Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old December 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #1
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Default MOVIE NEWS:- C&TCF & WOTWs trailers!

If you figured it out, C&TCF is Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, directed by Tim Burton, the teaser trailer is finally released and WOW! The song is catchy, might be me.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...tefactory.html

However, if you're not a fan of Tim Burton or anything funny and bizarre and dark, but like Sci-Fi none-the-less (why are you here if you hate SciFi), then WOTW's will turn into War of the World's trailer!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

And for movie news as such, Brian Cox will be playing, well, being the voice of a lion in a popular film, can't remember the title, I know it has a Lion, a Witch and a Wardrobe in it, but can't think of the title at this present time.
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

For the other WotW movie (the one that follows the book MUCH closer and isn't an actor/director ego driven version)

http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWTeaser.html

I really hope this version gets a theatrical release but Paramount seems to be fighting it.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #3
jmartin

Just watched both .... The Spielberb one didn't show enough to give any impression of the final movie. Although I'll admit to being annoyed at the totally unecessary changing of the words in the narration. Wells own opening is well crafted and lyrical. Changing it just to be different killed the rythem and made it sound weak.

As for the other one... christ what terrible acting. I doubt I'll waste time with this one. Which is a pity as I'd rather see the story done properly in the right period.

And also I'd refuse to see it on principle. I'm getting sick of all these me too movies. "Wow ... so and so's making a movie based on XXXX, lets make one to and piggy back off their publicity...."
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

FYI, the Pendragon one was in production way before the Spielberg/Cruise one.

They were producing it under a different name, to keep it a total secret.
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #5
Kai
Victorian Engineer

Warrior's right.

Pendragon were filming under the name "The Great Boer War". the day that Pendragon announced they were infact filming the project they've had in pre-production since 1998, The War of the Worlds, Speilberg / Dreamworks changed their date from 2007 to 2005.

now we have Pendragon's WOTW the Original Story and Spielbergs remake of the 1950's Hollywood WOTW (which has as much to do with the book as the movie Running Man has to to with it's book)
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Ryoken3D

Sorry, but I live by the premis that Accurate to the book dos not equle good movie.. The Hunt For Red October was not accurate at all, but it was a great movie..

I have liked almost all of Spielberg's work, and I'll have faith that accurate or not, it will end up being a good movie.. and a good Movie experence is all that matters to me..

Ryoken
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #7
Kai
Victorian Engineer

well lets examine this shall we?

the differences.

War of the Worlds (Wells)
set in the 1890's England. Story seen from the eye's of a writer and his brother as they try to survive the invasion. the writer moving across the UK trying to find his wife and to basically survive. his brother moving from London to the coast trying to make it to the continent. the army fails to stop the martians, while the Royal Navy loose the Torpedo Ram Thunder Child in an epic battle against 3 War Machines to save the evacuation boats. Story reverts back to the Writer as he is trapped under a martain landing craft and his eventual escape into London where he finds the martians have sucumbed to bacteria.

now... lets see...

War of the Worlds (1950)
set in 1950's USA. Story seen from the POV of a Scientist. US Military fail to stop invasion, including the use of atomics. Science fails to stop invaision. end's in a church where they find bacteria has killed the martians.

War of the Worlds (2004)
remake of 1950's version, date changed to 2000's.

other differences:
Martians (Wells) - bascially an octopus. Large brain directly connected to "hands" made up of tentcles. unable to move easily in earth grav. reliant on their machines.

Martians (1950's) - humanoid. 3 eyes, 3 fingers. able to move normally in earth grav. not dependant on their machines totally.

War Machines (Wells) - Tripod machines, arounf 150 - 200 feet high. vunrable to Artillerly / Naval shells and Mines. Not much else. Armed with Heat Rays (high energy Lasers) and Black Smoke (Nerve Gas).

War Machines (1950's) - Flyers. armed with Heat Rays only. invunrable to all earth weapons due to "sheild"

now.. see what I mean? I would like to see the book. not something some hollywood producer has ****ed around with to what he *thinks* it should be.

you know.. what the writer wrote

imagine if LOTR was done like this...

