PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Timing"

Mike
March 9th, 2003, 09:11 PM
This is it, the final episode. Tell us what you think!

Proximo
March 10th, 2003, 04:10 AM
I think I'm going to cry...

Proximo
March 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Now I've seen it, I am going to cry...

They killed them! They freakin killed them! And then to leave it on a bloody cliffhanger like that, the bastards! They can kiss my ass...

:(

Spiller
March 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM
*sniff sniff*

A really good episode :) Although it was a really sad ending :cry:... but, I assume:

That in the next season they'd be ressurected. They were split into crystals, so those people who shot them could probably reform them or something...

*hands out tissues*

moovok
March 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
I have to admit, when I watched the episode, the voice over guy said "That's the end, but check out the Farscape website" and I was like... has the SciFi channel said "okay, maybe we might do another season"

Okay, what I thought!

If you looked closely at the bomb John gave Scorpy, it said "Dear John", well, everyone knows dear john letters mean goodbye.

It was also great to see the entire season's in a quick flash, it was great. And I was so sad to see them get everything so right. I was gonna give it a 7 because basically it was an okay episode, but the last few minutes, where John asks Aeryn to marry him and everything, and then BOOM, I felt so sorry for them.

DAMN SCIFI CHANNEL, GIVE US SEASON 5!!!!

Arrghman
March 13th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Uhhhhhhh...

...wow.

Proximo
March 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM
By the way, I voted 9 because I'm heart broken.

moovok
March 15th, 2003, 08:02 AM
that's a point, didn't nobody mention about

Chiana. She's blind. Poor girl. Using her powers to help Moya, she's lost her eyesight. Will she ever get it back?

McC
March 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM
Holy crap.

Yeah, holy crap.

Yeah, still holy crap.

Okay, wow. That was possibly one of the best episodes, well, ever. And you guys are totally overreacting ;) For one thing, the guy at the end said, "Neutralize targets for acquisition" or something like that. IOW, they can be reconstructed. Besides, this was written and filmed as a season finale. You don't kill the two main stars of your show between seasons, even on FarScape ;) They'll be back.

And so will FarScape. It didn't say "The End," it said "To be continued." And it will be. Some day, some where, FarScape will return. Have faith.

DK, BB, CB, and everyone -- you guys rock.

Thomas P
March 21st, 2003, 06:06 PM
I also voted 9 as I was pissed at BH and SciFi. Except for Stargate I have no, none, zero, nill .... not one frellin reason to watch there stupid ass horror-fantasy-have no idea what thier fan base channel is - channel. And to have that little thank you at the end made me feel like I had just bent over to get my thank you.

Guinan
March 21st, 2003, 06:15 PM
I was ready to vote a 10 untill saw the very end. :eek: :cry: :( :cry:
They just can't leave us like this!

What was going on with Scorpy and Sikozu?? :wtf: Did he just kill her?? I"m going to have to watch this a couple more times...

Goddam Sci Fi channel!!!!! :rage: I"m with Thomas.... I'm not watching the crap they are dishing out except for Stargate! And I didn't watch Children of Dune!

Rustedborg
March 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM
I firmly believe that the single most important moment in a movie or a TV series is the ending. If the ending doesn't work, it ruins the whole movie or the whole series in some cases.

If that was the last Farscape episode ever, then Farscape is the worse TV series ever.

It was a WONDERFUL cliffhanger, and if this is just a "season" finale and not a "series" finale then the episode was perfect.

But if THIS is how we're supposed to end the series, I am very upset. After all the crud that SciFi Channel has pulled in the last year I suspected that the series finale for Farscape would have problems, but this is pathetic.

I still have a "shred" of faith that Farscape will return, and I hope it does ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for nothing SciFi Channel.

McC
March 21st, 2003, 06:23 PM
Don't vote down the ep because of SFC. Vote on the ep based on its merits and faults, not SFC's faults (it doesn't really have merits ;)).

No, Scorpy didn't kill her, at least that's not the impression I got. It was just a little bondage. Ever see "Rising Sun?" Some women liked to be choked :wtf: Don't ask me why...but apparently it's true.

