Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old May 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM   #31
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
I don't know... Han always did seem a bit shifty to me.
Now that I think about it... I think he may have been huffin the spice.
I think you might be getting Star Wars confused with Dune.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM   #32
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
I think you might be getting Star Wars confused with Dune.
LOL!

Actually, I think Lucas got Star Wars confused with Dune.

There are quite a few concepts from Dune that show up in Star Wars.

Speaking of Star Wars... Here's a funny little story.

One fine evening I'm sitting in a bar having a few beers and I overhear a conversation taking place a few stools down. There was this small group of people catching a buzz and talking Star Wars. I sat and listened for a while and then I offerd them this amusing jewel.

'You know... 3PO is a spybot. Who built him? Who was on the ship with Leia when the Empire captured her? Who was on the rebel base when the Death Star was approaching? Who was on Hoth when the Empire found the rebel base? When you think about it, every bad thing that happens to the rebellion happens when 3PO is around. I'm tellin' ya... He's a sleeper agent working for the Empire. He has no idea he's spying and reporting back but he is in fact, working for the Empire and Darth Vader personally.'

Oh, man did I bugger up their entire night with that. LOL!
They pondered it for hours.
LOL!

:laugh:
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM   #33
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
LOL!

Actually, I think Lucas got Star Wars confused with Dune.

There are quite a few concepts from Dune that show up in Star Wars.
Well, Lucas did always admit that practically every concept he came up with for Star Wars he borrowed from other things and changed to fit his purposes. But most everything that's "original" is done that way. Much of Star Trek, Star Wars and Firefly (not to mention others) are borrowed from old westerns.

I always like all the people that assume that the producers of DS9 stole the idea for Babylon 5 just because the guy that created it came to them with the idea for B5 shortly before DS9 aired. Did it ever occur to those people that the whole reason Paramount passed on B5 could have been because they were already developing DS9 and didn't feel the need to buy another show that was so close to the DS9 concept? (It's just as likely an explanation.) Nothing is ever truly original and people have come up with very similar concepts independently before and a story about a space station that's home to many diverse races wasn't exactly a new concept at that time either, it was just the first time someone(s) wanted to make a show about it.

Quote:
Speaking of Star Wars... Here's a funny little story.

One fine evening I'm sitting in a bar having a few beers and I overhear a conversation taking place a few stools down. There was this small group of people catching a buzz and talking Star Wars. I sat and listened for a while and then I offerd them this amusing jewel.

'You know... 3PO is a spybot. Who built him? Who was on the ship with Leia when the Empire captured her? Who was on the rebel base when the Death Star was approaching? Who was on Hoth when the Empire found the rebel base? When you think about it, every bad thing that happens to the rebellion happens when 3PO is around. I'm tellin' ya... He's a sleeper agent working for the Empire. He has no idea he's spying and reporting back but he is in fact, working for the Empire and Darth Vader personally.'

Oh, man did I bugger up their entire night with that. LOL!
They pondered it for hours.
LOL!

:laugh:
That's pretty funny. Though, to be honest, I always thought 3PO was the perfect Rebel agent. Without him, nobody would have any idea what the hell R2 was saying. Also, he talked them out of many tough spots (the Stormtroopers in the control room in Star Wars, the Ewoks in Jedi, to name a couple.)
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM   #34
Fretslayer

Yah, but see - we don't know what R2 was saying... He might have been saying 'Bleep boop-boop-blagga-blip-blebble,bleeble,NI!' and 3P0 says 'Oh, R2 says we should stay right here and we'll be safe.' -- In the mean time R2 is screaming there is a Wompa in a dress headed this way and it's singing something about forbidden love.

I never trusted 3PO.

LOL!
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM   #35
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

My favorite was always things like:

R2: "Bleep blorp boppity boop"
3PO: "You watch your language!"

If I had 3PO in my corner, I'd send him in as a diversion every time (kinda like they did in Jabba's palace.) Of course, you don't let him in on your plans, but you can't come up with a better diversionary tactic than having that blabbermouth on the inside distracting and confusing your enemies.
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Fretslayer

Quote:

If I had 3PO in my corner, I'd send him in as a diversion every time (kinda like they did in Jabba's palace.) Of course, you don't let him in on your plans, but you can't come up with a better diversionary tactic than having that blabbermouth on the inside distracting and confusing your enemies.
Which is exactly why Vader used him to keep an eye on the Rebels!
LOL!
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM   #37
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

You're not letting that theory go, are you?
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #38
Fretslayer

Quote:
You're not letting that theory go, are you?
LOL!

I think it's a funny theory and so very messed up.
But really... you can make a successful argument for it.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #39
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Sure you could. You could also make an argument that Darth Vader was a closet member of the Rebellion, we just typically don't go there.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM   #40
Fretslayer

You ever notice you never see Yoda and Vader in the same place?

...just sayin.

LOL!
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #41
Anmol

interesting link, thanks for sharing it
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #42
Boorsman
Shuttle Pilot

What I like about Star Trek is that everything at least has some kind of explanation, even if none of it makes any sense to me. Also, why is it that they, in Star Wars, have all this interplanetary space travel technology, but still dress like feudal times? I mean, what's up with the hooded cloaks, the tunics, and such?
Boorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #43
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Why do we still wear ties when we can go to the moon?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #44
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorsman View Post
Also, why is it that they, in Star Wars, have all this interplanetary space travel technology, but still dress like feudal times? I mean, what's up with the hooded cloaks, the tunics, and such?
You could probably ask the Vulcans, Klingons and a number of other Star Trek races the same thing.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #45
Boorsman
Shuttle Pilot

