Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old January 12th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #1
thomas7g

Default The Bonaventure!!!!

I finally got a faster cpu so I can do 3d modeling again. For fun I started the bonaventure from the Time Trap Animated trek episode. I've gotten alot of it fleshed out. Mostly I have to do the hard bits on the secondary hull. I'm really sick of modeliing that bottom scoop and the shuttle bay. I've done it waaaay too many times! :P

http://www.vitalcircuits.com/~3dglad...onaventure.jpg

I have Masao's diagram. Its really good, but I think the numbers on the Nacelle are off. It looks pretty clearly that the NCC comes after several numbrs. I can't read it well enough to read the registry and I don't have the tape. Does anyone have the tape and can take a look? I would appreciate very much if you could tell me the numbers.
Old January 12th, 2002, 05:46 AM   #2
thomas7g

btw since this ship is only seen in profile once, I had to make some guesses. I did go with the teardrop saucer. I haven't figured out the impulse drive, but I hope it won't be too bad. I did notice I had trouble with the bars on the side of the deflector. On the E it touches the outside edges of the secondary hull, but because of this design it tapers in more and it would stick out farther. Possibly theis was worse cause I widened the secondary so it would look better from the front. Also my engines are farther apart than Masao's design.
Old January 12th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #3
Zoxesyr
captain-owner-aboard

Default Wow!

I stand in awe. I would love to see the 5-shot set of this one.

I think there is another shot of this profile, that shows more of the ship. I seem to remember some stubby fins on the warp nacelles. (roughly at the place where they are on the 1701.) you can sort of see one at the far right side of the pic.
Zoxesyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2002, 02:11 PM   #4
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Looks great - glad you got set back up!

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Looking good, Tom

Having gotten to see the earlier pics of your work on it, I see this one is going to ROCK!

Side note: Tom played games with me, showing me pics of it with the file names as "mysteryship".

He made me guess what it was. Took me a couple times, but I guessed it! Mwaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa!!!!

Funny how he's working on this, since I was working on my version of the Robot Cargo ship from the animated at the same time!

...we Californians are weird.... :p
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #6
thomas7g

yup very weird

Thanks for the praise! I still have a long way to go, and I plan to make this one public for download if Darrell wants to host it. Eitherway I plan for others to have fun with it.

Its pretty ugly. I was faithful to the one pic above I have of it. And Used Masao's great diagram as a crutch. And I'm adding as much as I can to gently tinker some better esthetics to it. But she's still not the prettiest girl in the spacedock.

btw I haven't done the tailfin on the nacelle because I don't have any reference of it. And I'm hoping to find some before I reach that point.

I also need more info on the markings. I can't see them clearly. The nacelle looks like "02 11 NCC". I wish I had bought this one, but I don't have it
Old January 12th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #7
Zoxesyr
captain-owner-aboard

I bet her captain thought she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen, when he took her out of port.

Zoxesyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2002, 08:10 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Tom, I'd make the nacelle fins the same as the Enterprises.

I'm suprised you can't see it. Look right above the second "C" in the NCC on the nacelle
Old January 12th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Masao

I'm very happy you're working on this, Thomas. It looks great!
I think you're nacelles, especially the back half, are more accurate than mine. I made mine on the schematics more "refined," but yours look more like the screen cap. I also used a registry that was requested by the guy for whom I made the schematics, so it was not accuate. I also can't make out the registry.

The only change I would make would to extend the bridge dome in the back. I don't remember what I did on my schematics, but looking at it now I think it has a tail.

With group members working on the robot ship and Huron, we'll have a complete TAS set. Anyone want a go at Cyrano's shuttle from "More Tribbles"? I'm working on schematics for that.
Old January 13th, 2002, 05:13 AM   #10
thomas7g

I'm beginning to like her too. She kinda grows on ya, like an old chevy.

I can't see the nacelle cooler thingies back end. I don't know what the back end of the nacelle looks like. But I may take your advice and make a version similiar to enterprise.

Thanks Masao. I'm glad you cleared up the registry. That was confusing. I'm hoping my friend Kail chimes in here. I could use his expertise on this.

I think your bridge elongation may have been the turboelevator. At least that's what I'm going on.

http://www.3dgladiators.net/agoraphobia/post/bona2.jpg

shuttlebay is done. did some fine tuning of the bulges on the secondary hull. Added a impulse engine similiar to the one from the trek pilot.

Added nozzles to the nacelle based on the romulan bop. Then remembered they bop was a sublight craft. DOH.
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:53 AM   #11
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

Default Bonaventure WIP

Well, here is my first post. I think it looks awesome Thom. I've always wanted to see some nice TAS models and schematics, and I've sure gotten them! You guys do GREAT work. I love seeing the ships in all the different angles, really brings them to life. Can't wait to see the finished shots and share them with the visitors to my TAS website. I'm thinking of creating a special gallery just for Thomas' 3D TAS work. Truely some of my favorite TAS art. His cargo tug, and Aqua shuttle are very popular.

