close to the Nova Class, as was my original intention. This is a ship of action, fast response. But not have it be a didicated warship. I still wanted it to have some exploration capabilities, as limited as they maybe for this ship. I decided to go with a more blend of Intrepid/Nova with some Sovereign mixed in. But at the same time, trying to keep it original. I hope I have accomplished that. If not, then back to the drawing board. As aways, comments and suggestions welcome. Later.
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #6
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I think it's much improved, Stu. I'd love to see somebody tackle her in 3-D form.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #7
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Not fond of the engines at all, but the rest is great! For the engines, rather than having the entire engne turned nose-in towards the hull of the ship, make the enboard edge of the engine straight and leave the outboard edge like it is so they taper inward t0oward the nose without looking like the engine isn't pointing forward. I'd also recommend blunting the tip of the engin and making it end a bit futher back so the engines are more stubby looking. I think they'd fit the design a bit better if you do something along those lines.
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Stu

General Phoenix - Thank you. I too would love to see the Millennium as a CGI model. Maybe there is someone out there brave enough to attempt it.

Seanr - Here is a revision to the ship as per your suggection.

REVISION 2

I do like the enboard of the engines straight. I think it looks a lot better, thank you.

I have also done two quick sketches of what the side view may look like. Here they are:

SIDE VIEWS

I'm currently working on some designs for the warp nacelles. I will post them when I get a few more done. Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions. Later.

Stu
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Stu

Here are some more images:

SIDE VIEW 3
This is just another sketch for a possible side view.

WARP NACELLE DESIGNS
As you can see, I seem to be leaning toward a certain look. However, I'm not sure if I like it enough. I really want the nacelles to be some what original, but not too far out.

AUXILERY VESSEL
This was just something fun I sketched up. It is suppose to be a take off on the Delta Flyer. Maybe when Voyager made it back, Starfleet engineers took the Delta Flyer design and twicked it a little. I was thinking of having it be the auxilery vessel that would go under the saucer section, or it could be scaled down as a 2 person fighter. Just something fun.

Later.

Stu
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Stu

Here are 2 versions of the top view done in Adobe Illustrator:

TOP VIEW 1

TOP VIEW 2

The only real difference between the two are the warp nacelles. Other than that, I think I'm keeping the top view like it is. I may be doing little adjustments here and there to some of the detailing as I work on the other views. I hope to have the side view done by the end of the week. Later.

Stu
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #11
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I think I prefer the second version myself - those nacelles seem a bit less bulky than the ones in the first pic.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #12
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I agree with GP. Coming along nicely.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #13
Stu

General Phoenix & Skyhawk - thank you for your comments. I myself was leaning towards the second version.

I have started on the side view.

DORSAL & PORT SIDE VIEWS

As you can see, I have just started. I still have lifeboats, windows and other details to add. Also I will not be able to do detailing on the bottom part of the side view until I get the ventral view done. I hope to have more of the side view done by the weekend and a rough of the ventral done as well. Later

Stu
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #14
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Looks great. I like the new engines a lot better.
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #15
Fallanore

i specially registered for this particular ship :-)
(and sean's nice works ofcourse)

but i think the old nacelle's look better.
i still have the image of the old USS Millennium somewhere, and it looks more "advanched" if you know what i mean.

==========================================

Somehow, the last version makes the ship look "thin" where as the orriginal looks much scarier, and i prefer the orriginal nacelle's too.
the new ones look misplaced, almost as if they where used as an emergency solution during some dominion war.

to be short:
i like the old version more
i hope to see more of her, maybe even a interrior?

Last edited by Fallanore; January 19th, 2004 at 01:24 AM..
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #16
Stu

Fallanore - I am honored that you signed up because of my design (and seanr's excellent work )

I understand what you are saying. The ship did have an "edge" to it with the other nacelle design. But it was giving me a headache when I tryed to update the nacelles to go with the new "body" I gave to it. The reason I changed the body was so the ship fit more into the design lineage of the "current" state-of-the-art ships such as the Intrepid, Sovereign, and Prometheus Class starships. Here is a chart showing these ships compared to the Millennium Class.

SHIP CHART

For you Fallanore, I will go back into my sketches and post an image of the Millennium with the old nacelle design with the new body. I'll try and get that posted here as soon as I can.

As for any interior views.....you got it. I've been working on some sketches of the bridge. I also plan to do designs for main engineering, sickbay, captain's ready room, and the conference lounge. I also want to come up with a shuttlecraft design for the Millennium. When I'm done, I hope to have a mini-tech manual for the ship. That is my plan.

I'll be posting some new images (hopefully) within the next few days. Thanks to all again for checking out my design and giving your input. It's been a great help for me. Cheers.

