View Full Version : 4 view Huron

Thomas P
January 7th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Masao has done it again!!! Look at this masterpiece:

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/10182001/usshuron.jpg

Darrell Lawrence
January 7th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Cool :)

thomas7g had made one in Max, and I have a half done one in LW.

Now I can finish mine :D

Masao
January 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Thomas7g has one? Thomas! Post some nice renders of your USS Huron, please!

I drew this for a few reasons: to encourage someone to model it, for my upcoming museum article on Starfleet Transports (I'm also working on the robot ship), and to replace that crappy Geoffrey Mandel schematic that's posted at the Starships Schematics Database (which is back on line, if you haven't already heard). I had to guess a bit on the width of the forward structures, but I think they're pretty close.

I'm also working on some schematics for Cyrano's scoutship from "More Tribbles, More Troubles," which we might assume is the unseen ship he used in "The Trouble with Tribbles."

thomas7g
January 7th, 2002, 09:16 PM
WOW! Cool!

Nice work.

but I never built the Huron. I built the Robot Cargo ship from the tribbles episode. The Huron I believe is from the one with the Orion pirates. :D

I did see one mesh built of this. But it was kinda basic. It did however have all the right bits in the right places :)

Darrell Lawrence
January 7th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Eep! I thought it was you that made it. I know you made the cargo ship too.

thomas7g
January 7th, 2002, 09:59 PM
nope. Would like to, but I wanna work more on the projects already on the table as soon as I get my computer parts. Should arrive tommorrow or the day after. Then I have to reinstall everything as I have realized my c drive is failing. :)

Masao
January 7th, 2002, 10:00 PM
I thought so! I saw Thomas7g's robot ship at Kail Tescar's TAS site. I was hoping you'd do a newly textured version of that ship.

The only modeled Huron I've seen is by Mateen Greenway. However, he based his mesh on Geoffrey Mandel's very old, very inaccurate schematics. He has a few renders on this page: http://mateengreenway.simplenet.com/trek/tos.htm

Thomas P
January 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Here is an updated view:
http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/10182001/usshuron2.gif

Thomas P
January 10th, 2002, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry Masao, how are they different?

thomas7g
January 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
One small error. The nacelle struts attach at different points on different views.

Masao
January 12th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Damn nacelle struts! Thanks for the tip.

Anyways, the differences I made:
1) Refined big black window on secondary hull
2) Fixed "pipe" on thing near the back on the side
3) Added a small round window on the lower rear hanging thing
4) Added a few lines to the pipe "hinge" on the front scissors.
5) Added

Small, but meaningful changes for compulsive persons.

Thomas P
January 13th, 2002, 06:36 AM
:D Now I see 'em!

thomas7g
January 13th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Its really nice work :)

Do you do it in photoshop? Or Illustrator or something similiar?

Masao
January 13th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks, all. I do all my work in Macromedia's Freehand (version 7 for Mac). It's the second most popular vector drawing program for the Mac, after Illustrator. I've never owned or used Illustrator.

Added (continued):
5) A little line to the bottom of the clam shell doors
6) Continued the gray stripe from the base of the lateral "whiskers" around the front to the other side.

I'll fix the nacelle struts when I get back to the office on Tuesday.

skyhawk223
January 14th, 2002, 05:43 AM
That's just one funky looking ship. It sort of fits in to Trek by way of the nacelles, but the rest of it could be from another series.

thomas7g
January 14th, 2002, 01:03 PM
I think the fragile bits are out of place, but the basic curves and such fit in with the art style of the props and sets of the series.:D

Masao
January 14th, 2002, 05:26 PM
When one of you guys finishes a mesh, you can put Huron in a scene next to Enterprise and see how they look together. I'm looking forward to seeing if they're compatible.

Thomas P
January 15th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Here is an additional update from Masao on the 4-views. (I'm lookin hard this time :) )

Rev-3 (121KB ) (http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/10182001/usshuron3.jpg)

Masao
January 15th, 2002, 04:22 PM
I swear this is the last one. Even if there are mistakes I won't change them. On to the next ship!

thomas7g
January 15th, 2002, 05:26 PM
So Darrell, how far are you progressing on this puppy? :)