PDA

View Full Version : Globe article on Sci-Fi without Farscape

Mike
March 17th, 2003, 09:27 PM
This is a very good article about how Sci-Fi's reworked vision has betrayed fans, especially those belonging to Farscape. Bonnie Hammer even has the audacity to say that Farscape has 'come to it's natural end'. I've never been upset by Bonnie, I always thought she just had a job to do, but to say something that is so utterly untrue is a betrayal to the intelligence of the fans. There is nothing natural about Farscape's end, it was sudden and totally unexpected. The plug was pulled at the last minute despite a well publicized contract that nearly garunteed a future for the show.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/075/living/Science_friction+.shtml

Thomas P
March 18th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks, excellent article. I know the following is all re-hashed sentiment but this article really points out BH's inconsitent outlook on the series and the future of the channel. In particular the comment on 'gee wiz' gadget shows not attracting todays audience - well Farscape has never been one of those but a terrific story of people. I can't think of a show in recent memory that was only about gee wiz and not about people. Her other comment on flagging ratings is, while true in one respect, a half truth. The show suffers from poor and inconsitent scheduling on the part of the network. I'd like to see how well a show like ER would have done if NBC had scheduled it the way SciFi does there shows.

BH is missing the point. The network has provided and looks to have potential in terms of some of the upcoming specials (Riverworld, C of Dune) but has done nothing to provide continued quality programming to fill the void between.

Mike
March 18th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Stargate is a gadget show and it's their best rated show. Farscape is a gadgetless space-show. Her point-of-view is so simplistic that it doesn't deserve debate. She'd be wise to hold her misguided reasoning to herself and state their goals simply and vaguely.

Artemis
March 19th, 2003, 10:33 AM
I don't think she really thinks about what she says. She claims they need shows that are new and fresh yet want to be mainstream, if you look at mainstream programing it isn't new and fresh, but Farscape is. She also calls movies like The Six Sense scifi, I wouldn't call that scifi unless you spell it psi-fi. Paranormal and horror are not scifi, I don't dislike them but I think she is a bit confused about the audience she is trying to reach.

Thomas P
March 19th, 2003, 11:06 AM
There is not one series I've seen in the SciFi Ch line up (new) that is scifi. Point being, I agree with Artemis' comments :D.