Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old October 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1
gmd3d
Admin

POST STAR TREK GENERAL DISCUSSION

This is a new thread so we can chat about Star Trek.
The Good The Bad and the Strange. your thoughts and opinions. I will post
the key points of a chat that has started here.
http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/s...899#post255899

evil_genius_180
Quote:
Well, since you came up with it on your own, clearly never having seen that thing that ulimann644 posted, it really is original work. It's not your fault someone else came up with something similar first.
ulimann644
Quote:
True - sometimes things like this also happens when you are writing stories. I.e. I´ve had the Idea to splitt one person to three witch have the same character as the original, but being also a little bit different from person to person. After re-thinking I´ve thought: "Too bizarr - too unlogical" and never used it. Ten years later I´ve had reading a story where a professional german novell-author rejoined three persons, all a little bit different from person to person but nearly the same character, to one.

I guess the same thoughts leads often to the same results
evil_genius_180
Quote:
They split Captain Kirk in 2 on Star Trek and came up with Captain Picard and Commander Riker. (I know, that's not what you're talking about.)
Fretslayer
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

LOL!
Taranis
Quote:
no your not .. Kirk for me is the best of the captains in the Trek universe
Fretslayer
Quote:
I 100% agree.
Once during an interview I was asked who my heros were... Capt. Kirk was the first answer I gave. LOL!

One of the things I really like about TOS (and one of the reasons I've set my story in that time period) is that when the Enterprise was out there doing it's thing and the s#*t was about to hit the fan - Kirk sat alone in the command chair. It was all on his head - live or die - it was on him.

In ST:TNG they have that whole 3 chair 'rule by committee' thing and I hate that.
evil_genius_180
Quote:
What, no other Captain Janeway fans in the room? You've gotta admit, those bipolar tendencies made it interesting because you never knew what she was going to do next.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: STAR TREK GENERAL DISCUSSION

Continued
Original Post ulimann644
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
They split Captain Kirk in 2 on Star Trek and came up with Captain Picard and Commander Riker. (I know, that's not what you're talking about.)
You´re right - Meant was more three different aspects ( facets ) of the same person - even and also not even... sharing the same soul...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
no your not .. Kirk for me is the best of the captains in the Trek universe
In ST-Universe: I agree

Quote:
Quote:
What, no other Captain Janeway fans in the room? You've gotta admit, those bipolar tendencies made it interesting because you never knew what she was going to do next.
The role of captain janeway was a little bit to arrogant - for my taste.

UrbanArmitage
Quote:
Hehe, thanks guys. It's inevitable that sometimes people will come up with similar or even identical ideas without ever seeing each other's work. We're all individuals but sometimes we think along the same lines.

For me TOS is definately the winner. Janeway is a bit arrogant in Voyager IMHO, but I still enjoy all the different movies and series'.

I agree about the 3 chairs issue. IMHO a starship is no place for democracy amongst the leadership. It's a captain's place to take advice from his senior officers, but ultimately his/her word goes and there shouldn't be any discussion around it. The captain is after all ultimately responsible for the actions of their officers and crew.

I was watching some episodes of VOY Series 2 again yesterday and in the one episode Janeway gives the distinct impression that she is being dictated to by Chakotay and a couple of other officers about forming an alliance with the Cardassians, which as you probably know wasn't such a great idea in the first place.
UA

Taranis
Quote:
TNG bridge looked to much like a sitting room than a command and control of a starship..

Parhaps we should move this discussion to the proper thread in Viewer on.. ??
this is really for WIPs on modelling
My Blog

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Fretslayer

Having spent my childhood devouring a steady diet of TOS in reruns and later my teen years doing the same with TNG I figured out something that really bothers me about the TNG series as well as the films.

In TOS the Enterprise was not huge.
In TNG the Enterprise is Texas with warp engines.

It's taken me some time to put my finger exactly on it but I finally have what bothers me about the TNG era Trek. It's too damn big. The rooms, the ships, the view screen and the lounge they called the bridge!

