PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham class

Commodore-SirJohn
January 29th, 2002, 11:08 PM
It's not as done as I'd like, but I'm releasing it in hopes that someone might finish it off (especially texturing, which I've never been able to do...)

I present the Nottingham Class Deep Range Explorer!

http://www.alltel.net/~kb2izy/martz-on-black5.jpg

A short flyaround animation:

Flyaround movie (Warning, it's 8MB+) (http://www.alltel.net/~kb2izy/martz.mpg)

And the mesh itself and scene file containing the light setup seen above:

Mesh and Scene File (http://www.alltel.net/~kb2izy/martz.zip)

If anyone would like to texture this beast or do a conversion, I invite you to knock yourself out. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the ship is somewhere between the Galaxy and Nebula classes in size.

Standard credits on posted images would be nice, but not an absolute requirement. :D

Enjoy!

Commodore-SirJohn
January 31st, 2002, 06:47 AM
27 views but no replies? Isn't anyone interested? :(

HawkHart
January 31st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Thanks, :)

Texturings not exactly my strong point either but I'll have a look it.

Commodore-SirJohn
January 31st, 2002, 07:04 AM
I'll probably be doing some little bits and pieces from time to time, and I'll be updating the zip file accordingly. The next probable step will be insetting the windows or adding some hatches... Dunno when, though. The last time I tried adding hatches, it looked like crap. :p

But, anything anyone can do to improve it will be welcome.

Rolk
February 6th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Hui
I must say a cool Mesch
and a cool flyby:D

bye and make it so

starforce2
March 2nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
Other than the naceles, I think the texture, atleast in the vid, is fine.

BTW, what's the poly count?

Commodore-SirJohn
March 3rd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Poly count currently stands at 33429 with 88726 points.

The textures used are those built into Lightwave 7.0. If someone wants to try Aztecing this thing (or just adding a shield grid), I'd appreciate it.

And if someone wants to round the edges on the nacelles a bit (though the overall shape is correct), feel free. :)

starforce2
March 3rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Well, the ship wasn't up 2 hrs and it got a hit, wanting to make it his next project.

2 others drooled over that concord connie variant someone else posted. (I put both in the same thread)

Commodore-SirJohn
March 3rd, 2002, 08:54 PM
???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

starforce2
March 4th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Sir john, the moddeler working on the model is unable to Open the file because he does not have the newer version.

His response was this:
I think I can open up LWO thats earlier than v6.5 If he could export the model to 3ds it would be most useful, or another format such as ASCII, DXF, ASC, DXF

I have no clue what any of that is so I copied it from the ICQ message.

Commodore-SirJohn
March 4th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Hmm... Unfortunately, I can't do that with the most up-to-date version, but I do have some (with different markings and window configurations) in LW 5.6 format.

Is there somewhere I could ftp it?

BTW: Where'd you put it up? I'd like to see what other people are saying about it...

starforce2
March 4th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Well, u can send it to me via e-mail, or ICQ.

http://stgn.ugforums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51542

Though the topic was not specific to the Nottingham class, the Concorde is stealing the show...

However, if Major payne wants to build it, then it must be a decent ship design.

If you can find someone to convert the current version, or save it as an older version, please do.

Right now the "moddeling wishlist forum" is fairly new, at is not visited that often. However, a good way to judge your ship would be to wait for the release of it in the main modding forum. This is why I made the above request, we want to get it as exact to your design as possible. (people bitched about the number of "please make this ship" threads, namely by yours truely, and they made a request forum) Why do you think I came here? I ran out of new ships on the other cgi forum...lol. Hell, I dug all the way back to the bedinning of the said forum for wip's...I ahve no life:eek:

Commodore-SirJohn
March 4th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Ah, okay... You want to make a version for ST: Armada!

You do realize that the Nottingham class is NOT designed for combat, right? :)

Anyway, give me your email address, and I'll send one of the other versions. The basic shape is the same, but it's hit the "point wall" that was the biggest problem in LW 5.6, so nothing can be added to it in that version without making a second object and parenting it.

starforce2
March 4th, 2002, 02:59 PM
I, ofcourse, have no idea what any of that modeling jibberish means.

But, if it is a deeprange explorer, it could serve as a science vessel, or a combat vessel. Most long range craft of that size pack quite a punch. (think, would you send a weak ship out do deep space for long periods of time?)

But with odf's as easy as they are to make, most people can arm it to the teeth and have it run around whipping tactical cubes, or turn it into an easily destroyed science vessel.

Commodore-SirJohn
March 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
This is true. Basically, it has the same armament as the Galaxy class ship, which it was designed to succeed in the main deep range exploration role.:tos:

starforce2
March 4th, 2002, 03:16 PM
well, a galaxy class is a decent battleship in it's own right.

Commodore-SirJohn
March 4th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Not as good as one purpose-built for it. Remember, the Jem'Hadar tended to tear through Galaxy class ships with ease...