Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Guyver

Default My new project; The Carrion class Salvage Tug

Removed, new history and pics below.

Last edited by Guyver; November 4th, 2006 at 01:06 PM..
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Guyver

See below.

Last edited by Guyver; November 4th, 2006 at 01:06 PM..
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Lee
Completely FUBAR!

its an interesting design... very nice..

Support the Network: 3D Scifi | Framevoid | Scifi'ers Anonymous | Ejected Core |Wolf Den Productions
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's pretty spiffy. I like the Vulcan-style "nacelle."
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Guyver

Removed for re-post

Last edited by Guyver; November 15th, 2006 at 06:54 AM..
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Guyver

Removed for re-post.

Last edited by Guyver; November 15th, 2006 at 06:55 AM..
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

That's great work ,, the details are really coming on nicely

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Still looking great.
Old November 5th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

I did not have time to read the tech data earlier .. but I doing that now Looks very detailed ..The Super Bee I like it

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Guyver

Thanks guys...
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #11
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Whoa - very cool design.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #12
Guyver

Here is an updated version of my final entry, thanks for the praise guys.

Carrion class
Salvage Tug
NX-67359
USS Wolf

After wolf 359, it became clear to Starfleet that they needed a vessel to deal with large derelict space craft and debris that could also serve as a Tug in the normal ship and salvage yards. The ship would need to be large enough to handle medium length missions, and operate independent of the fleet, with minimal crew. This would cut the cost of clean up and having to dispatch the larger vessels of the fleet to do the work.

One of the designs that Starfleet had to choose from was a Vulcan/Terran collaboration between the Vulcan design group, KOSH, and the Earth based starship construction company, Syrotech. The small vessel had been originally designed as a possible salvage ship to be sold to neighboring governments, mainly the Ferengi. But, after learning of Starfleet’s desire for such a vessel, the ships schematics were reviewed and upgraded to fit Starfleet protocol, and added a few new ideas that were planned for a future version, but would allow this ship to fill the role better. In December 2367, the plans and schematics were submitted to Starfleet for review. It easily won Starfleet’s approval, and plans to build the pro-to-type went underway after only 3 weeks.

The first designation of this new ship was the Super Bee, indicating a larger version of a work bee, but it quickly became apparent that this ship would be capable of so much more. Starfleet then decided on the designation of Carrion class for this vessel, and named the prototype the USS Wolf NX-67359, a designation saved for just such a ship, to honor all that was lost, and to serve as a reminder to all, that out of death, comes life, and we all become a little stronger.

Construction of the prototype began in January of 2368

Mission; The Wolf’s primary role is for salvage, both local and deep space missions of a length of no greater than 4 months, without re-supply.

Secondary roles include; Shipyard, Salvage, Supply/Waste barge and hazardous duty tug vessel,
Mining asteroid support vessel and will fill limited roles in active emergency rescue squadrons.

Standard crew: 8 – (Maximum 18)

Primary crew; (1 Commander, 1 Science Officer, 2 Engineers and 4 Crewmen)

Length – 98 meters
Width – 88 meters
Height – 82 meters

Displacement: 145,000 metric tons. (She is slightly on the heavy side due to her massive internal framework.)

Max Warp – 8.5 (Using the GAP systems to augment the primary warp drive) warp 7.5 without.

Cruise Warp – Standard cruise of 6.0 (5.0 max when towing a capitol ship.)

Decks – 10 (Deck height is 4meters)

Warp Core – In order to reduce cost, KOSH decided to go with the tested and proven design used by the Danube class runabout, they scaled the warp drive by 200 percent, modified the injectors with newer technology to produce 250% more power than the standard Danube core, and designed a secondary warp core into the ship, for times when the power is needed for larger jobs. Warp core ejection systems are built into the ventral part of the core, and the cores are ejected through the work bee bay. If the bay is occupied, then the bee must be ejected prior to core ejection. (All work bees have remote control systems, and do not have to be piloted. This was done to facilitate maintenance and allow quick retrieval if the bee must be ejected.)

Impulse Engines – The Carrion class has 5 impulse engines, 2 forward facing engines on the nacelle ring, close to the pylons in order to prevent too much shear stress, and 2 larger engines facing rearward on the nacelle ring to assist in towing large objects. These 2 engines are further up on the nacelle due to the fact that they create less shear stress because they act as assisting engines, while the last, primary impulse engine provides no less than 70 percent of the thrust. This engine is located on the engineering hull, and is a prototype based on the engines used on the Sovereign class.

Warp drive: The Carrion class has 2 warp drives. The first and primary warp drive is a hybrid Vulcan design. The standard Vulcan ring nacelle, where as it is 225% more efficient than the standard federation warp drive, it is unfortunately only 60% as powerful. To overcome this, KOSH designers melded the 2 drives into the split ring drive used on this ship. It retains 80% of the efficiency of the original ring drive, but boosts power 140%, bringing it to within 90% of normal federation nacelles and within acceptable levels for a Starfleet vessel.
The second warp system is the GAP system, (Geographic Attenuation Propulsion), it is a smaller set of nacelles built into the struts connecting the engineering hull to the nacelle. When the Wolf extends its warp bubble around a very large object, the bubble can tend to be unstable at times, depending on the size of the object. The GAP simply works with the ring nacelles and strengthens as well as boosts the stability, filling in gaps and weak spots in the bubble.