In the Kirk era the Enterprise is a small ship in a vast sea of emptyness and danger.
Like watching one of those 'Most Dangerous Jobs' crab fishermen out there in their fishing vessels. Sure they look huge when they're next to some poor bastard in his Carolina Skiff - but once they're out there in the big water they suddenly look like they've become a John Boat of Death.

When I watch TNG I never feel like they're in any real danger.
That takes all of the fun out of it for me. (on the other hand at least TNG has killed off a bridge member)

In my Trek animation I have some nice up-close shots of the starship - the beauty pass.
Then again, I also have some shots that are exteme long range so as to show just how tiny that 'huge' starship really is. It's a speck - an island in a vast sea of nothing.

Not to mention that TNG is just a weeeeee bit too P.C for my taste.
It seems like all of the newer Trek shows went that route.
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

that's my thoughts too

TOS they are out of touch by a few week in some episodes from Star Fleet
So Kirk had absolute power and all the responsibility. So he was like James Cook out in the middle of nowhere, Picard and Later are like modern ships of the sea of any Navies..

and even small details
of the TOS appeals to me more than the later show..

TOS Having to walk to a wall or desk communicator to contact the bridge..
a communicator that you clip to your belt.

The Security details Ran and not walk in an emergency or Red Alert.

I like the TOS Phaser more than any since. possibly my fav sci-fi weapon.

Doc McCoy's tools can also be used as Salt shakers

My biggest regret about the TOS was it never continued and that the other members of the crew never had more story lines.

TNG era .. every thing is was to easy ..

"we have a prob" ..

"Don't worry! We can route this and cross that and it will convert the other too..blaa bla bla..

don't get me wrong I like the shows for what they were. but they lack the cutting edge ...

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 13th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Fretslayer

'don't get me wrong I like the shows for what they were. but they lack the cutting edge ...'

Exactly.

Also I think you hit several nails in your post as well and it got me thinking of the number of TOS episodes where Kirk had to decide do I 1) go and maybe anger Starfleet but save a billion people or (2) sit on my butt and wait for permission ?

Picard just has to pick up the phone and ask for Admiral Lady Friend (they all seemed to be just that) and have a nice little chat about it.

Check this out! I soooo want to make one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfj1n8vPWCE

Sorry about it being a link, the dude has embedding disabled.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

I am having problems with the link ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Fretslayer

Quote:
I am having problems with the link ..
Hmmm... it's working on this end.
Ok then just goto YouTube and do a search for

Blu-ray Phaser

It's way cool.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #8
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Okay, I have to say, that phaser is pretty sweet...
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

finally got to see that link .. It was great ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Fretslayer

Quote:
finally got to see that link .. It was great ..
I know, isn't it?!
I soooo want to make one (or 10) of them!
LOL!

BTW - I'm currently on Buck Face v.5.
LOL!
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #11
gmd3d
Admin

Cool .. looking forward too seen it

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Just use the YouTube code next time

"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Fretslayer

I tried and I got an image of a phaser.
When I clicked the play button I got 'This video is no longer available'.
I knew it was (as I was watching it) so I looked at the YouTube site and it said that the poster requested the embed function be disabled.

I get the same error when I click play on yours.
It could be something on my end though.
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
I tried and I got an image of a phaser.
When I clicked the play button I got 'This video is no longer available'.
I knew it was (as I was watching it) so I looked at the YouTube site and it said that the poster requested the embed function be disabled.

I get the same error when I click play on yours.
It could be something on my end though.
If that's how the posting user set it up, then no, it's not on your end. It's on YouTube's end with the restriction.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Fretslayer

Yah I know.
I was just bein' a goober. LOL!
I spent a good amout of time today trying to get it to work and then I saw the message on the page (on the tube) and I went thought (expletive deleted!) and so I posted the link.
LOL!

Did you check it out?
It's pretty cool.
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Or next time we could just leave the link alone. Some people actually prefer that to embedded code.

