PDA

View Full Version : Starbase

skyhawk223
February 1st, 2002, 05:30 AM
Thought I would post another project I am working on...the starbase seen here. Needs a lot of texturing work (what else is new) and some more detailing. Maybe 50% done. As you can see, I threw in the Starmaster and Quetzalcoatl (spelling?) for perspective.

http://hometown.aol.com/~skyhawk223/sb_ships.jpg

Thomas P
February 1st, 2002, 05:35 AM
Big :D Kind of Earth-to-the-Moon meets TOS.

skyhawk223
February 1st, 2002, 05:38 AM
Thomas, you sure responded quickly. Can you see the whole image? I only see half of it, but I know the source file is ok. Strange.

thomas7g
February 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM
I can see!

It does remind me of the old 1960s movies. I like :)

Masao
February 1st, 2002, 04:26 PM
Skyhawk must be channeling the spirit of Willy Ley!

I suggest that you bulk up the main axis a bit. Both the 4 spokes supporting the ring and the central post supporting the ends of the "dumb-bell" all passing through that rather small sphere. I'd thicken the central post, enlarge the sphere, and broaden the attachment points of the spokes. That way you might be able to do away with those diagonal supports, which seem like a extreme navigational hazard!

thomas7g
February 1st, 2002, 05:41 PM
May I make a suggestion? :nervous:

Instead of using primitives, you could get a much more dynamic shape by lathing. Its much easier to add really cool details.

The image below is just one spline lathed with some good texture maps, nothing else.

http://thomas7g.3dgladiators.net/www/3Dimages/V/VM7-29b.jpg

skyhawk223
February 4th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Masao, let me see what I can do with it.

As far as lathing goes, I used to use that method a lot back in my Pov Ray days. However, the lathing for tS is a little wonky. I don't like how the tool works. Also, I was going for a simple look for the ring to fit the era although I agree the whole thing needs more details. Simply looks too plain the way it is.

thomas7g
February 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
hmmm thats too bad. Lathing is a very useful tool. :(

Have you ever heard of gmax? I don't know much about it. But I think its free. I'm suggestiing cause I've heard from a few people that TS is hard to use. (I don't know if that's true or not).

I'm thinking about giving it a try. I don't know which would be better, my old version of MAX or a stripped down version of the new max :)

Thomas P
February 4th, 2002, 11:41 AM
So what would you do with GMAX since it cannot render? Isn't it a mod for games that support it? (Like MSFS 2002 and Arena).