Last edited by Guyver; November 15th, 2006 at 07:00 AM..
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #13
Guyver

(The above image shows the maintenance configuration of the nacelles while the warp system is shut down.)
The split ring nacelle uses modified modular coils, which the Vulcan’s have used for centuries, these modular coils cost much less to produce and can be replaced in a fraction of the time it takes to replace a coil on a standard Starfleet vessel. In fact, they are capable of being hot-swaped while the system is at 100% power, due to the magnetic valves on each side of each coil. This is another cost reducing feature that played a crucial role in Starfleet deciding on this design.

Defenses: The Carrion class has standard shields, and a very strong force field projection system around the bridge. The structure of the ships framework, and hulls, is so solid, that it has been compared to 5mm ablative armor.

Armament: The Carrion class has 2 weapons. The first is a small cutting phaser located under the engineering hull, angled forward, which has a 170 degree field of fire vertically, and a 145 degree field of fire horizontally, (covering space lower than the ships horizontal plane). The second is the new Mark X cutting phaser. The Mark X is a type 10 planetary defense phaser, which was completely redesigned, rebuilt, and configured for a tighter streamed, continuous fire cutting device. Designated the Mark IX at the time, it was tested on an asteroid near the Utopia Planetia shipyard, the phaser punched a hole 3 feet in diameter and 1200 meters long, through an asteroid made up of 92% Duranium ore in approximately 29.2 seconds. It is capable of sustained fire in excess of 20 minutes. Normal phasers will burn out after a few minutes. Where as this sounds very impressive, and it is, the phaser proved useless for planet or ship defense, as standard shields sustained roughly 45% of normal damage form it, as compared against the type 10. The phaser was then deemed strictly for mining use only. The problem was that mining facilities had no use for such a bulky device and it was almost 10 years in storage before brought out of mothballs, updated with current technology, and designated the Mark X.

Tractor Beams: These are the heart and soul of this ship, the front tractor beam is very powerful, but pales in comparison to the rear. The rear tractor beam is huge, powerful enough to pull extreme amounts of mass and weight. The USS wolf was tested to what was thought to be the ships limit, by locking onto an asteroid 400 meters wide, by 325 meters high, by 825 meters in length, and towing it at warp factor 5 for 10 hours. The little vessel barely broke a sweat, complete strain on the whole system averaged to 70 percent of theoretical maximum. More tests are scheduled for the future. The emitter it'self can angle its beam 45 degrees vertically, but the emitter can spin 360 degrees. This allows the ship to put the beam exactly where it needs it. This way, 2 ships can be used to move an object too large for one… Or, on the other end of the spectrum 10 or 15 of them can pull together, and move huge objects like the 'space dock' if needed. Large computers called (MSEC's Multiple Ship Emitter Controller) are located on each ship, which will link to each other ship, via subspace signal, in order to control orientation of the towed object. The individual GAP systems on these ships are also controlled by the MSEC, in order to maintain warp field cohesion. Any deviation outside of preset levels, will automatically cause the group to drop out of warp, and slow until stopped, or the problem has been solved.

Hull: The massive frame work of the Carrion class is solid Duranium, with double redundant structural integrity fields for extra strength. The Inner hull is 3 layers of tritanium, each 2mm thick, with reinforced carbon composites, 3mm thick, in-between. The outer skin is 2 layers of 2mm thick tritanium, once again layered around 3mm of carbon composite. This is done not as armor, but more to increase structural integrity, hence the reasons for very few windows, except in low stress areas. However, the armor factor is there, and gives the ship great survivability in hazardous situations..
There is 3cm of space between the inner hull, and outer skin, this space is filled with an oxygen enriched epoxy foam, that is designed to harden if it comes in contact with an oxygen free environment. (A nice addition by the Vulcan's). The foam is in a liquid state that is pumped through out the hull via the HICS (Hull Integrity Controll System). This system can, in an emergency, actually remove the oxygen from the foam in the system, venting it into the interior of the ship, while discarding the spent epoxy, in solid bricks, out into space. At full capacity, the ship has 15,000 liters pumping through the ship at one time, with a reserve tank holding another 5000 liters. There is enough oxygen, in the epoxy, to keep the sealed saucer section able to sustain life for up to 45 days, or the entire ship for up to 20 days.

Interior: The Carrion class has surprising roominess for its size, it houses 18 comfortably, and the normal crew of 8, lavishly. There is a main bridge, crows nest, 2 holo suites, 8 double occupancy quarters, 4 single occupancy quarters, a large dining hall, 3 large storage rooms, a medium sized lounge, and 4 medium sized general purpose rooms, made to convert into quarters very quickly, if need be, and a small *shuttle bay for one work bee or standard shuttle.