As far as the discussion, I might be the only one of us who actually grew up on TNG, so I always liked it a lot. Sure, I love TOS, but TNG holds a spot near and dear to my heart. Sure, they had it easier, but they also had it a lot harder because they had more space and more enemies. (the Klingons, Romualans and Orions combined couldn't take on the Borg.) I also like the later series, where they actually took the gloves off and had both DS9/the Defiant and Voyager get in some really epic battles. Another thing I liked was that they stuck to their story better in the later Treks. TOS had too many changed premises and inconsistencies between episodes.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #17
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Or next time we could just leave the link alone. Some people actually prefer that to embedded code.

As far as the discussion, I might be the only one of us who actually grew up on TNG, so I always liked it a lot. Sure, I love TOS, but TNG holds a spot near and dear to my heart. Sure, they had it easier, but they also had it a lot harder because they had more space and more enemies. (the Klingons, Romualans and Orions combined couldn't take on the Borg.) I also like the later series, where they actually took the gloves off and had both DS9/the Defiant and Voyager get in some really epic battles. Another thing I liked was that they stuck to their story better in the later Treks. TOS had too many changed premises and inconsistencies between episodes.
No don't get me wrong I liked it, it was for me too plastic esp for the first and second seasons ..

the third season TNG came into its own.. and that Borg Story "Best if Both Worlds" was the hardest hitting and super acting by Patrick Stewart. a awesome actor. (note he has been offered a part in a future Doc Who story)
for me it was never the characters of TNG , they where great .. it was the Enterprise not the design now, but how it worked..

I always hated the Bridge and the over all look. and the way any and all effort was removed from the actors. example:if they are called over the intercom they tap their chest badges and that was that. well things where just to easy.. apart from the aforementioned Borg

Kirk and Crew would walk to a wall comm and he they would thump the wall
button and start talking. its a little thing but it looks better.

Quote:
TOS had too many changed premises and inconsistencies between episodes.
no argument there there are black holes of inconsistencies.
:laugh::laugh:

DS9/the Defiant:
yeah that was a great show.. esp when the Defiant showed up.. OK CORAL
or Dodge city ..

But I tell you something .. the best enemy's the Feds ever had was the Klingon's .. constant stalemate very cold war. power for power holding back
at the borders

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #18
gmd3d
Admin

oh one of the thing I loved about TNG was the Romulan stories. all the sly double dealing was great. and seen Spock return to that Romulan question years after the Balance of Terror episode.. Vulcan + Romulan relations and Spock been hoodwinked for 70 years by his so called friend (cannot remember the name)
was great .. it showed Spock's fallibility.

This is a great chat .. yes

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 14th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Fretslayer

I agree that TNG had it's share of moments and excellent writing.
My only problem with the show was that flying city they were in.
I grew up on the water (and go nuts when I live away from it) and I've spent a great deal of my life out on it in boats of various sizes.

Having said that, there is something about being out just a little too far in a boat just a little too small and the darkness of night is upon you and you're chumming the water for shark. I get that feeling from TOS but not TNG.

Sure TNG is a better written show (and at least they remember where they were last week and what they've done and that 'it's life... but not as we know it.' :laugh: ) but I think alot of that comes down to this - in the 1980s when TNG first aired, the population was a hell of a lot more sophisticated on a technical level than they were back in the 1960s when TOS aired. Ths 80s saw the realization of the dreams of the TOS show. I had my first home computer in 85 (a C=64) and microwave ovens were finally cheap enough for middle class families (food replicators) and if you were around back then you remember the snobs and their 'Brick' cell phone (communicators).

I hope (really!) that some of the stuff that we saw in TNG will eventually (hopefully in my lifetime) become as real as some of the imagined things from TOS have.

Oh, and there were a few TNG episodes that dealt with time shifts that were fantastic.

Want to see something funny about the Borg? Ronnie James Dio warned us long before 'Q' did. LOL!

I also really liked the way the show ended with a connection to the way it began - that was IMO brilliant writing. Talk about wrapping things up and bringing closure to a show!

