PDA

View Full Version : "A Constellation of Doubt"

moovok
February 10th, 2003, 12:31 PM
So, it was shown on BBC2, what did you think?

I have to admit, I really think it was an okay episode to begin with, the television transmission showed several views. It was the last 5 minutes which shocked me, Crichton making a deal with the devil :)

Mike
February 11th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks for putting this up moovok! :D I just can't keep up with the brits these days ;).

moovok
February 11th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Well, I saw all the rest as Mike, Mike, Mike, so I thought another Mike should do it :)

I love Farscape anyway :) But trust me, you'll like this episode when you see it, the ending definately. Back to Farscape good and old, the episodes were either good or okay, but the endings were always ace.

Proximo
February 12th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Yeah, that ending really gave me a turn as well. Not entirely unexpected, perhaps, but it was carried off with far more panache than most series could manage. The only problem I have is that I've mised a huge chunk of season 3, so I'm missing a lot of information and background. But it was good. :D

Arrghman
February 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM
I'm still in shock that I was right... :eek:

Guinan
February 15th, 2003, 08:05 AM
:eek:
WOW, this is another one of those eps. that need to be seen more than once to grasp it all...
It was nice to see John's TV works. Too bad it picked up a crappy cable TV documentary. ;)
The interpretations of what people would really think and say if we were really visited by aliens was dead on. People will think what they want to think even when they are repeativly told the truth... "Earth is under no threat from the Peacekeepers."

And what about John remembering the word "Katratzi" being spoken by Sikozu? But it wasnt' Sikozu it was Skark-Sikozu from "Unrealized Reality". So this begs the question, where is Stark in all this? Is he going to come back?

So, despirate to find Aryen, he make a deal with Satan himself....
:yikes:

Arrghman
February 15th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Guinan
And what about John remembering the word "Katratzi" being spoken by Sikozu? But it wasnt' Sikozu it was Skark-Sikozu from "Unrealized Reality". So this begs the question, where is Stark in all this? Is he going to come back?

And who else might become involved from a possible unrealized reality? :eek:

McC
February 15th, 2003, 09:55 AM
I hopped on and voted 10 the instant I finished watching this ep. DAMN! This one kicked ass :D The ending pushed it from 8 or 9 to solid 10! Damn, I honestly didn't think he'd actually ever give Scorpy wormholes willingly...then again, end of S3, he sorta did the same thing, so is he going to follow through? This time it involves Aeryn, so he just might...

Arrghy, what was your theory that you were right about?

Captain Zefram Mann
February 15th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Damn good ep. Farscape is one of those shows not afraid to let the characters handle the ep. Having D'Argo, Chiana, Noranti, and others commenting about everyday human things and concepts was just a huge breath of fresh air from the usual danger/reaction/action/win-and-go-on-like-nothing-happened formula in sci-fi. It really reminded me of those eps of Babylon 5 that had the news show interviewing the ambassadors and crew. It not something that should be done too often, but when you have solid and believable characters, it can be good to just let them carry the ep on the strength of their personalities.

moovok
February 15th, 2003, 11:09 AM
See, I didn't want to spoil it for you Americans, that's why I didn't try to say much. But making that deal with Scorpy, OMG John, what have you done? I was in my chair at home, thinking, "WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?"

Poor John though.

Krystal
February 15th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Great episode! I like it a lot and give it a 9. Totally enjoy the thing with the program, and how people react to what our friends say or did. It was hilarious some of the reactions. Looking forward to see what happen after this, it looks is going to be a great ride. :D

Krystal :rose:

Captain Zefram Mann
February 15th, 2003, 03:26 PM
WHo the hell gave it a 4 with no explanation?

****in' Berman and Braga must be taking turns voting at this site.

Guinan
February 15th, 2003, 05:38 PM
nah, some nut-job from the SCI FI channel probably..... :(

Arrghman
February 15th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by McC
Arrghy, what was your theory that you were right about?

My theory, which I don't think I posted over here, was that Aeryn would for some reason be lost... either captured or possibly killed... and that Crichton would attempt to either go back to past events/manipulate time to get to specific unrealized realites for the purposes of rescuing her. Which appears to be what he's going to do.....

Arrghman
February 15th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Oh, and part of the theory was that he would screw things up, possibly to the point of it looking like he wouldn't be able to fix things... which would be one hell of a cliffhanger...

Also, I just realized... the next episode is the last one before the start of the 4-part finale... :(

Spiller
February 16th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Captain Zefram Mann
Who the hell gave it a 4 with no explanation?

shouldn't an admin be able to find that out? would be nice to know...

i gave it a 9, fantastic episode.

arghman: i think you're wrong, partly because i've read the description for the next ep, and partly cos i don't think he's dumb enough to do it.

4 part season finale? oh god...

Arrghman
February 16th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Spiller
arghman: i think you're wrong

it's been known to happen ;)

farscaper
February 16th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I myself thought that this was kind of slow. no real action. No finding out where Aeryn went to... Mostly just a differnt view of an episode I already saw.

I thought the documentary had its good points, but it dragged on and on and... well... I fell asleep! (though that was inpart due to a very hard long day with little sleep of late).