( * The shuttle bay can hold a standard shuttle, but the ship will carry one work bee 99% of the time. Grav/Anti-Grav plates are installed in the large shuttle bay doors, and when together and raised into the closed position, they serve as the floor. All crewman must evacuate the bay before a launch can proceed. The yellow container, to the left, inside the bay, holds 4 exo suits, while the bay it'self will serve as the airlock, if crew members need to go outside. The LCARS panel on the right, is for running diagnostics on the shuttle/workbee, if needed, but has access to the central computer core.)

An environmental force field can be used to keep the atmosphere in the shuttle bay if desired;

Crows Nest: The Carrion class has a small dome on top of the saucer called the 'Crows Nest'. It is a mini control center designed to be operated by one person, however it can be operated by up to 4, depending on the logistics of the job. The crows nest has control over the entire ship, with the exception of the warp drive, and the Mark X phaser. Most operations involving 'Tug' maneuvers, (IE pushing/pulling much larger vessels or objects), do not require the warp systems, but do, however, require maximum visibility. The crows nest is designed to allow the pilot maximum visibility, and a 360 degree range of vision, around the ship. It can raise 14 meters above the saucer to increase this visibility range when needed. All controls are routed through the main bridge, and can be circumvented, or overridden by the captain at a moments notice.

Docking: The Carrion class vessel has been designed with the ability to dock with all types of vessels or space stations, this includes 3 optimally placed, generic docking collars, which will interface with all known docking collar configurations, and an extendable docking tube/collar, that has built in electro-magnets on the inside of it's protective doors. The doors open 180 degrees, exposing the electro magnets, which attach themselves firmly to the hull of the other ship. An independent sleeve then moves into position sealing it'self to the hull with forcefields while the inner tube is filled with an appropriate atmosphere. Cutting phasers, and a tractor beam are built into the sleeve, in order to cut a hole in the hull and move the hull plating back out of the way, if there is no other way into the vessel.

Starfleet has started designing and building barges that can be used to re-supply bases, space stations and even star ships. The prototype, the Oasis, can handle up to 75 crew members and up to 10,000 cubic meters of cargo. These barges can also be used in a variety of other situations, with minimal to moderate conversion. Such as a mobile hospital, or emergency relief efforts. The idea is that less capitol ships have to be used, freeing them up for other duties. One Capitol, or a couple of smaller ships, may be stationed on site for emergencies, while a large number of barges can simply be dropped off for the duration, and picked up when it is over, or time for the crew to be rotated out.

Last edited by Guyver; November 16th, 2006 at 08:18 AM..
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

My official response to this ship is:

It's beyond badass. You'll let us know how you do in this contest, right? That's the least you can do after roping us in like this.
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #15
Guyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180
My official response to this ship is:

It's beyond badass. You'll let us know how you do in this contest, right? That's the least you can do after roping us in like this.

Thanks a lot, and of course I'll let you know.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Cool. I hope you do well. The more I look at this, the more I like it. It's got both a Trek and retro feel to it, which combines 2 of my favorite things.
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #17
morganzacd5p

This is starting to grow on me... Very nice work!
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #18
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Interesting design. What would really make it pop is texturing. Give it some wear and tear especially given the type of duty this ship does.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #19
KDoug
Shuttle Pilot

Very impressive, Guyver! I can see that you've put a lot of thought and a lot of time and effort into it.
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #20
Guyver

Ok, I placed fourth, not even in the top 3, mainly due to the fact that everyone expected Orthographic views, even though the rules didn't state that, and one of the judges thought the actual design suxored.

I got a little pissy about the ortho thing, but wtf, time to move on....

Oh, turns out the judge that ripped up my design, was also a contestant...that bites.
Not so much that he ripped it up, but a score of 5/10 on design means to me that he just didn't like it, not that it wouldn't be able to carry out its role. To me... a judgement on design should be about the role it plays, and how it handles that role, not 'I don't like the design'... he even stated that he placed it one notch above the Vulcan ring nacelled ships. How much do you want to bet he doesn't care for those either.

Last edited by Guyver; December 12th, 2006 at 09:15 AM..
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #21
KDoug
Shuttle Pilot

Sorry to hear about the apparent prejudice. Nevertheless, 4th place doesn't sound that bad to me. What contest was this, anyway? I missed the original version of your post.
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #22
Guyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDoug
Sorry to hear about the apparent prejudice. Nevertheless, 4th place doesn't sound that bad to me. What contest was this, anyway? I missed the original version of your post.
It was a utility ship contest over on SCN's boards.
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #23
Oovebei
DSV Engineer

Finally - I have been trying to find this design since I saw it on - hmm - SFM I think. Still looking excellent.
Oovebei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #24
lwaves

This looks weird - but in a good way!!
Very clean surfaces.
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #25
Kryos

Yeah, what Iwaves said... It definitely has a weird aspect to it, mainly though cause I'm used to a star trek ship that has straight nacelles I suppose and not curving ones that converge like that.