I'd be more than happy to display anyones work on either TAS or Main Engineering.

Wish I could be more helpful with the registry of the Bonaventure, but my various sourses have conflicting info.
Kailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #12
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Welcome, Kailer

Thomas had lost your site, so I found it for him again *L* We were talking about the Huron while on ICQ.

I asked Tom, since he'd had contact with you before, about the Huron mesh. I was wondering if you had a copy of it, since the fellow who rendered the scene on you site doesn't seem to have a web page and his e-mail addy was dead.
Old January 13th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #13
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

Sorry Warrior, I don't have any mesh's, and have not been able to get back in touch with the artist again.
Old January 13th, 2002, 02:30 PM   #14
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Ok. No biggy. I had wanted to compare it to the one I''m building is all
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:33 PM   #15
thomas7g

HEY KAIL!!!

WELCOME! Glad to see you in here. I've always enjoyed your TAS site and I was glad to see it back up

Masao- I have a question. Where did you get the design for the aft end of the nacelles? I was wondering if that was something you pullled from the animation or if you just refined it from another fan based design. I'm not quite sure what to do with mine.
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:52 PM   #16
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

Thomas, I looked at Time Trao just today to see if I could get a shot of the nacelle end, but unfortunetely it never shows it.
Old January 13th, 2002, 05:26 PM   #17
Masao

Welcome, Kail.

By coincidence, I've been pestering Kail on my own to send me screen caps of TAS ships. It's nice that we can all meet up here.

I thought that I got the back end of the nacelles from a screen cap, but it turns out they come from the side view from the other TAS site (Curt Dannhauser). I think what he came up with is pretty good, since they are, as you say similar to those on the BOP (which we all KNOW were warp nacelles, despite what Michael Okuda thinks). They're also similar to those on some of my own Pre-TOS ships. If you're going to use something of your own design, I wouldn't go with anything too busy at the end, since the nacelle already has a lot going on with the variations in diameter and the fins. On the other hand the Constitution nacelle has more going on at the end because the barrel of the nacelle is fairly simple.
Old January 14th, 2002, 01:38 AM   #18
thomas7g

Default Re: The Bonaventure!!!!

Thanks for the info

Did a little more work. Fine tuned the saucer section and changed the impulse engine from a v8 to a v4. Added the kind of nacelle ends the E had at the start of its production.

Old January 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM   #19
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

I like this Thom. Much better then just a whole in the end. Please keep posting updates!
Old January 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM   #20
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Looks spot on. Good work there.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2002, 05:52 AM   #21
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

The 'E' type nacelle caps are a great touch. This thing is coming out fantastic.

My Site

My Blog
Old January 14th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #22
Masao

Gee, I kind of liked the big hole in the end!

To each his own... **sigh**
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #23
thomas7g

The hole was certainly alot less facets. Its starting to get bulky now. 300,000+ polys. I didn't realize how much I was using!

Oye. Almost done with meshing. I'll post a new pic as soon as I can finish that stage.
Old January 16th, 2002, 04:35 AM   #24
thomas7g

well, I just got some possible work. So I have to create a mesh for a proposal. Actually more like a test. So I may not have time to finish the mesh till this weekend. So here is a few images of where I am now.

Still have to add:

secondary Hull: the cargo door on the side, windows to the ventral bump, hanger bay lights on the lip, nav lights, add red striping.

primary: circular lights on teh forward dorsal bump, finish impulse bar thingie, indent impulse exhaust, (maybe add numbers or just put that on the texture), red bridge lights.

nacelles: redo tail fins, add red striping, (maybe add numbers), nav lights.

And any extras I can think of.

I was thinking of adding the little curved dark stripe on the saucers top surface near the navs just like the pilot Enterprise. I dunno if it would look good. Also was thinking of adding the panelling around the bridge like on the pilot E.
Old January 16th, 2002, 04:38 AM   #25
thomas7g

btw- I lost the federation font. Can anyone point me to Mushula's site? There's a link to the font there I recall.
Old January 16th, 2002, 04:47 AM   #26
thomas7g

hmmm.... now that I look at it, and the original screen cap, I think there is too much saucer lip in front of the saucer bulges. I might have to reduce that. That would also reduce the witdth of the saucer also making it smaller....

Any opinions?
Old January 16th, 2002, 05:29 AM   #27
scaramanga
Flight Instructor

tell me, how did you make those sweeeeeeeeet bussard textures?
scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2002, 05:44 AM   #28
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

I lost Masao's link and don't have that font on my work system anymore (nasty registry problem forced rebuild). If you can't wait for the one he recommends here is a site that has one:

http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_...Indices/A.html

My Site

My Blog
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #29
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

Wow! Looking REALLY nice Tom. The detail is GREAT! I am definetly going to make a new page on my site. A whole gallery of your TAS ships. Can't wait to see the final product.

Good luck with the work proposal!!
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:39 PM   #30
Kailer
Shuttle Pilot

I personally like the way the saucer looks now. Don't want it to look TO stubby.