PDA

View Full Version : To compliment Blue Mars; Blue Venus

Kakaze
March 2nd, 2003, 08:40 PM
http://members.aol.com/kasei/bluevenus.jpg

Proximo
March 3rd, 2003, 05:12 AM
I saw someone attempt this a long time ago, but your version is way better. :)

F.A.M.
March 3rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Very nice start....but I hope that the version that you're working on is larger than this one...

Kakaze
March 3rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks!

That was downsized from 8000 some by 4000 some pixels. Direct from the magellan dataset.

It's not pefect though :( I had to make the magellan data into 4 tiles and tile them together in photoshop, and they're "slightly" off from each other so you can see the seams where the heights were different, if you look closely. Plus it's not made to go on a sphere so the top and bottom of the planet will be distorted. There's a way I can fix that, IIRC, but I don't know how accurate it will be.

Kakaze
March 12th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Nother image.

http://members.aol.com/kasei/bluevenus2.jpg

Still not cylindrical :\

BRUTUS
March 14th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Very cool looking!

Can someone answer this question? In fact, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I can't recall it for certain. How did Earth form with so much water? I mean...keeping its stages of development in mind.

Also, why are Earth's landmasses less....splotchy. We have thousands of islands, but from orbit you mainly notice giant landmasses and scattered big islands. Would it be erosion, or just that Venus happens to have the terrain it does. (Obvious answer, but is it the answer?)

Kakaze
March 14th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Well, as for water...hydrogen and oxygen are two of the most common elements in the universe, with water being one of the most common molecules.

As the planet cooled, it allowed new types of molecules to form, water being one of them. Plus with a lot of the volcanic activity at the time there was a lot of outgassing of water vapour, or at least hydrogen and oxygen. Also, there have been billions of asteroid impacts to the planet and a pretty big chunk of them were most likely ice asteroids which added to the total water content.

As for the landmasses, since earth is volcanic the "land" is actually floating on a sea of magma. The current theory is that all the land was part of one super contentent million of years ago called Pangaea. Over the billions of years since, each part of that super continent were on different continental "plates". As the plates move around the magma they take the land with them. Mountain ranges are formed where the plates crash together. Islands form from coral in shallow water or from volcanos in deep water.

Erosion probably plays a big part in the fact that you don't see as many islands on earth as in this venus map, however, Earth has a LOT of water. If the levels of water dropped you would see a lot more islands, and if they raised you would see a lot less land period.

Over a few million years after the terraformation of Venus, a lot of those little islands would probably be reduced to rocky highplaces under the water.

BRUTUS
March 14th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Would that be simultaneous with the atmosphere forming or would one lead to the other? And wouldn't most come from the volcano outgassing, otherwise, from where would it come? Working its way out of the soil?

Kakaze
March 14th, 2003, 11:34 PM
It would be simultaneous with the atmosphere. Water vapour is a big part of the atmosphere to begin with.

And the majority of the water came from outgassing...the majority of our atmosphere in generall came from outgassing. And there was no soil...soil is a byproduct of the decay of bio matter. There was probably a lot of sand and grit from eruptions and asteriod impacts, but until the actual biosphere started to evolve beyond one celled organisms, there wouldn't've been any soil to speak of.

scaramanga
March 15th, 2003, 09:05 AM
I doubt if venus will ever be cool enough ;)

Kakaze
March 15th, 2003, 07:23 PM
The only reason venus is in such a bad state is because it barely rotates.

Half the planet is being cooked while the other half is being frozen.

If we could find a way to give it a normal rotation things would start to cool down then we could go in and terraform it proper like.