The thing is, everyone in Star Wars dresses like that. Not so in Star Trek. However, what I do like about Star Wars is the way they were able to solve the problem with artificial intelligence. But, how can robots feel pain? I don't remember which episode it was, maybe 4, where there is one robot being tortured by having its tread like feet burned with a big heating coil like thing and its screaming. Interesting.
Boorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #46
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Ah.. but in a Galaxy far far away... life is NOT as we know it

A sentient 'droid is no different than a sentient V'Ger... or a Jar Jar Binks
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #47
Winterhawk

Quote:
The thing is, everyone in Star Wars dresses like that. Not so in Star Trek. However, what I do like about Star Wars is the way they were able to solve the problem with artificial intelligence. But, how can robots feel pain? I don't remember which episode it was, maybe 4, where there is one robot being tortured by having its tread like feet burned with a big heating coil like thing and its screaming. Interesting.
It was in ep 6 return of the Jedi inside Jaba's palace when R2 and C3po were being taken downstairs to be set up for duty under Jaba's Ownership.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #48
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk View Post
It was in ep 6 return of the Jedi inside Jaba's palace when R2 and C3po were being taken downstairs to be set up for duty under Jaba's Ownership.
Today we have "Artificial Intelligence" so why shouldn´t have a "Droid" on a much higher Tech-Level "Artificial Feelings" ( Perhaps with organic-components - not so much like Borg - but for example with half-organic sensors under the feetplates that can transmit pain via half-organic nerves to an organic-plasma component of his brain - that he use for a better understanding of natural lifeforms... ) Puh... sounds like science-fiction, I guess... ( Also see my signature... :cylon: )
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #49
prijikn

star trek is science fiction.It is much more based on science and the natural future of technological development.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #50
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by prijikn View Post
star trek is science fiction.It is much more based on science and the natural future of technological development.
You mean: Only Star Trek is science-fiction ??
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #51
steven3

I like Star Wars better than Star Trek simply because it has better stories than most of the Star Trek series. Even though I saw Star Trek first, when I saw Star Wars, I was taken by the magic of the series and now watch Star Trek but don't like it as much as Star Wars.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #52
shrox

Well, in the Star Wars universe, advanced technology is ancient, in Star Trek, advanced technology is only a few hundred years old.

Cool, my Roomba, a robot vacuum, just finished doing the floor! Yes, I have a real, working, useful robot, something neither Star Trek or Star Wars has.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #53
gmd3d
Admin

Star Trek will for me (I think) remain my fav... but its harder to put anything into Trek as it has a legacy that Star Wars does not have.. how many hundreds of hours of Trek is there in relation to Star Wars .. Star Wars is really only beginning if handled properly.

I would love to have seen Han Solo driven stories, pre A new Hope days ..

what a great way to tour the Wars Universe .. but through the eyes of its lowest form of villainy he he Han..

from the days he was a street kid .. or meeting Chewie for the first time.

Star Wars has by design a freer hand at the creative side and more money..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #54
shrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Star Trek will for me (I think) remain my fav... but its harder to put anything into Trek as it has a legacy that Star Wars does not have.. how many hundreds of hours of Trek is there in relation to Star Wars .. Star Wars is really only beginning if handled properly.

I would love to have seen Han Solo driven stories, pre A new Hope days ..

what a great way to tour the Wars Universe .. but through the eyes of its lowest form of villainy he he Han..

from the days he was a street kid .. or meeting Chewie for the first time.

Star Wars has by design a freer hand at the creative side and more money..
I work in video games, a friend that worked on Star Wars online said that people will write to complain about a tiny little inaccuracy like a marking is the wrong shade of red.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #55
gmd3d
Admin

same in trek .. but I meant by freer hand in the creative department .. is Stories

Trek has rules that cannot be broken or bent .. look at Enterprise .. they messed with that and very few fans liked it..

Wars has also the same following but stories have more flexibility .. I think anyway ..

I am not surprised the some people complain about inaccuracy.. boths sides are the very some

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 30th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #56
ulimann644
Code Blue

Basicly it´s different to compare Trek and Wars - ´cause Trek is a show and Wars are movies. IMO to write a good story for a 2hours movie is easier as writing a "main-story" for 20 episodes of a show like the 3rd season of "Enterprise" for example ( one of the best stories for a show IMO ) ( For really good stories - reading SF-Novells is a must... for example from Isaac Assimov, Philip K. Dick or Stanislaw Lem )

My fav movies are Star-Wars and my fav Shows are Star-Trek and B5 - and I can´t say one of them is the best ´cause they all have it´s individual good parts
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:12 AM   #57
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

One thing I like better about Star Trek is the books. It's not that I don't like Star Wars books, I love them, but since there was never a Star Wars TV series, you have to have read most of the earlier books to know what's going on in the later ones. Star Trek books (except the mini-series books) are usually self-contained stories that relate to the events o the shows, not to the other books. It makes it a lot easier to pick up practically any Star Trek book, as long as it's not part of a mini-series and you're familiar with the particular TV series to which it relates, and know what's going on. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Star Wars books (which is usually why I stick to reading ones that take place around the movies and relate mostly to the stuff that happens in the movies.)
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:21 AM   #58
gmd3d
Admin

Whats your fav Book eg180

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM   #59
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

There are too many books that I love to really call any one of them my favorite (kinda like movies. ) Some of my favorites are the Star Trek books of Diane Carey, Peter David and Michael Jan Friedman. I also love Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books. (He's the one that started the whole books after the movies thing with Heir to the Empire and its sequels.) Reading has always been one of my passions, long before I even knew about CGI.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #60
gmd3d
Admin

Same here ..
Some of my fav in trek are

Strangers from the sky
Best Destiny
Enterprise

Vendetta

Dreams of Raven

3 minute universe

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs