PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Kretchet shots

Thomas P
November 26th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Here are two Kretchet shots over at my site - each is 800x600. I have larger versions without credits for the TOS site. How do they look.

Pic 1 (http://3d.concept40.com/images/uesn/kretchet_01.html)

Pic 2 (http://3d.concept40.com/images/uesn/kretchet_02.html)

Pic 1 is with a Pioneer Class passing Jupiter.
Pic 2 is 'out there' laying mines.

skyhawk223
November 26th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Actually, pic 2 is Not Found on the server. Must have blown himself up by a prematurely armed mine. These things happen.

First image looks pretty cool. Post it up!

Thomas P
November 26th, 2001, 12:43 PM
I see them both.

Masao
November 26th, 2001, 03:38 PM
I see 'em, too.

Wow, that Krechet sure has a big fat head!

I like the pics, but the lighting might be off a bit in the first pic. The light on the gas giant (looks like a recolored Jupiter) is from the front, but the strongest light on the ships is to their front, left and below. Putting the planet in half light might make the background a bit more dynamic.

What are those things coming out of the ship in the second pic? Sensor drones, I guess. Maybe some maneuvering nozzles would be good for them.

Thomas P
November 27th, 2001, 06:08 AM
I see what you mean in the first pic - but that is all geometry and the key light source for the planet and the ships is the same. The back light that appears on the leading edge of the ships is the planet reflection - and that is Jupiter.

But now that you point this out I can't see it as a well composed pic :(. Back to the rendering board!!!!

As to the 2nd shot - those are mines :eek: Nobody plays fair. They have wrap around sensors and maneuvering thrusters on each end. The spike is a wave guide for when the mine goes off. Essentially; it targets the ship, aligns itself and then BOOM! The blast generates a high intensity beam of something or other that is channeled by the spike. Teller came up with the idea when he was proposing X-Ray mines for Regan's 'Star Wars' program.

Masao
November 27th, 2001, 04:37 PM
But, the reflected light from Jupiter seems stronger than the light falling on the side of the ship facing us, which I assume is either directly from the sun or relected from an offscreen moon. Since Jupiter is directly in front of us and in full illumination, then the light has to be coming directly from behind the viewer. That light should also be falling just as brightly on the side of the ships facing us and should be stronger than the light reflected from Jupiter.

Thomas P
November 28th, 2001, 06:15 AM
PIC 2 (http://3d.concept40.com/images/uesn/kretchet_02.html) has been completely replaced. The planet is now a blue gas giant, I added 3 new lights to eliminate use of a global key light and fill light. Added a nebula background to 'pull' the planet out and the light angle is differenet so that the planet has a shadow area.

Masao
November 28th, 2001, 03:59 PM
I have no complaints about the lighting!