Stu
Old January 20th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #17
Fallanore

Ok, i can see where you're comming from now.
in that case i must agree with GP, the seccond version of the nacelles look better.
i somehow imagined her more the size of an intrepid class then nova
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #18
Stu

Here is a quick updating of the dorsal view:

DORSAL VIEW REVISION

All I pretty much did was add more detailing and maybe moved a line or two. I'll have more to post tomorrow. Later.

Stu
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:59 PM   #19
Stu

As promised, more images.

SIDE VIEW

VENTRAL VIEW

Hopefully by Monday I will have colored versions done as will as the bow view. Later.
Old January 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #20
Fallanore

Default great work

hey stu,

great work as usual, BUT (oi..) but when i compair the lengt of the bridge module to the end of the sourcersection with the length on the sideview, the sideview seems rather short :S

i like the overall design, the bottom view looks good, makes her look verry streamlined.

have you had any succes on the 3d part? maybe found someone?
for the interior somehow navy blue colors seem to fit her if you ask me :|
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #21
Stu

Fallanore- Glad you like the progress of the Millennium. I'm pretty happy with the bottom view myself. I took some of the design from the Sovereign Class. As for the top view of the bridge module not matching up with the side view, I'll have to check it out. Thank you for pointing that out.

As for finding someone to made a CGI model of the Millennium, I'm hoping that someone would be willing to donate their time and tallent. I've posted over at Scifi-Meshes.com. Hopefully someone there or here at 3D Gladiators maybe interested.

As for the interior....navy blue huh? I'll have to think about that. I'll hopefully have some roughs for bridge interior on Monday or Tuesday. Later.

Stu
"Narsil"
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #22
Elowan
Master Pilot

I'm glad someone got to see the progress. Other than the 1st picture - I'm getting 'page not available' errors from Yahoo.
Elowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #23
Fallanore

well

try dragging the url to your adressbar, that fixed the errors for me
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #24
Elowan
Master Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Fallanore
well

try dragging the url to your adressbar, that fixed the errors for me
Yeah - right! But C&P worked.
Elowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #25
Fallanore

i am beginning to miss posts from stu LOL
i remember some images from seanr for a prometheus class ship,
maybe they could be modified to serve as an idea for the millennium class interrior?
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #26
Stu

As promised (and a day late), colored versions of the side and ventral views:

SIDE VIEW, COLORED

VENTRAL VIEW, COLORED

Fallanore - I too remember some of the beautiful interiors of the Prometheus that Seanr did. I remember the incredible transporter room he did. I'll have to see if some of those images are still posted. Maybe, with Sean's blessing, I could use them for ideas for the Millennium's interior.

I hope to have some roughs of the bow and stern images by the end of the week. Later.

Stu
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #27
Fallanore

The more i see her the more i'm beginning to think they should make a series with this design.
but one thing keeps haunting me, the warpcore hatch.
it just looks better when its round i think
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #28
Stu

Just a quick update. Today I started on the Millennium's MSD (Master Systems Display).

MSD

I still have more detailing to add, and also to put it in color. I hope to have the MSD done by tomorrow evening, along with some other images that I will be posting. Later.

Stu
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #29
Fallanore

it shouldn't really be posted here, but i took the lucery of writing a mission for your ship Stu.
Much like all my other stories it most likely ends up in "My Documents" untill my HD gets formatted, but i thought what the hell, i might as well post it here ;-)
It's not much yet, ive been writing it since 10 minutes ago oo so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't untill 1 week ago that Cpt. Kingston was apointed as Captain of the U.S.S Millennium, and she still haven't seen any of her ship.
But today would be the big day, finally she got to see her ship that was build in Utopia Planitia.
There was a knock on her door, and almost flying she got to the other end of her apartment to open up the door.
"Goodmorning Admiral Picard" She said, "Good morning Captain, are you ready for the big day? whe have a lot to discuss yet" he smiled at her.
After some coffee and discussing what her first mission was she packed her bags, had one last look at her apartment and then closed the door.
She always made a great tactical officer, her captains often relied on her judgement if it came down to battle, this time it was different.
This time she was in the big seat, and it was different then commanding the bridge during alpha shifts, she knew that much allready.
Her shuttlepod was allready running and just waiting to get on its way, Kingston was just about to sit down when someone else came rushing in.
It was Vic, her first officer, they went to the acedemy together but they lost contact after they each went on with their carreers, how happy she was to see him.
Vic was a fine young man in his early 30's and he served aboard the U.S.S Prometheus for a while.
VIC!! she shouted, jumping towards him with a big smile on her face "First Officer reporting for duty Ma'am" he replied, then he hugged her with a smile just as big as hers.
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #30
Fallanore

Default P.S

please do not mind my spelling/grammar
english is not my native tongue and notepad doesnt have a spellchecker yet ;-)