Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #1
CBSection31

Default Any Babylon 5 fans here?

Hey everyone, just wondering if there are any other B5 fans here, and if so, do you also like Crusade, the spinoff series? I have yet to see it and am trying to decide whether to bother renting it. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Redgeneral

Only managed to see the first episode of Crusade, but it seemed good
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #3
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Crusade was allright. I believe it sufferred, like Firefly, in that some episodes were originally aired in the wrong order. I would have liked to see where the story was going with the little box that talked to Captain Gideon.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #4
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I didn't like the end of Crusade, it was too much CGI without the greatness, so it looked rubbish. However, I joined the B5 fans after the Shadow Wars, so I can't wait to watch that on DVD
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #5
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I enjoyed B5. I also enjoyed Crusade although it needed more time to grow into it's own series. I would definitely rent it and watch it in the order it was supposed to be seen in. Hard to believe that was 6 years ago already.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #6
kenposan
Shuttle Pilot

love B5, never got into Crusades.
kenposan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

Crusades had about 8-9 episodes. It's mission to save the earth from a Shadow disease that was slowing killing everyone on Earth. They have one year to find the cure. The clock is ticking. You win - you die scenario. The Crusades just didn't go anywhere with the short time it had. It did come up with a few good characters like the techno mage, and the weird archeologist looking for relics. Beyond that, I wish it had lasted longer, or a made for TV movie to finish up their mission. It would be nice to know where they found the cure, and who/what tries to stop them.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8
waxxel

I was a huge fan of B5 right from the begining. I loved the whole mystery behind it and the overall story arch. I like ongoing series like this and it was good to see DS9 do the same. I'm not one to debate which was better or who ripped off who, I liked both B5 and DS9. I would never take B5 as the anti-trek that Firefly I guess tried to be. However I feel there is room enough in the Vers for all. While B5 suffered from low production value, it more then made up for it in story. Man, JMS wrote every script for 3 seasons. You don't get much better then that and he had Harlan Elison as an advisor.
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #9
angerdog

I was a big fan of B5, but for some reason or other could not get into crusade. I'm not sure why though, I loved the universe, choice of actors and the characters. But just the same I couldn't seem to get into it. Possibly because you allready knew the outcome of everything thanks to the finale of the original B5. I still plan to get them on dvd if possible though, for completness sake.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #10
Harbinger

I too was a big fan of B5, and have to admit I was deeply moved by the final episode (I think it was originally shot as the fourth season finale). Crusade wasn't bad, but it definitely deserved at least a second season. Legend of the Rangers, on the other hand...
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #11
dolphinius

Hi there, first post and it is in this area.. Great series B5 was and Crusades was good but like what was previously said it suffered from lack of care by the network that was airing it. It could have been better and carried on the legacy of B5 if only, like now, Science Fiction was taken more seriously. I would rent it just to get a different perspective and for the effects..All pretty good.
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #12
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Tell your friends- An all new B5 discussion area is now up here at 3DG
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:49 AM   #13
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

I loved B5 when it was on tv on a regular basis. I even enjoyed Crusade. I have all of B5 on dvd including the movies that have been released onto dvd. I also got Crusade. Wished it had lasted longer than 1 season.
Holodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM   #14
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I agree. I think Crusade had a chance, but the studio killed it by releasing the eps out of order. I remember the angst that caused back in 1999.
I have all of the B5 episodes on tape, but they probably are no longer viewable due to age.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #15
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Having never watched any B5 stuff the first time around, I have just finished Season 2 of the DVDs.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

I have some of the B5 episodes on vhs tape that I had bought when they became available in groups of 3 episodes at a time. Most I think are from season 1. Not sure what to do with them now that I have all 5 seasons on dvd along with the movies. Only B5 movie I'm needing now is "Legend of the Rangers" on dvd.
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #17
VidFX
Shuttle Pilot

Aye I loved B5, when i could see it, but the TV company kind of lost interest, and showed only the last few episodes in a single week to conclude the series.
I have tried to catch up on the web, but with so many fan sites, and fan created 'continuing stories' I am confused as to exactly what is what :!:
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #18
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidFX
Aye I loved B5, when i could see it, but the TV company kind of lost interest, and showed only the last few episodes in a single week to conclude the series.
I have tried to catch up on the web, but with so many fan sites, and fan created 'continuing stories' I am confused as to exactly what is what :!:

Have you checked into getting the DVD's or seeing if the vhs tapes are still available?
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #19
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

Here are a couple of websites that I have come across that might help a little also.

http://www.b5tech.com/

http://home.flash.net/~smabry/docs/b5.htm
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #20
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

So Warrior, what do you think so far?
I really enjoyed the stories and the overall arc.
I don't exactly remember the seasons anymore. Is Sinclair still in charge?
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

sky, just started S-4. I'll be starting threads on the eps/stories/etc, so you'll get my thoughts there
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #22
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk223
So Warrior, what do you think so far?
I really enjoyed the stories and the overall arc.
I don't exactly remember the seasons anymore. Is Sinclair still in charge?
Sinclair was only in charge during the first season if I remember right. He may have been in charge for awhile during season 2, but Sheridan took over as the station CO & by the 5th season Sheridan was President of the Alliance & Lockey was in charge of the station til the end of the series.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #23
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Sinclair was first season only.

Sheridan came in right from the start of season two.

I didn't really care for how that was handled. I really liked, and actually preferred, Sinclair over Sheridan.

I was so happy seeing Sinclair return in "War Without End", the conclusion of the Babylon 4 episode from season one.
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #24
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

tee hee! One of the episodes I liked I think it was an episode for Crusade. It is when Lockley was in charge of the station & the Excalibur comes to the station for a visit & Lockley takes the Captain of the Excalibur down below section of the station. They had made a bet that she wouldn't be known by anyone out of uniform in that area of the station & then he is shocked when the food vender they stop at refers to her by name.
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #25
VidFX
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Here are a couple of websites that I have come across that might help a little also.

http://www.b5tech.com/

http://home.flash.net/~smabry/docs/b5.htm
that really does help, but to be honest I would rather watch than read, one can't really appreciate the special effects in text
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #26
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

VidFx... do you have any of the B5 episodes on tape or dvd?
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #27
VidFX
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holodoc
VidFx... do you have any of the B5 episodes on tape or dvd?
Not a one, but I do have a good visual memory.

I started to watch B5 as a client once said "I want it just like..." so I had to watch to see like what! then got hooked on the story line (day of the dead was great).

But trawling the web, finding refrences to B6! etc. does get very puzzeling
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #28
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

To help with *some* of the FX visualization, take a look in the Gallery

As for B6, some old friends of mine create a 3d model of a B6 station.
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #29
VidFX
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
...As for B6, some old friends of mine create a 3d model of a B6 station.
Ah, I was wondering where that came from, kind of thought that I might have missed something.
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #30
Holodoc
Lil' Bear

VidFX... Just sent you a PM.