McC
March 21st, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Rustedborg
It was a WONDERFUL cliffhanger, and if this is just a "season" finale and not a "series" finale then the episode was perfect.

But if THIS is how we're supposed to end the series, I am very upset. After all the crud that SciFi Channel has pulled in the last year I suspected that the series finale for Farscape would have problems, but this is pathetic.

I don't know how much you know about the background of FarScape's cancellation, but this was filmed as a season finale, with an expected fifth season to follow up on what happened. SFC pulled the plug a few days shy of the final day of filming, at which point there was nothing to be done. And for all intents and purposes, this is a season finale. FarScape is not over. It's just over on SFC.

Rustedborg
March 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
I firmly believe that the single most important moment in a movie or a TV series is the ending. If the ending doesn't work, it ruins the whole movie or the whole series in some cases.

If that was the last Farscape episode ever, then Farscape is the worse TV series ever.

I still have a "shred" of faith that Farscape will return, and I hope it does ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for nothing SciFi Channel.

Vertigo1
March 21st, 2003, 07:59 PM
I'm going to say one thing......

I WANT MORE! *cries*

Ohh, the Save Farscape ad aired here too!

Arrghman
March 21st, 2003, 08:16 PM
I thought it was going to air here, but sadly it didnt :(

Kakaze
March 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM
I seriously hope every one of the major people involved with the decision to cancel Farscape contracts a particularly virulent strain of Flesh Eating Streptococci and die.

How the **** can they give us these amazing last episodes and then pull the ****ing rug from under us like this?

Bastards!

Kakaze
March 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM
Since when do we censor?

McC
March 21st, 2003, 08:41 PM
Censor? :wtf:

Did someone edit your post?

Kakaze
March 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
You don't see the asterisks?

McC
March 21st, 2003, 10:17 PM
I do, but I figured you did that yourself...

:confused:

Krystal
March 22nd, 2003, 09:25 AM
The episode was awesome, absolutely great. I totally enjoy it. At first I was angry when I see the words at the end To be continued but later think is good it end this way because is someone have the insight of take Farscape they could have great possibilities to work and begin again. :) It was great to see John and Aeryn have at last a resolution to their relationship and so sad to see how it ends and that we won't see it anymore. Although hope is the last thing one lost, so I hope in a near or far future we could see more. Of course I prefer in the near future. :( I have to say that Farscape always was unconventional, and they begin and end in the same way. In unconventional ways. That is why I love this series so much. :D This deserves a 10, definitely it was awesome.

Captain Zefram Mann
March 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Wow.

Kakaze
March 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by McC
I do, but I figured you did that yourself...

:confused:

I don't censor myself.

Guinan
March 22nd, 2003, 02:43 PM
Did anyone else notice Crihtons aformation? :)
......I"m not smart enough and dammit nobody likes me!

moovok
March 22nd, 2003, 03:49 PM
I noticed the bomb. But DAMN THEM, I agree.

At the end of the day, if this IS the last ever Farscape episode, and there's not another one done (not saying there might not be, just saying it MIGHT happen that there's no more), what a way to end.

We're all thinking of how we'd like it to go on. What's gonna happen next. If Farscape was gonna finish, going out with a bang, with everyone's jaw dropped, and wanting more is always a great finish.

And who knows? SciFi and everyone at Farscape might have staged the whole thing. SciFi Channel might go :p Farscape's back for Season 5, and shock us all. You never know, they might be doing this for the publicity (god I hope so).

Well, that's my thoughts. I think they're all staging the thing, that they're doing a Season 5, and that its all a big hoo haa. But if not, well... I'll still be smiling, cause GOD DAMN, what a great last episode.