Set in LA 2050. Frodo has to take the One Chip to be destroyed. helped by Aragon (armed with an Barret Light .50), and Gandalf the white Hacker. against them is the evil company head Suron.....

thats the differences... gimme the Pendragon movie!
and it is gonna get a worldwide release! March 2005
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #8
Ryoken3D

You forget, LOTR doesn't exactly follow the books either..
Though your idea sounds like Hackers meets T2, which would be worth a look :p

I'll still reserve judgement till I see (more of) it.. As I said, Spielberg's never let me down yet...

Ryoken
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Spielberg may not have let you down, but what about Cruise?
Old December 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #10
jmartin

hehe Cruise is a whole other story. Interesting about the change in release date by Speilberg. I'd never have figured him to be one of the "me to's"... although from what you said it looked like that in this case it was two groups working on the same project by co-incidence and Speilberg brought his forward when he heard of the other... either way why do they feel the need to be released at the same time ?

Also as to the 50's version you can't criticise them too much about changing walking machines to flying and many tentacled blobs to the 3 eyed walking aliens ... no cgi in the 50's ... much easier to have ships fly than to make them walk...
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #11
moovok

Look, Cruise makes rubbish movies, and some good movies. Most people do, even my favorite director has (in my opinion) made some rubbish, but also some good. Also, you can't go mocking Spielberg's WOTW's movie just yet, because nobody has seen it and this is a trailer, he may be using book & 1950s movie as elements in it, you just never know until you've seen it (or from the horses mouth).

Plus, LOTRs you can't really update to present day. Like with World War movies, doubtful they'll do one set in our time, they can't. They're sort of for that period, you can't really change that. War of the Worlds can be set in any time, it's about aliens invading Earth and we have no way to stop them and how can we defeat that?

I will see this, reserve my judgement until I've seen this one and I hope you guys will too. Okay, it's not the original classic H.G. Wells one, and if you want to look at that, fine, but...
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #12
Kai
Victorian Engineer

true mikey. but the tell Spielberg and co to leave Pendragon alone!

did you know, Pendragon had to get permission from paramount to make WoTW? Paramount don't own the freakin' book! they made the 50's movie!
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #13
moovok

If I was in direct contact with Spielberg, I would tell him that he has no worries about Pendragon's film, from what I saw, it did kinda stink anyway

Paramount may own rights to it due to them making the 50s film, but I don't know.
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #14
Kai
Victorian Engineer

"ook, Cruise makes rubbish movies, and some good movies. Most people do, even my favorite director has (in my opinion) made some rubbish, but also some good. Also, you can't go mocking Spielberg's WOTW's movie just yet, because nobody has seen it and this is a trailer, he may be using book & 1950s movie as elements in it, you just never know until you've seen it (or from the horses mouth).

Plus, LOTRs you can't really update to present day. Like with World War movies, doubtful they'll do one set in our time, they can't. They're sort of for that period, you can't really change that. War of the Worlds can be set in any time, it's about aliens invading Earth and we have no way to stop them and how can we defeat that?

I will see this, reserve my judgement until I've seen this one and I hope you guys will too. Okay, it's not the original classic H.G. Wells one, and if you want to look at that, fine, but..."

reread your own words child.
you state give a move and chance then you say : "If I was in direct contact with Spielberg, I would tell him that he has no worries about Pendragon's film, from what I saw, it did kinda stink anyway "

which is it? give it a chance or rubbish it?

I personally don't like the 1950's version. and a remake has been done already. they called it "Independance Day".

but you know something?

I quit.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #15
moovok

My words are fine. I am not seeing the Pendragon movie.

Quote:
I will see this, reserve my judgement until I've seen this one and I hope you guys will too. Okay, it's not the original classic H.G. Wells one, and if you want to look at that, fine, but...
I will see this [the Spielberg movie], reserve my judgement until I've seen this one [still on about the Spielberg movie] and I hope you guys will too. Okay, it's not the original classic H.G. Wells one [the Pendragon one], and if you want to look at that, fine, but...