The thing that I did hate though were any episode with Troi's mother - gag -
I mean I know who she is and all of that and it's nice that she was still a part of the show, but the character made me want to go Elvis on my tv set.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #20
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The ship actually is my least favorite part of TNG. It's certainly nothing against Andrew Probert or Rick Sternbach, but I'm not too fond of many of the 2350s to 2360s Starfleet designs. The Enterprise-D is the ugliest of the Enterprise line, IMO. I like the Enterprise-C a lot better and really would have liked it if the show had featured that design. Even the bridge was better which is ironic, since it was a redress of the Enterprise-D battle bridge (which was better than the main bridge, IMO.) But I still like the show.

And there are some great episodes from the first two seasons, IMO. All of the ones with Q were good. There was another enemy that nobody in TOS could have touched, because even Trelane wasn't that powerful. I especially like Q Who? (the first one with the Borg) because it was really dark and you got to see just how malevolent Q could be. And there are some other great ones, The Battle, Peak Performance, A Matter of Honor, The Last Outpost, to name a few.
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #21
gmd3d
Admin

Oh I forgot Q .. great character .. used to perfection from start to finish

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Their biggest mistake with him, IMO, was that episode they wrote him into on DS9. (fortunately, there was only the one.) They redeemed themselves on Voyager, though, with some good Q episodes.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #23
UrbanArmitage

One of the things I miss the most about the later series is a good old fashioned edge-of-the-seat nail-biting tactical battle between the Enterprise and <insert foe here>. There just don't seem to be any anymore. I think this ties back to what has been said about things simply being too easy for the crew in later episodes.

Usually someone simply calls out a tactical evasive maneouvre plan like Omega 6, avoids almost everything being thrown at the Enterprise, soaks up what isn't avoided like it wasn't there or with minimal damage, and then proceeds to disable their oponent(s) in one deft move.

I really miss the tactical maneouvers and fluidity of the battles in Kirk's days.

UA
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #24
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's one thing that I like about Voyager. It was a light cruiser, so they routinely got their butts kicked and had to come up with some hasty maneuvers to get out of it.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #25
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Their biggest mistake with him, IMO, was that episode they wrote him into on DS9. (fortunately, there was only the one.) They redeemed themselves on Voyager, though, with some good Q episodes.
that DS9 episode was where the Q was boxing with the captain ? or something like that

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 15th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #26
Fretslayer

Quote:
That's one thing that I like about Voyager. It was a light cruiser, so they routinely got their butts kicked and had to come up with some hasty maneuvers to get out of it.
Sounds like a good time to use the Corbimite Maneuver!
(not sure about the spelling!)
LOL!
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #27
gmd3d
Admin

its Corbomite .. I had to check the spelling myself

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
that DS9 episode was where the Q was boxing with the captain ? or something like that
Yeah, that was horrible. John DeLancie didn't even have any whitty lines and even his sarcastic ones were stupid. Basically, he acted like a child instead of the ancient, malevolent (though often amusing) entity that he was on TNG. It got a little better as the episode progressed but it's definitely not one of the better DS9 episodes.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #29
Fretslayer

I tried really hard to get into both Voyager and DS9 but I hated all of the characters.
LOL!
Not even Obrien and Worf could get me to watch DS9.

And Voyager seemed to me to be the same episode every week.

'Intro: Voyager might have found a way home (insert happy music) but (insert event,alien,bomb,borgbomb here) threatens to destroy (insert dramatic music here) Voyager... Will they make it home or will they be destoryed?! Tune in and find out!

After the 15th or 16th time they did that I sort of began to hope they'd get destroyed just as they saw home.

Yah, I know that's not a popular thing to say but it really is how I feel about the other two shows and I really did want to like them.

Maybe I'd like 'Star Trek: Klingons Gone Wild!' - I don't know.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #30
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I like all of the Star Trek series (even the ultimate fan un-favorite, Enterprise.) They all have their great, good, not-so-good and absolutely wretched episodes, but all shows have that. Though, TNG & TOS tie as my favorite of the ST Series, with DS9, Voyager and Enterprise (in no particular order, so I stuck them chronologically by production) lagging slightly behind those two. I also like a couple of the internet fan series, Phase II (formerly known as New Voyages) and Starship Farragut. I need to check out a couple others.