Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old December 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Watchmen

Has anybody else seen a preview for this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

I got The Dark Knight on DVD on Tuesday and I saw this preview and I thought it looked pretty friggin' cool. So, I pulled out my big book on DC comics history and found out that this was a comic mini-series in '86. Anywho, with all the comic movies out there, I think this one is worth watching. Sometimes, IMO, the more obscure comics make for better movies because they don't have as much history to live up to as something like Batman, Superman, Spider-man, X-men, etc.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Lee
Completely FUBAR!

Default Re: Watchmen

Hmm... Looks interesting....

Support the Network: 3D Scifi | Framevoid | Scifi'ers Anonymous | Ejected Core |Wolf Den Productions
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's what I was thinking. Apparently, it's one of those alternate universe things. (even more alternate than most comics) Plus, it's by the guy that directed 300 and I think that's a good flick.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

<Sarcastic mode>You live under a rock?</Sarcastic mode>

Watchmen is / was one of the greatest graphic novels ever written, truly. It has actually been named by various literary critics as one of the best American novels of all time. Of course it, to be fair to you young whipper-snappers, it was written in 1986. I had the original published series and recall being able to sell it at a tidy profit about 5 years ago.

The film is supposed to be very close to the novel / comic. Hope so because it was amazing. The trailer(s) have been out for months now and has been one of the most viewed on Apples trailer site for some time.

Yes, it is an alternate universe story.

Check out the site watchmenmovie

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post

Watchmen is / was one of the greatest graphic novels ever written, truly. It has actually been named by various literary critics as one of the best American novels of all time. Of course it, to be fair to you young whipper-snappers, it was written in 1986. I had the original published series and recall being able to sell it at a tidy profit about 5 years ago.

The film is supposed to be very close to the novel / comic. Hope so because it was amazing. The trailer(s) have been out for months now and has been one of the most viewed on Apples trailer site for some time.

1: No, I don't read a lot of comics, as I've mentioned in at least one other thread here.

2: There haven't been that many movies worth watching this year, so I haven't seen the preview before now and I try to have as little to do with Apple as possible, including going to their website. Besides, as I've repeatedly mentioned, I have dialup internet, so I try to avoid watching previews on the internet because of the download time.

3: Just because you've heard of something doesn't everyone has and it doesn't mean you have to go all in sarcastic mode over someone else not knowing about it. I'm sure there are plenty of things I've heard of that I could do that about when people don't know them but I don't do that.
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Kai
Victorian Engineer

http://io9.com/search/watchmen/bydate/?timerange=all lots of lovely Watchmen information...
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
1: No, I don't read a lot of comics, as I've mentioned in at least one other thread here.

2: There haven't been that many movies worth watching this year, so I haven't seen the preview before now and I try to have as little to do with Apple as possible, including going to their website. Besides, as I've repeatedly mentioned, I have dialup internet, so I try to avoid watching previews on the internet because of the download time.

3: Just because you've heard of something doesn't everyone has and it doesn't mean you have to go all in sarcastic mode over someone else not knowing about it. I'm sure there are plenty of things I've heard of that I could do that about when people don't know them but I don't do that.
Obviously I should have used a different mode than sarcastic

Did not mean to strike a nerve. I just found it humorous to see this thread as, in certain circles, Watchmen is getting as much if not way more attention than J. J.'s Star Trek. Of course, it helps if you are an older fart like me that was into that stuff way back then.

If I offended - very sorry.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL Re: Watchmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post

I'll second what he said, especially the bolded part

Seriously though... if you can find the graphic novel or reprints anywhere, snag 'em. This truly was... no... IS one of the best ever comic stories.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, sorry, I just have a little pet peeve about people who seem to think that just because they've heard of something or like it that everybody has and does. It brings back some not-so-fond memories of a jackass squad leader I had in the Army who thought it was blasphemy when people didn't like what he did. (he thinks Freddy Got Fingered is the best movie ever made, just so we have a frame of reference.) I try to avoid making assumptions like that myself, especially given some of the obscure crap that I like.

And, in my own defense, you guys have to admit that Watchmen wasn't exactly a huge series, it was only a few-part mini-series that came out in 1986. (I was 7 years old in 1986)

I've probably seen it when I was looking at graphic novels but ignored it because it wasn't something familiar to me but I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm at a bookstore. I'm sure with the movie coming out there will be new reprints hitting the shelves soon, if they're not there already.
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

If anybody is looking to buy the graphic novel, Amazon has it for $10.99 with free shipping (you have to spend $25 to get the free shipping.) That's a lot better than most of the bookstores, which are selling it at the list price ($19.99.) I ordered my copy earlier.

Watchmen Graphic Novel