Independance Day, Mars Attacks, War of the Worlds, whatever you call your film, it's still aliens taking over, plus this is more than likely different from Independance Day.

Is that better for you "child"? BTW, I'm not a child. 21, whether in the USA or the UK, is no longer a "child"
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #16
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I have to agree with Kai on this, Mike.

It's not cool to go saying give it a chance (without specifying in the original post at that!) for one movie then trashing the other.

Why *should* we give the Cruise one a chance and not the other?

...and you're both from Britian. Don't drag the US into that
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #17
moovok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
I have to agree with Kai on this, Mike.

It's not cool to go saying give it a chance (without specifying in the original post at that!) for one movie then trashing the other.

Why *should* we give the Cruise one a chance and not the other?

...and you're both from Britian. Don't drag the US into that
If you want to give the Pendragon one a chance, fine. But everyone seemed to be blasting the Spielberg/Cruise one, I was trying to basically say "give that a chance as well." Now, roles have reversed and instead of people having a go at the Spielberg/Cruise, I say that I'm not going cause it looks rubbish and now I'm getting picked on.

You can never win!
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #18
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

First, who's "everyone"?

Second, no one is picking on you.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #19
jmartin

There simply isn't even close to enough of the Spielberg film shown to make any judgement on it. Even the fact they changed the narrative isn't enough to go on. The Pendragon one on the other hand gave us a minute or so of the story and the terrible acting was enough to put me off. And that's odd for a British production. Acting is one thing the UK excells at.

To be honest I really don't expect either to be much good. I haven't seen a decent movie come out of "any" country for quite a while now. Plenty of hyped ones yes, but none that weren't instantly forgettable once you left the cinema. All had obviously gotten together brilliant technicians however not one seemed to have spent more than half an hour on the script.
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #20
moovok

A recent film I went to see is still in my head today - The Incredibles. Fantastic film, really stuck in my head. Last film that I was thinking about it on my walk home was Hannibal, I was considering what a brain actually tasted of and what cannibalism was like. Warped mind, that's all I'll say. Darlene knows what a weird mind I have or will do
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

How would my mom know what a weird mind you have?
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #22
moovok

She's read my book, she knows what runs in my head and if not, my second book will definately make her understand muhawhawhaw

Plus Warrior *breathes heavily* I am *breathes heavily* Darlene *coughs* :p
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #23
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

...but to read your book, the reader would have to have a weird mind too, and thus those with the weird minds would be normal to each other, not weird... so by reading your book, she wouldn't know what a weird mind you have
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #24
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

...and stop trying to look like my mom... Yer hair color is wrong
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #25
moovok

Ah, that's the question:

"Are we mental because we don't see the things other people see or are they mental because they do?"
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #26
dfalconet

This is ALL rather weird to me. I feel like a bug under a magnifying glass. Yes, Mike I do know some of the weirdness of your mind, but not nearly enough or I wouldn't always be on the wrong side of you and irritating you so much. You also know my mind has it's own weirdness.

And yes, Darrell, your Mom has a weird mind too. You've always known that. I haven't lost any extra marbles lately though no matter what you think.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

...and thus, everyone now knows where my weirdness comes from
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:02 PM   #28
Mike Wright

I have heard nothing to suggest that the Spielberg/Cruise movie is a remake of the 1953 version. And if that were true, I'd be extremely happy, because the 1953 film f'ing ROCKED!!!! I love that film, I have the very first edition of it released on VHS, I've had to patch it together with scotch tape over and over again because its so old it keeps breaking in the rewinder.

The flyers from that movie kicked ass, but they looked a million times better in the 1988 TV series. (which crapped out in its second season, but not before introducing Adrian Paul to television)

The book was *not* as good as some of you make it out to be. And incidentally, HG Wells married his cousin, and then left her for one of his students.

I don't want to see Mountain Dew cans on a tripod coming out of spheres. Screw that. Bring on the Cobra Death Ray.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:36 PM   #29
moovok

I honestly liked the TV series. Went to pot when the aliens could clone humans