Anyways I missed the very end. Anything interesting happen?

btw... I miss imaginary scorpy. He was alot of fun. The real thing is okay... but he was funner as a figment of Johnnie's imagination. :D

Captain Zefram Mann
February 16th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Alright, but what scale are they going by? A 4 is what I give to a half-ass, plot-hole filled Enterprise ep like "Minefield". What kind of scary good sci-fi are they watching on TV that this ep warrents a 4? Maybe it's a four compared to a movie like Blade Runner, but what original TV stuff would this guy give a ten?

For it to be fair, there has to be some kind of referance. That's one of the reasons we like an explanation if somebody is going to vote like that. What's a 1, and what's a 10?

Guinan
February 16th, 2003, 07:27 PM
They have never participated..... not really. They just vote low and run. We encourage them to come forward and discuss WHY the feel as they do.
By not comming forward and continuing to hide, it leads us to wonder if this is indeed a troll, as we have explained to you before.

THe continued silence of the low voter leads us to speculate that it is not a fan of Farscape at all... so we are speculating. nothing more. :P

Captain Zefram Mann
February 16th, 2003, 08:08 PM
I smell trolls.

I say we don't count the vote unless a reason for it is given. If we let someone just bash and run then this place will end up like an AICN Talkback.

McC
February 16th, 2003, 08:10 PM
I've been saying that for how long now? ;)

Mike
February 16th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I tend to see an episode twice before talking about it here, but I haven't had the time. This is my favorite episode since the restart of the season, thanks to how brilliantly this episode plays with John's psychosis, particularly with the word "Katrazi". It's amazing how organically the Farscape character stories unfold, it seems too complex to be conceived through the producing process. Similar to Ryanh, that twist with "Katrazi" at the end pretty much shot my score from a fairly low level to a very high level. I would have given it a 10 if the execution of this clever premise was at all believable. The testimonials were about as believable as a Ronco infomercial. But the character exploration more than made up for the shaky believability.

McC
February 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM
The issue has been dealt with. Please do not make further mention of it. The thread has been significantly altered at the request of the Administration. I apologize if any of the posts I've edited/deleted stepped on any toes, but thems the ropes. Let's let this rest and get back to what's important -- FarScape.

Darrell Lawrence
February 17th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Yup. Been dealt with.

Any probs like this again, contact me ASAP.

Lumikko
February 19th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Another great episode. I loved the use of the TV program. Typical sleazy, tabloid TV, turning things to one interpretation, regardless of how they were intended.

McC
February 19th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Much like a crummy Fox special :D :duck:

Rhade
February 19th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I found it to be a solid ep that provided some nice followup on the aftermath of the Earth visit, while at the same time providing criticism/commentary on the human condition. Specifically, humanity's reaction to perceived threats to the existing social order, as well as the sly jab at the pop culture pressures on children evidenced in Chiana's talk with John's nephew.

But my enjoyment of the episode was limited by the use of the televised investigative report strorytelling device. Just a personal thing - I've never really liked these types of episodes dating back to the ISN special reports they used to do on B5.

- 8 for the investigative report plot device
+ 3 for the frelling fantastic scenes of John losing it because of his grief
+ 2 for the ending & deal with Scorpius
- 2 for the closing credits leaving open the possibility of having to watch another episode of "Alien Visitation"
+ 2 for having a University of Michigan expert ;) :D

Total: 7/10

Rhade

Mike
February 19th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Rhade

+ 2 for the having a University of Michigan expert ;) :D

Oh, are you an alumn?

Rhade
February 19th, 2003, 08:34 PM
^ How'd you guess? :D

Vertigo1
February 19th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I guess I'm the only one that was reminded of Men in Black 2 when John was watching the "interviews".

Arrghman
February 20th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Rhade Just a personal thing - I've never really liked these types of episodes dating back to the ISN special reports they used to do on B5. [/B]

Personal opinion I guess... I loved the first B5 ep where they did that ;)

Mike
February 20th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Rhade
^ How'd you guess? :D

Nice! U of M is one of the best schools in the world, I would be quite proud :D.

Instead, I'm an alumni of Oakland University(and employee). At least it's better than Michigan State! ;)

Mike
February 20th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Just to address the topic, I'm not a big fan of 'acted' testimonials. That nearly killed the entire episode for me, it's a pet peeve of mine. The interviews were about as genuine as those on an infomercial. It was enough to remind me that John's Earth is quite fictional ;).

Guinan
February 21st, 2003, 05:06 AM
You mean it isn't real? :eek:

Arrghman
February 21st, 2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Mike
The interviews were about as genuine as those on an infomercial. It was enough to remind me that John's Earth is quite fictional ;).

Well not much on a fictional show is genuine to begin with... ;)

Mike
February 22nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
That's why I think it's important to avoid situations that juxtopose the reality from the fiction.

McC
February 23rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Sorry about the delay! I had company this weekend, so I was indisposed. The results for this week's ep are below and can also be found at The Official 3DG FarScape Forums Episode Ratings Guide (http://www.mcc3d.com/farscape)!

"A Constellation of Doubt" maintained the trend in this half of season four of being a very solid episode overall, garnering a 8.60, which is up 0.14 from last week's episode. Voters increased to a record-breaking 15 this week! The Median and Mode ratings for this episode were 9. The seasonal average to this point has increased to 7.94. The average number of voters for the season remains at 11.

Straight Stats
Overall Avg. Rating: 8.60
Number of Voters: 15
Current Ranking: 4
Season Avg. Rating: 7.94
Season Avg. Voters: 11

Enjoy! :)

Mike
February 23rd, 2003, 06:05 PM
Well done Ryan! Interesting as always!