Akiela Xal
March 23rd, 2003, 02:53 PM
Ok, I'm new to this particular forum, but I've gotta admit I voted the episode down. It was way to scattered, even for the "unconventional" FarScape. The only _good_ thing was Crighton and Aeryn getting "engaged" at the end. I enjoyed Chiana calling D'Argo and Rigel idiots over misreading things. Unfortunately it was a terrible episode...not the worst I've seen, but still bad. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the series, but not this episode. It was poorly written, even for a cliffhanger... and here are some of my reasons:

D'Argo - Too much of a woose. A warrior just sit there and do nothing? C'mon.
Rigel - Not vocal enough.
Scorpy - Won't this guy ever DIE! and what's with the pink Easter Bunnies...
Sikozu - should die. She's been too unreliable anyway and deserved to be strangled
Pilot/Moya - Finally Pilot got some balls, too bad he forgot what they were for...
Chiana - Yah, she's blind, but that's nothing new. Each time it happens, it takes longer to regain her vision, one day it will catch up to her, but not yet.
Stark - Never should have brought him back to begin with. Idiot the first time, twice as bad the second.

Oh, yah, Aeryn and John caught off guard? Not on a dare. :rage:

McC
March 23rd, 2003, 06:26 PM
Rygel and D'Argo have grown up significantly since the beginning. D'Argo, while he is the captain, is somewhat deferential to John these days. It's just who he's become. He's at peace with himself, for the most part, so he now seeks peace for his friend. Rygel, on the other hand, while still a little twerp, recognizes the importance of the people who have saved his life and sacrificed for him.

Now, as to getting caught -- they've established that tracking Moya after a starburst is extremely difficult, especially after multiple starbursts. I don't think they expected anyone to be on that planet. Additionally, they're mostly trying to get away from the PKs and the Scarrans, so getting caught by a complete unknown -- I can buy that. Additionally, I got the impression that it all happened very fast, meaning D'Argo would have had no time to do anything.

Scorpy should be dead, or Harvey? Harvey's known for crazy, whacko stuff...although I thought the bunnies were whacko even for him ;) But I don't really think it detracted from the ep...but hey, that's me :) As for Sikozu...why does everyone assume she was strangled to be killed? She and Scorpy were having kinky bondage sex. At least, that's what I saw.

As to Stark, he's...weird. He was a really cool character until Zhaan died, and then he went whacko (even for Stark), and that was just...odd.

But anyway, that's my response :) Take it or leave it.

Vertigo1
March 23rd, 2003, 09:10 PM
Theres one thing I don't understand....

They never explained why Stark was so mad at John to even make that game (ref: John Quixote")

McC
March 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM
Zhaan died in a wormhole, as a result of John's tireless pursuit. As such, Stark believed that Zhaan died because of John. "Died for the love of you," as they put it in "John Quixote." I think he made it shortly after leaving Moya, since he seems to be less mad at John now.

Artemis
March 24th, 2003, 10:37 AM
My main complaint about the episode is that it went by too fast. I think it was great of DK and RB to not change the ending. I knew they said in interviews that they discussed changing it so it wouldn't be a cliff hanger but decided to keep it the way they originally wrote it. It would have been so easy to do but they have faith that Farscape can't die. They had me fooled for a while, I look at the clock and it is 5 minutes to 9 and everything is falling in place and I think just maybe it will have a happy ending and then bam!
As for the pink bunny scene, well he is called Harvey, he had to at least look like Harvey for once but maybe some of you young-uns don't know the reference to the old Jimmy Stuart movie, I know I had to explain it to one friend.
The ‘dear John' I think was just meant as a goodbye to Scorpy, not anything larger.
And the goodbye to his father :cry: And poor D'Argo standing there with no way to do anything for them. :cry:
But the big question is: Where did John get the boat? I don't think that is standard Moya equipment.

Proximo
March 24th, 2003, 10:41 AM
I get the feeling he took it with him when they visited earth that time.

Artemis
March 24th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Why would he bring aboard a boat?

And I have to add that I loved seeing the fan commercial during the episode.

moovok
March 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM
To do some fishing :)

Arrghman
March 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo1
Theres one thing I don't understand....

They never explained why Stark was so mad at John to even make that game (ref: John Quixote")

"Why are you doing this?"
"Because I love you... and more importantly Crichton loves you..."

Zhaan gave Aeryn her spiritual energy because she loved both her and Crichton. Also, the real Stark wasn't mad at Crichton like that... he just went and sold John's memories to make a game. Part of Stark's personality was included, as the avatar, and it was the GAME Stark that blamed John for Zhaan's death... not necessairly the real Stark.

Guinan
March 25th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Proximo
I get the feeling he took it with him when they visited earth that time.

Mebbe the boat was one of the Christmas presents Aryen got John. ;)

moovok
March 25th, 2003, 10:17 AM
What other presents with Aeryn get John?

Artemis
March 25th, 2003, 10:40 AM
She got him the TV. Don't you remember the scene where she handed him the remote control and said that the rest of it is in his quarters?

Mike
March 25th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I was very disappointed with this episode. Using my limited understanding of TV production, all I can say is that the episode suffered from very bad editing and a very badly paced teleplay. One moment they are collapsing the wormhole, the next we see Moya floating in a blue ocean. There are too many moments where I was asking myself, what happened? In what I feel has been a very disappointing season, this was a very disappointing conclusion to the franchise.

Several key points that ruined the episode for me was the contrived nature of getting the two of them out on a love-boat so that they could have a romantic spot to spill the beans and then get fried. And the 2nd point that ruined the climax is that it's quite obvious they are not lost forever. The success of this tragic moment rests entirely on its believeability. It didn't help matters when this badly voiced and synced puppet turned up to give us a few cheesy laughs before it inflicted this 'trajedy'. In any case, I've had just about enough false deaths on Farscape ;).

It's really quite sad because the final season of Farscape has really deflated my interest in the franchise.

McC
March 25th, 2003, 05:12 PM
FarScape is unique among many shows because it doesn't bother with saying "We did this to get to this point," such as collapsing the wormhole and then heading back to the water planet. It's extra details that don't matter, don't really add to the story, and would take up otherwise important time to tell the meat of the story. "Captain's log, this happened" is a pain-in-the-ass contrivance to fill in the blanks, IMO, that don't need to be filled in. People should fill them in on their own ;)

FarScape is also unique because of its pacing style. Because so much needs to be packed into so small a time period, the pacing on FarScape is very quick, the cuts very tight. More happens in a single "act" (time between American commercial breaks) of FarScape than most entire episodes of other TV shows. As such, it'll leave you feeling winded. I don't know why I need to be telling you this, though, Mike ;) But, damn man, 0? There wasn't a single thing about the episode you liked?

Mike
March 25th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I understand Farscape's unique story-telling style quite well. But it's important that the story transition naturally from one scene to the next. Otherwise, you're really left with the feeling that they've just edited the hell outta the episode and you're missing a few pieces. I thought this episode was especially bad at it, as if they crammed too much into one package. Even if this wasn't the series finale, I'd still be very disappointed in the episode.

I did like a few things, mostly story-direction related. I like what they've done with Scorpius, putting him back on a command carrier with his jealous Braca play-thing. I was far more interested in seeing this aspect of the series continue than seeing how the Moya crew gets out of its 'temporary' crisis. I was also very amused by the crew's playfulness in this episode. But I was confused by the play on John's problem with commitment. After ALL they've been through, the last thing I'd expect to see debated is John's ability to commit to Aeryn. I thought that was just a disappointing road to take with his character, and definatly inconsistent.

Artemis
March 26th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Mike
But I was confused by the play on John's problem with commitment. After ALL they've been through, the last thing I'd expect to see debated is John's ability to commit to Aeryn. I thought that was just a disappointing road to take with his character, and definatly inconsistent.
I don't remember that and I watched it twice. Did I miss something? :confused:

McC
March 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM
I think he means that bit with him and D'Argo and her and Chiana in the beginning of the episode. I'll admit, the first part of the episode had me a bit confused, but once things got going, I thought it was a fantastic episode.

Artemis
March 26th, 2003, 11:43 AM
If I am remembering it right I believe they were talking about a commitment to a course of action not his commitment to Aeryn. It did seem to jump into the episode quickly with the intial discussion of the overheard transcript being a way of saying what me missed between episodes without actually spending the time to show them leaving and receiving the transmission....

moovok
March 26th, 2003, 04:17 PM
I was very disappointed with this episode. Using my limited understanding of TV production, all I can say is that the episode suffered from very bad editing and a very badly paced teleplay. One moment they are collapsing the wormhole, the next we see Moya floating in a blue ocean. There are too many moments where I was asking myself, what happened?

