PDA

View Full Version : Oberth/Miranda ancestor ship

Masao
March 15th, 2003, 11:59 PM
*Edited to remove link*
This is a small ship intended as distant common ancestor of both the Miranda and Oberth classes circa 2240 something. I took some design elements from the TAS USS Huron. I haven't settled on the nacelle position, but I think having them in line with the disc is a good compromise between the slightly raised nacelles on Oberth and the dropped nacelles on Miranda. Not quite finished yet, and the registry and name are provisional.

Thomas P
March 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Looks great so far! What are those inboard cylinders with the yellow tips?

Masao
March 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
I wanted to have some structure that sort of looked like the catamarans on NX-01 but didn't serve as nacelle supports or plasma conduits. (In this ship, the warp core is in the center of the back porch, and the plasma conduit go straight sideways.) So, I think it's some sort of sensor/machinery arcade, particulary with the forward tips being in a position similar to the sensor thingies on a Miranda.

skyhawk223
March 17th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I can sort of see the relationship, especially to the Oberth with the dark patches on the top rear of the saucer section.

Hito
March 17th, 2003, 09:22 AM
I like the nacells in line with the hull.

Is there going to be an engineering hull slung beneath lke on the oberth?

Masao
March 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Those dark patches are probably some sort of emergency flush vents, since the nacelles on Oberth are attached directly to the hull. The nacelle supports on this ship are also pretty short, so I put similar vents on the back deck.

I one of those people who thinks the pod below Oberth is filled mostly with sensor equipment, despite what was shown on air. I designed both this ship and my earlier USS Paris to have swappable equipment hanging from a pylon. http://www.starfleet-museum.org/paris-pods.jpg So, this ship can carry a pod like Oberth's too.

I'm leaning to having the nacelles sticking straight out, but angled up a bit might be ok. Decisions, decisions.