PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone really boycotted watching shows on Sci-Fi?

Dark Overlord
December 14th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Hope I don't get banned for asking this but.....

I read the letter over at Save Farscape about boycotting Taken if they didn't agree to keep Farscape.

I presume this "threat" carries over to other programming as well.

So did anyone really boycott watching Taken?

McC
December 14th, 2002, 01:33 PM
I did, but my parents did not, so the point is somewhat moot where I'm concerned. However, there is some glimmer of hope. Here's a snippet from a conversation I'm currently having with a Texan friend of mine:

McClure597 (16:22:46): With FarScape, the ratings took a very minor dip in the beginning of season four -- no worse than they were in season two when season two got off to a slow start -- and they immediately cancelled it, which brought about the huge campaign against that cancellation.
Psycho Aggie01 (16:23:14): and I wonder what the ratings have done now :-)
McClure597 (16:23:16): So, in that case, it wasn't a matter of dragging it out to squeeze money out of it, it was a matter of premature cancellation by short-sighted suits.
McClure597 (16:23:54): Well, the rest of season four will air starting Jan 12. I expect a tremendous ratings skyrocket (especially since they've been promoting it in tandem with their big Taken series, which has drawn in tremendous ratings as well), and Sci-Fi is going to be sitting there eating their hat.
Psycho Aggie01 (16:24:25): lol - yup
McClure597 (16:28:43): So, I'll be interested to see what happens there.
Psycho Aggie01 (16:28:49): indeed

Like I said, I'll be interested to see what happens. :)

thomas7g
December 14th, 2002, 01:53 PM
sorry... I watched all of Taken. Though I regret I wasted the first week.

On the whole Scifi's shows suck. So I don't watch them anyways. I just watch Stargate. Stargate is fun :D

Vertigo1
December 15th, 2002, 12:59 AM
The only show I watch on that channel is Stargate and Farscape. Once those two are gone, I'll have no reason to even have it in my favorites list on the Dish Network reciever.

Dark Overlord
December 15th, 2002, 08:35 AM
That is an incredibly well thought out post.

As I said, I saw the letter over at the save farscape site where they were advocating boycotting Taken if Sci-Fi failed to give into their demands.

In a very carefully worded response, I asked what logical sense it would make to boycott another program that a lot of people put a lot of hard work into, that have nothing to do with the cancellation of farscape.

Nothing inflammatory or confrontational was in my post, just a question. I was banned from the site in less than 10 minutes. My entire employers IP range was banned.

Then I managed to find info here and there that the kooks over at save farscape were ban crazy, banning numerous businesses in the industry, and people who said anything positive about Sci-Fi or other shows.

Apparently they were fanatcial about any mention of the word Taken, which would result in immediate banning.

After that I found it very hard to take them seriously, realizing it was just another group of kooks. At least the admin staff anyway.

It would be nice to see someone organize a group of serious fans that truly had an interest in Sci-Fi and Farscape that didn't act like complete fanatics. No one takes "threats" and the promise of some form of retaliation seriously.

Krystal
December 15th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Are they something in Scifi right now? :rolleyes: Well, I really haven't found anything to see since Farscape and Stargate ends. I probably will see them again when this two begin. Who could tell that I was an avid Scifi fan and now don't find anything. Fridays night on Scifi for me were a must see, now I don't even see it. That were the good times, Farscape, Invicible Man, First Wave even when they have Prey or Strange World.:(

Krystal :confused:

Mike
December 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
I don't think we should boycott Sci-Fi, but I think it's important that we use our personal story to reinforce the importance of Farscape to the success of neighboring shows. I, for example, only watch Sci-Fi when Farscape is on. As a result, I also watch Stargate since it's right next to it. I will not watch Stargate once Farscape is gone.

With that said, I know that this is it for Farscape on the Sci-Fi channel regardless. I'm actually carrying the attitude that a 5th season is out of the question and the only hope for continuation exist in other unlikely forms, such as a feature film or miniseries. I've accepted the failure of the Farscape business model and I understand why Sci-Fi had to let it go. The only thing we can do now is show support so that there might be a future for the franchise. I think Farscape, by nature, will hold a strong following for a long time. There is a future for this show.

I don't watch the Sci-Fi channel because I don't have the time to watch a 20 hour miniseries, or the interest in shows like Stargate, reruns of the X-Files, or Tremors. I will watch Farscape and Stargate once they resume, and I'm really looking forward to the Dune miniseries.

Dark Overlord
December 16th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by VBKatLou
Dark Overlord.....

What site are you talking about? Got a link? Just curious.

Just look at the sigs here. Half of them have the save farscape site in them.

I'll check out the one you listed.

Arrghman
December 16th, 2002, 09:19 PM
I pretty much agree with the anti-boycott... I won't bother reiterating it ;)

But the only thing I do watch on SFC right now are SG1 reruns anyway... and of course, all of Friday Prime once they resume it. I didn't watch Taken per se, but the whole thing is waiting for me on my parents TiVo for me to watch during winter break.

SolidServo
January 10th, 2003, 10:35 PM
I have too........this last season of Farscape will be my last season of Sci-Fi also.

Vertigo1
January 11th, 2003, 01:50 PM
bumping up old threads isn't smart Servo.

Arrghman
January 11th, 2003, 05:22 PM
it's not THAT old vertigo... and he wasn't bumping, he was repling :uhdrop:

SolidServo
January 11th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo1
bumping up old threads isn't smart Servo.

Uuhhhhhh...........Ok........Like Arrghman said I was simply replying........did't kmow that was a problem.

Sorry