If you've watched Farscape, you'll notice they do that a lot in most episodes. It's usually good to do that, makes you make your own mind how they got there, etc. Blair Witch is only scary in some people's minds because they imagine what's happened, rather than seeing a creepy rubber suited man. Farscape does that in a way, they allow you to imagine "how they got there" and if its really important how they got there, they let you know.

It didn't help matters when this badly voiced and synced puppet turned up to give us a few cheesy laughs before it inflicted this 'trajedy'. In any case, I've had just about enough false deaths on Farscape ;).

Cheesy laughs? I didn't find him amusing or in anyway trying to give cheesy laughs. Unless you mean Rygel, etc. I thought that threw us off, it definately threw me off. If you're meaning the guy in the spaceship that attacks Aeryn, then again I state: "Cheesy laughs?"

And again, how do you know its false deaths? Zhaan died. Aeryn did die, but was only brought back by Zhaan. Scorpious didn't technically get killed in Season 3 ending (we didn't know what happened), and in Season 4, when he was shot, we knew he was somewhat alive, since he talked with S woman (the one who walks on walls, you know). So we all knew he was alive.

What other false deaths do you speak?

Anyway, we all have our own opinions, but cheesy laughs? Complaining about editing, from jumping from them destroying the wormhole to going to an ocean scene, they've done that many times in other episodes, and you probably like them.

Mike
March 26th, 2003, 09:16 PM
btw, I gave the episode a score of 6, not 0.

I thought the attacking alien was a cheesy effect. I didn't laugh, but I was horrified by how poorly done it was. I think I got less tolerant of the fantastical creature FX on Farscape during the 4th season. I'm sure, over time, that will resolve itself. It was a clever design and special effect, but I was always aware that it was just that. I think I would have been more comfortable with an actor in makeup, something Farscape was getting really good at with the last episodes of the season. The Scaran and Charid makeup really put Star Trek to shame.

In regards to the choppyness of this episode, a lot of it comes down to a liberal use of 'fill in the blanks' methodology. I understand it, but some executions turn out better than others. It's up to the producers and screenplay writers to hide the fact that they are skipping things. If you're aware of the gaps, then they are just too big. If I didn't know better, I'd say this technique comes out of poor decision making on what kind of story they could tell in what amount of time.

Lumikko
March 27th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Hey, I actually remembered to vote this time!

I gave it a "9!" A great, but not quite perfect episode. Artemis and I were sitting there watching, and like she said in her post, thought that there might actually be a happy ending. I was expecting the usual cliff-hanger, and in the end was not disappointed; we got a hell of a cliff-hanger.

Rygel showed once again that even puppets can grow as people.

Noranti did explain why they were going to the ocean planet, to heal Moya's wounds, which were probably pretty severe, given that she was defenseless. The extended starburst probably didn't help things, either. And since she said the name of the planet, she must have known something about it, and not expected any hostile actions.

It's been a great 4 years of episodes. Hopefully it's not really the end.

McC
April 8th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Well, if this isn't the latest I've ever done one of these ;) Anyway, the voting for the final episode of FarScape on the Sci-Fi channel is complete! The results for this week's ep are below and can also be found at The Official 3DG FarScape Forums Episode Ratings Guide (http://www.mcc3d.com/farscape)!

"Bad Timing" came in at 8.50, a solid finish for an equally solid second-half of season four. An amazing sixteen people voted on this episode, breaking all previous records. The Median rating was 9.5 while the Mode rating was 10, which reflects that generally speaking, this episode was easily among the finest (in fact, none of the final seven episodes ever scored below a 9 in these two categories). The seasonal average to this point has increased to 8.18. The average number of voters for the season remains at 11.

Straight Stats
Overall Avg. Rating: 8.50
Number of Voters: 16
Current Ranking: 8
Season Avg. Rating: 8.18
Season Avg. Voters: 11

Enjoy and look for overall season statistics coming soon! :)

Mike
April 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Good work Ryan! Although my thoughts on the finale are less glowing ;).

McC
April 8th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Yes, well, this is a democracy, and the people have spoken :D